New Kimber Open Country - Does this look normal?

Ithaca37

FNG
Hi all, just picked up a new Kimber Open Country in .308 Win. During initial cleaning I noticed something that seemed strange, or at least different to me when compared to my other rifle. The rear of the barrel is not flat. Instead, on the right hand side (approximately 3pm location) there appears to be a split and I see a little ledge / notch machined in there. I'm a relative newbie (mostly a shotgun whitetail hunter) and this has me stumped.

Might be a stupid question...can anyone tell me what this is for?

Best I could do for a picture is below...

RearBarrel.jpg

Grumman

WKR
Another tidbit I learned recently from a forum. Look in there and you should see a B or C stamped on the barrel indicating Bergera or Criterion made barrel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
You'll see this on all bolts that have an extractor that reaches around the front of the bolt....winchester, Montana rifle co....etc.

codyadams

FNG
Yup, anything with controlled round feeding type extracter claw. Ruger M77's/Hawkeyes, 98 mausers, as stated above some of the winchesters, MRC, and so on have them too.

OP
I

Ithaca37

FNG
Another tidbit I learned recently from a forum. Look in there and you should see a B or C stamped on the barrel indicating Bergara or Criterion made barrel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting - mine's a Bergara