New Kowa Spotters

I've come across a few rumors that Kowa is coming out with a pure flourite spotter in the 66mm objective. Anyone heard the same outside of Rokslide posts? Any ETA? The current sales on the 77mm lead me to believe it's coming soon...

Matt G.

WKR
If that is true, it is going to cost me some coin...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

When I chatted with some optics dealers this last summer they mentioned a rework of the 66 series was imminent. If it could use the wide angle eyepiece it would be pretty amazing.

I talked to a rep and he said the reason the 77 doesnt have pure flourite glass was price point. If they did it in the 77 the price would've been to close to the 88. I guess Im saying if thats true it would put the 66 in a higher price class.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yeah, if they put pure fluorite glass in the 66 series that price is going to jump...a lot. I think there's an unrealistic expectation that the price won't increase much over what they are now. The 55 series lists for $1799 with a fixed eyepiece. A pure fluorite 66 would be over 2k for the body alone, and another $700 for the good eyepiece. I'd say it'll be in that $2800-$3000 range if true for body+eyepiece.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PHo

WKR
The 880 series with the fluorite lense is about $3200. If they incorporate the fluorite lense in the 660 series I doubt they would price it near the 880 series. Regardless, if a 660 Kowa with the fluorite lense can compete with an ATX65 the way the 880 series competes with an ATX85-95 I’d be VERY interested.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The 880 series with the fluorite lense is about $3200. If they incorporate the fluorite lense in the 660 series I doubt they would price it near the 880 series. Regardless, if a 660 Kowa with the fluorite lense can compete with an ATX65 the way the 880 series competes with an ATX85-95 I’d be VERY interested.
It's around 3200 now because of their winter sale, it's 3400 normally. There's no way they'll put pure fluorite in the 66 series and have it at the 773 price point. Hell, the 55 isn't much cheaper than a 77 series and it has a fixed eyepiece. It'll be $2700+ on a conservative estimate with the TE-11 eyepiece.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I used to have the Kowa 773 and I have an ATX65 now. The 773 is just as good as the atx and the 773 is a good deal cheaper. The only advantage of the atx is packability and versatility with different lens options. In my opinion of course.

Reactions: PHo

tdhanses

WKR
How much more does the 77 give you? I’ve got the 77 and very happy with it but considering downsizing to the 55
The 77 is better but the 55 is perfect for hunting unless your sheep or goat hunting then I’d use my 77. Where it shines is weight and bulk, it is always in my pack. It weighs nothing compared to the 77 and takes up half the space in the pack. The optics are clear all the way from low to high magnification. The biggest downside to the 55 over the 77 is fov, the 55 has a narrow fov but it’s the perfect combo for glassing with your binos and then once something is spotted getting a closer view, all using the same tripod and head, no need for a 2lb+ tripod and 12oz+ head.

I use this tripod with my 55 and binos and a slik 624 with my 77. The head it comes with is ok but I put an RRS head on it.

How much more does the 77 give you? I’ve got the 77 and very happy with it but considering downsizing to the 55
As stellar as the 55 is, there’s no cheating the limited light gathering of a 55mm. If you glass with limited light, you’ll wish you didn’t downsize.

tdhanses

WKR
As stellar as the 55 is, there’s no cheating the limited light gathering of a 55mm. If you glass with limited light, you’ll wish you didn’t downsize.
I haven’t done the comparison in a long time but when I first bought I did against my swaro 80hd, it doesn’t fall off 15 mins earlier, it’s mins difference, the diff wasn’t material to me enough so I sold the swaro, since then I added the 77 with extender but to me the 77 is for the range, scouting and play, the 55 is for hunting. You may lose a little detail at a mile at last light but it’s not where you’ll miss an opportunity at an animal during legal hunting hours.

Smokey12

Lil-Rokslider
Not to get too far off topic but has anyone compared the 55 to a 66 with a fixed 30 eyepiece? I also have the 20-60 eyepiece for the 66 but the 30 fixed is awesome in comparison. I just wonder how much I would gain switching to a 55..

Last edited:
I haven’t done the comparison in a long time but when I first bought I did against my swaro 80hd, it doesn’t fall off 15 mins earlier, it’s mins difference, the diff wasn’t material to me enough so I sold the swaro, since then I added the 77 with extender but to me the 77 is for the range, scouting and play, the 55 is for hunting. You may lose a little detail at a mile at last light but it’s not where you’ll miss an opportunity at an animal during legal hunting hours.
My opinion was based off my 553 vs 883. To me, there was a significant difference during the last hour of light. It wasn’t just that I could glass longer, it was during anytime of less than bright midday sun, the picture in the 553 was dimmer and I was less confident with discerning detail.

Had I not had my 883 last fall I don’t think I would have had the confidence to discern a spike-fork moose from 2 miles away one evening and decide to go for him the next day. But that is just my subjective opinion and I can respect others’ desire to go in the other direction. My decision certainly wasn’t easy.

tdhanses

WKR
My opinion was based off my 553 vs 883. To me, there was a significant difference during the last hour of light. It wasn’t just that I could glass longer, it was during anytime of less than bright midday sun, the picture in the 553 was dimmer and I was less confident with discerning detail.

Had I not had my 883 last fall I don’t think I would have had the confidence to discern a spike-fork moose from 2 miles away one evening and decide to go for him the next day. But that is just my subjective opinion and I can respect others’ desire to go in the other direction. My decision certainly wasn’t easy.
I can understand that, think it really depends on what you are hunting and where, also that 88 is much better then the swaro I had.

When my wife sees the credit card bill I will tell her it’s all your fault