New Kimber Montana 30-06 for 2017

So I went to go look at a Kimber Montana chambered in 30-06 that was ordered directly from Kimber. Upon seeing it, it came with an odd colored light pea green stock that I have not seen before. The website says gray epoxy and I called Kimber and verified that the 30-06 would be gray epoxy but that is not what came in. The trigger was also a very different color than the trigger guard and barrel. The trigger guard did not feel like metal.

It essentially did not look like any stock Kimber Montana I have seen going through pictures on the internet. Anyone else had experience with recent Kimber Montanas or heard about a color change from 2016? If what I saw is the new 2017 Kimber Montana, I'll be heading over to a Tikka t3x real quick.

GKPrice

Banned
from a Kimber Montana FAN ... until something changes at Kimber America I believe a customer will get "what they decide to send you" and they'll make no excuses about it - a real shame ...... they could QC their rifles like a good rifle "should" be vetted and raise the cost $150, STILL sell them like hotcakes - Maybe the CEO should be canned ??

I'm thinking you are referring to the kimber hunter. With the pea green stock and plastic trigger guard. I could be wrong though it's been known to happen.

OP
K
I'm thinking you are referring to the kimber hunter. With the pea green stock and plastic trigger guard. I could be wrong though it's been known to happen.

I'm definitely referring to the Kimber Montana. Said Kimber Montana 84L 30-06 engraved on the side. My only thought is they cheapened the Montana to make the Subalpine and Mountain Ascent look more attractive.

I'm definitely referring to the Kimber Montana. Said Kimber Montana 84L 30-06 engraved on the side. My only thought is they cheapened the Montana to make the Subalpine and Mountain Ascent look more attractive.

Man that would suck if they cheapened the look of the Montana I've always thought they were a great looking gun.

OP
K
Man that would suck if they cheapened the look of the Montana I've always thought they were a great looking gun.

Yea, I thought the dark grey and green's were good. I preferred the dark grey but I would be happy with either. I was pretty bummed when I saw the gun though and I still can't find one online that I think matches what I saw.

OP
K
from a Kimber Montana FAN ... until something changes at Kimber America I believe a customer will get "what they decide to send you" and they'll make no excuses about it - a real shame ...... they could QC their rifles like a good rifle "should" be vetted and raise the cost $150, STILL sell them like hotcakes - Maybe the CEO should be canned ??

That's funny you say that because the guy at the gun store said something similar. They were really great guys though so I will wait to hear back on what the deal is with the rifle and why the stock is not the right color as well as why the trigger is not the right color either. They are calling Kimber next week so hopefully something good comes out of this.

mtmuley

WKR
With all the bad things I read about Kimbers, I gotta wonder why people keep buying them. mtmuley

Ronb

WKR
Cuz they're kool, and friggin light. I took a chance and got one in .270. Weighed in at 5lbs 6.76oz. Scoped and ringed 6lbs 5.52oz. Just shot it today for the first time. I'm happy! I think with practice and playing with ammo. I'll get it to sub 1 inch groups consistently. I adjusted the scope in between the 3shot groups.
0443fb7ba682f17a21d3d03f153eabc2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1913dffbf3d6fe82c6b5728f8276be85.jpg

Last edited:

mtmuley

WKR
Other cool, light rifles out there without a bad reputation. Just wondered about the continuing popularity. mtmuley

Ronb

WKR
Hey mtmuley, what gun are you talking about that competes with the Kimber at that price range. I paid $999 for mine on gunbroker new. The stock is killer. The fit and finish is awesome. Who's making a lighter mountain gun? This replaced my Tikka T3 in .270. I could never go back. Reminds me of when I upgraded from my Nikon monarchs to my Leica's. I think maybe it's not the easiest thing to shoot such a light rifle. Maybe thats why some people complain. Just like with Kuiu, some people have had some issues and just don't let it go. Doesn't mean for the most part, they're making a great product.

GKPrice

Banned
So I found a similar looking stock. It looks like it's their new 2017 moss green stock. Just not digging it as much as either the green or grey stocks from the older Kimber Montana's. Looks like the gun I saw was probably legitimate then so I will be looking elsewhere.

Heres a picture: https://k0w4el5u0m-flywheel.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/Montana-300x185.jpg

seems like I saw one of those, it was still the Kevlar stock though - that would be suicide to change the stock and not advertise it, I'd think not even Kimber would be that nonchalant with their customers/potential customers

GKPrice

Banned
I must be the lucky one because each of the three Montanas that I have, all shoot better than me.

Overall I've had really good luck and I still have 2 and have recommended 5 or 6 to friends that they love - I'm really curious what's going on with Kimber America, a change somewhere in the upper echelon I'm guessing

GKPrice

Banned
After that last post I realized I was opening myself up to some criticism or questions as to why I love the Tikka so much - I really have had no problems with carrying and shooting a much lighter rifle but I hunt a lot of elk in late and late late season and if I need to stuff the magazine on a Kimber my fingers just plain hurt from the cold, I endured it for many years and then after "I got over my dislike for drop out mags" I learned to use them handily and carry 2 loaded in a leg pocket, my life has changed - My most favorite thing is to hunt high mountain bucks and "IF" I am able to do that anymore I'll always have a Kimber Montana with me, I've been waking up at night thinking about a 280 AI lately (DAMN!!)

elkguide

WKR
After that last post I realized I was opening myself up to some criticism or questions as to why I love the Tikka so much - I really have had no problems with carrying and shooting a much lighter rifle but I hunt a lot of elk in late and late late season and if I need to stuff the magazine on a Kimber my fingers just plain hurt from the cold, I endured it for many years and then after "I got over my dislike for drop out mags" I learned to use them handily and carry 2 loaded in a leg pocket, my life has changed - My most favorite thing is to hunt high mountain bucks and "IF" I am able to do that anymore I'll always have a Kimber Montana with me, I've been waking up at night thinking about a 280 AI lately (DAMN!!)

Life goes on and those mountains do seem to be getting a LOT steeper and it sure does seem to be a LOT farther to the top now and carrying a 6# 15 oz, scoped and loaded .300 WSM makes those hills almost tolerable.

OP
K
Cuz they're kool, and friggin light. Super sexy! I took a chance and got one in .270. Weighed in at 5lbs 6.76oz. Scoped and ringed 6lbs 5.52oz. Just shot it today for the first time. I'm happy! I think with practice and playing with ammo. I'll get it to sub 1 inch groups consistently. I adjusted the scope in between the 3shot groups.
0443fb7ba682f17a21d3d03f153eabc2.jpg

1913dffbf3d6fe82c6b5728f8276be85.jpg

If that rifle is what I saw, I would definitely have went home with it. Nice setup

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Kimber has had the green montanas (and ascents) on their website for months.

I wanted one that wasn't green so I made sure to buy one because I didn't want to get stuck with a green either. Not sure about your trigger though. Mine looks normal.

OP
K
Kimber has had the green montanas (and ascents) on their website for months.

I wanted one that wasn't green so I made sure to buy one because I didn't want to get stuck with a green either. Not sure about your trigger though. Mine looks normal.

They have but if you click the long actions, it says gray epoxy under the specs and when I called Kimber directly, I was fed the same information. I'd also say that the picture on the website looks nothing like what actually came. If it was the green color on the website or the same green color I have seen older Kimbers with, I'd be all over it.

After having to wait weeks for that Kimber to come in only to be disappointed, I went over and snagged a Tikka t3x lite to cheer me up! After feeling the Tikka, it does seem like the best value for the money. I will be seeing how it shoots later today

Last edited: