New Kowa Spotters

The great debate. I am looking at getting the 55M and I have had a couple buddies steer me away from 55M and tell me to jump up to the 77M. Both said the FOV was terrible on the 55M which basically takes away any glassing ability, so I would end up only using it to look at something after I found it with my binos. At that point I'm wondering if the wait penalty is worth it. Now maybe the 66M is the answer. Or maybe I look to get a swaro 65M.

fbhandler

WKR
I think anyone using the 55 series for “glassing” will be disappointed, but it does exactly what I bought it for, a better look... and for its price and weight it’s hard to beat (it’s half the size and $1000 cheaper then the 77 and works well on a light tripod).

I was set on picking up a 77 to compliment my 55 for when I am “glassing” with my spotter from the truck or high magnification is necessary, but looking at the specs I wouldn’t be to keen on packing it around. If they do come out with a 66 and it’s comparable in size and weight to the 55 and the price isn’t astronomical this just might be “the one and done spotter”...

tdhanses

WKR
The great debate. I am looking at getting the 55M and I have had a couple buddies steer me away from 55M and tell me to jump up to the 77M. Both said the FOV was terrible on the 55M which basically takes away any glassing ability, so I would end up only using it to look at something after I found it with my binos. At that point I'm wondering if the wait penalty is worth it. Now maybe the 66M is the answer. Or maybe I look to get a swaro 65M.
I don’t understand guys that glass for long periods behind a spotter, just not fun and messes with my eyes keeping one closed for long periods. I’ve found I glass 90% of the time with my binos and have a much better fov and my eyes don’t get all jacked up. To me a spotter is exactly for what you said, looking at something after you found it with binos that needs a better look.

I don’t even use my 77 with wide angle eyepiece to just glass looking for game, it’s also for looking at animals I need a better view of.

tdhanses

WKR
I think anyone using the 55 series for “glassing” will be disappointed, but it does exactly what I bought it for, a better look... and for its price and weight it’s hard to beat (it’s half the size and $1000 cheaper then the 77 and works well on a light tripod).

I was set on picking up a 77 to compliment my 55 for when I am “glassing” with my spotter from the truck or high magnification is necessary, but looking at the specs I wouldn’t be to keen on packing it around. If they do come out with a 66 and it’s comparable in size and weight to the 55 and the price isn’t astronomical this just might be “the one and done spotter”...
No way if they come out with a 65 will it be close in price to the 55, it‘ll be closer to swaro ATX 65 pricing. So $1400 more then the 55 is on sale right now. Also I bet the 77 gets phased out if they bring a 65 or 66 pure fluorite to join the 55 and 88.

sneaky

"DADDY"

The 77 isn't $1000 more expensive than the 55 series. Maybe $5-600 more. If they do a 66 upgrade, I'm doubting the size will be equivalent to the 55 series, that would be difficult to get a 66 lens in a short body like that and get focus and everything dialed. I can see it slotting in a pound or pound a half lighter than a 77 all in, but more expensive if it's really going pure fluorite.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Smokey12

Lil-Rokslider
Makes me think with the current 55 sale that maybe they're upgrading the 55 eyepiece...

NoWiser

WKR
I had the 55. I bought it strictly to get a closer look at animals I found with my binos. The field of view was so small that I struggled to relocate animals with it. I found myself wishing I had my 664 even with the weight penalty. After a week of late AZ elk hunting, I sold the 554. I liked the size and weight of it, but was otherwise just not impressed.

I like my 55 but you gotta take it for what it is. It's a small, really lightweight spotter and you're not going to be able to compete with the larger alpha glass. I never use it to scan hillsides, but I find it very useful to get a closer look at game I've found with the 10x42's and when I'm not using, or got tired of packing around the BTX. It does that job well for me and it's not made to scan with IMO.

Smokey12

Lil-Rokslider
I'm gonna take the silence as a maybe.. That could be me wishfully thinking though.

Matt G.

WKR
Serious would ditch the 770 for an equivalent 66 with WA eye piece...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Justace

FNG
Following as I was hoping to order a 77 in the coming weeks but would prefer the 66.