New Knight Ultra-lite 45 caliber muzzleloader- What bullet should I shoot?

Kopmana

FNG
Hi there, I just ordered a Knight Ultra-Lite 45 caliber muzzleloader. I am not new to the muzzleloader game, but the UL is new to me. I'm looking for advice on what bullets others are having success with out there? I would like to stay with the bullet to bore size bullets like parker productions match hunter/black max, and arrowhead XLD etc. What grain bullets should I be looking at for best accuracy? I have more than enough Blackhorn 209 and plan to play with the charge to get accuracy. Is the parker productions bullet sizer the way to go? or is it even needed if I order correct bullets? I plan to put a Leupold VX3HD on the UL. I'm hoping to be able to shoot accurately out to 300 yards. any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

OP
K

Kopmana

FNG
Hi there, I just ordered a Knight Ultra-Lite 45 caliber muzzleloader. I am not new to the muzzleloader game, but the UL is new to me. I'm looking for advice on what bullets others are having success with out there? I would like to stay with the bullet to bore size bullets like parker productions match hunter/black max, and arrowhead XLD etc. What grain bullets should I be looking at for best accuracy? I have more than enough Blackhorn 209 and plan to play with the charge to get accuracy. Is the parker productions bullet sizer the way to go? or is it even needed if I order correct bullets? I plan to put a Leupold VX3HD on the UL. I'm hoping to be able to shoot accurately out to 300 yards. any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.
I forgot to mention, I plan to hunt deer/elk with whatever bullet powder combo I end up getting best accuracy with. I assume I will need a tougher bullet that still expands well at low velocities, just not sure which one that would be.

ENCORE

WKR
The match hunter isn't designed to be shot at production rifle velocities. The black max would be the better of the two. The XLD's are my favorite bullet for accuracy but are really designed for higher velocity. I'll be attending a 1k match at Camp Atterbury and will be using the 350gr XLD's. Rules for BH are 120grs volume.
I'd seriously consider using the Fury bullets. They are accurate to 300yds and are very good hunting bullets. I actually hunt with them myself. If you plan to shoot bullet to bore, I'd suggest buying a sizing die. Arrowheadrifles.com has them.

OP
K

Kopmana

FNG
The match hunter isn't designed to be shot at production rifle velocities. The black max would be the better of the two. The XLD's are my favorite bullet for accuracy but are really designed for higher velocity. I'll be attending a 1k match at Camp Atterbury and will be using the 350gr XLD's. Rules for BH are 120grs volume.
I'd seriously consider using the Fury bullets. They are accurate to 300yds and are very good hunting bullets. I actually hunt with them myself. If you plan to shoot bullet to bore, I'd suggest buying a sizing die. Arrowheadrifles.com has them.
Thank you for all the info, this is exactly what I was looking for! I will stay away from the ones you mentioned, and take a look at the Furies.

OP
K

Kopmana

FNG
Just a little update, I went with the 45 caliber 300 grain Pittman Aeromax bullet, sized to .4507" These bullets are absolutely amazing, Kyle does a great job, and runs an awesome business. I shot a 3 shot group with them @ 100yds that was .375" center to center, That same day my buddy and I shot 3 shots each at a 500 yard steel plate, our overall group size between the two muzzies was easily within the lungs of a deer. We found 84 grains by weight of BH209 and a wool wad below the Pittman aeromax is a accurate combo. averaging 2,044fps. The bullets push down the barrel with decent resistance, but not too hard. I will hopefully find out in a month how they perform on a NM muley.

ENCORE

WKR
Just a little update, I went with the 45 caliber 300 grain Pittman Aeromax bullet, sized to .4507" These bullets are absolutely amazing, Kyle does a great job, and runs an awesome business. I shot a 3 shot group with them @ 100yds that was .375" center to center, That same day my buddy and I shot 3 shots each at a 500 yard steel plate, our overall group size between the two muzzies was easily within the lungs of a deer. We found 84 grains by weight of BH209 and a wool wad below the Pittman aeromax is a accurate combo. averaging 2,044fps. The bullets push down the barrel with decent resistance, but not too hard. I will hopefully find out in a month how they perform on a NM muley.
Might want to use a volume measure and measure out 10, then weigh each. Average the 10 by weight. You'll get increased velocity and still be within the 120grs volume recommendation.

BPI_Outdoors

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Shoot the 270 E-Max or the 275 BE. That gun has a 1 in 20 twist barrel.