New Kuiu 230- Merino/Poly Blend

TXCO

WKR
After reading about their new pullover, http://blog.kuiu.com/2012/10/30/new-merino-230-zip-t-crew/ , I am curious for opinions on how many benefits of merino may or may not be lost, particularly no smell with the fleece/poly on the inside? I view this piece as a mid weight layer/pullover and would plan on still wearing a light merino top underneath so it may not matter at all. I think the heat retention will be much better. Ive been looking for a piece that would be warmer than a 230-250 pure merino top for midweight layering and had been considering the chama hoodie from First Lite too but had some warmth concerns. I did order the Kuiu 230 and can let you know what I think when I get my hands on it this weekend.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Look forward to hearing your thoughts TXCO...I have been leery of merino/poly blend products because synthetics hold odors and and clammy when wet. Neither of these are properties I find desireable, and are part of the reason I switched to merino in the first place. I have been very happy going with merino alone, and find merino to be plenty warm without getting too hot when I am moving. That being said, if a product could truly offer "the best of both worlds" by incorporating positive qualities of synthetics then it might be worth considering. Just hard to see what advantage synthetic would offer for a midlayer....are you looking for a lightweight insulation layer? I will be watching for your review!

OP
TXCO

TXCO

WKR
It shipped 2 days ago. Im interested to try it. I really struggle to see how it wont smell as a base layer but I think it will be much warmer.

OP
TXCO

TXCO

WKR
Got mine in this weekend. I can say my initial thought is that it will be a good layering piece. It was more fitted compared to my 185, especially in the arms which I like for bowhunting. I wore it while duck hunting Sunday with a normal merino shirt underneath. Im not convinced yet about how it wont smell. It does seem to breath well and I believe would dry very quickly. I'll be trying it more next weekend but my initial impression is that it will be a great layering piece just not as a base layer if youre worried about sweat. I can replace a very light fleece jacket I normally wear on chilly mornings in the mountains with this pull over and come out ahead.

OP
TXCO

TXCO

WKR
My thoughts do turn to some of the thicker wool first lite products like the hooded chama. Ive never owned one of their thicker pieces and Im curious to hear reviews on that too.

My thoughts do turn to some of the thicker wool first lite products like the hooded chama. Ive never owned one of their thicker pieces and Im curious to hear reviews on that too.

They make some great stuff!