New Kuiu Chugach Rain Gear

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting specs. If they dropped some weight and increased abrasion resistance would this nullify the need to offer the katana and north ridge lines?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
The hood and cuffs looks simplified. Hopefully someone has been testing this? Really curious if the pack smaller.

Description makes everything sound better. There’s always a give and take. I wonder what the downside on these are. I own the original Chugach NX, just genuinely curious.

My first stab would be wind resistance as the fabric has gone lighter. 161 g/m2 vs 130 g/m2 which would allow the rest to fall in place offering better abrasion due to the fabric and weave. However, it isn’t as dense as the prior fabric.

I’ll have to get my hands on a set for next years sheep hunt.

I’ve got a set of the NX for sale in the classifieds cheap. Basically brand new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Description makes everything sound better. There’s always a give and take. I wonder what the downside on these are. I own the original Chugach NX, just genuinely curious.

My first stab would be wind resistance as the fabric has gone lighter. 161 g/m2 vs 130 g/m2 which would allow the rest to fall in place offering better abrasion due to the fabric and weave. However, it isn’t as dense as the prior fabric.

I’ll have to get my hands on a set for next years sheep hunt.
I here ya but I have faith that it won’t disappoint. There’s some really impressive fabrics used in European mountaineering brands, maybe this will be like those?

Kostrize

WKR
Some impressive weight and abrasion specs. Seems like Kuiu is moving to nylon faced rain gear. Makes me think the Yukon will get revamped next

Was considering the Kutana rain gear but the Chugach seems like it will do the same thing in a more pacakable set. Kuiu sure has a lot of bleed over between their product lines

Venom One

WKR
I just bought a Kryptek Altitude Takur jacket, but I think I might return it and try the new Kuiu. The Kryptek is definitely a nice piece - the hood adjustability is nice and everything seems quality made - but the sleeves are driving me nuts.

First, I had to exchange a large for a medium because it was just too big everywhere - sleeves are ridiculously long (my Sitka rain jacket is a large and it fits like the Kryptec medium in the chest area). In medium, the Kryptek sleeves are still WAY too long. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal because the wrist closure would nullify the issue, but the the other problem is that the sleeve diameter is WAY too big. The sleeve doesn't taper enough in the forearm and wrist areas so when you cinch down the wrist closure it creates a parachute of hanging material above the wrist closure that just flops around (very annoying). If they fixed either problem - shorten the length or taper the sleeve more - it would probably resolve the issue.

I like the jacket overall. The pit zips, extended tail, zippers, and color pattern are great, but after standing in the shower for 15 min testing the waterproofness, the sleeves were already driving me crazy. I also found the cool little bicep/shoulder pockets to be nearly impossible to open/close when wearing the jacket. Sucks because I've been drooling over this jacket for a while.

I think the Kryptek hood is definitely a superior design though. The Kryptek has an independent collar that will catch any rain that slips inside the hood and route it back out. On the Kuiu, it'll just run around the hood edge and straight inside.

Last edited:

j33

WKR
Got a set of new TR Chugachs side by side with newer NX. It’s much lighter, old XL is 15.0oz, new one 11.4oz. Packs smaller, see pic below. Like they said simplified construction, way less seams at the butt, thickness seems similar and material seems a little quieter and not as rough. The belt is thinner as not elastic anymore, belt is a different design we’ll see how that works.
Tossed them on for a bit, hot as balls around here so didn’t keep on long, new ones might be a touch longer inseam.

b6eef14965f2bac1c3866dd21675e4c2.jpg

d348cbaa8f933d1ad563720cba58adab.jpg

• Torain 3-layer fabric: 130 g/m²
  • Face fabric: Toray Primeflex Nylon 6/10, 50D
  • Membrane: Dermizax HDM microporous hydrophobic membrane
  • Torain seam taped waterproof construction
  • 4-way stretch
  • K-DWR water resistance
  • 30,800mm waterproofness
  • Breathability (A1 test): 10,000g/m²/24hrs
  • Breathability (B1 test): 18,400g/m²/24hrs

gdavis

Lil-Rokslider
  • Torain 3-layer fabric: 130 g/m²
  • Face fabric: Toray Primeflex Nylon 6/10, 50D
  • Membrane: Dermizax HDM microporous hydrophobic membrane
  • Torain seam taped waterproof construction
  • 4-way stretch
  • K-DWR water resistance
  • 30,800mm waterproofness
  • Breathability (A1 test): 10,000g/m²/24hrs
  • Breathability (B1 test): 18,400g/m²/24hrs
Much more “waterproof” than the kutana..... Any experience with it? Curious if the weight savings is worth it if the durability on the new Chugach isn’t much of a fall off from the kutana.

Has anybody really had a chance to test the new stuff out yet? I have a brand new set of the NX wondering if its worth the hassle and the financial hit to sell my set before its been used.

gdavis

Lil-Rokslider
I pulled the trigger on the jacket with my bday coupon to try it out. I’m headed out on a 9 day moose hunt Friday. I’ll let you know how I like it. Out of package it’s lighter/thinner than the old stuff, seems maybe a bit quieter. If the specs they advertised are true and the durability is increased/sufficient then I’ll be selling my kutana Stormshell. I used to have the NX.
Has anybody really had a chance to test the new stuff out yet? I have a brand new set of the NX wondering if its worth the hassle and the financial hit to sell my set before its been used.

I pulled the trigger on the jacket with my bday coupon to try it out. I’m headed out on a 9 day moose hunt Friday. I’ll let you know how I like it. Out of package it’s lighter/thinner than the old stuff, seems maybe a bit quieter. If the specs they advertised are true and the durability is increased/sufficient then I’ll be selling my kutana Stormshell. I used to have the NX.
Thanks man. I'm pretty close to hunting season here so would be nice to get some reviews before it starts raining. Good luck on the moose hunt

My new 3xl Chugach TR jacket is a LOT bigger than last year's model. I wear 3xl tops in everything Kuiu. 6'4" 240 lbs. Feels like I'm swimming in the new Chugach, like they skipped 3xl and this is cut like a 4xl. Even the sleeve length goes way down and covers half my palm. Waist line is very long like a parka.

It's cut like a normal brand 3xl Tall size.

So I tried on a 2xl and it fits slightly snug and the sleeves are just a bit too short. 2xl is not gonna work.

On the plus side, the material is much thinner than last year's model and stretches well.

Last edited:
My new 3xl Chugach TR jacket is a LOT bigger than last year's model. I wear 3xl tops in everything Kuiu. 6'4" 240 lbs. Feels like I'm swimming in the new Chugach, like they skipped 3xl and this is cut like a 4xl. Even the sleeve length goes way down and covers half my palm. Waist line is very long like a parka.

It's cut like a normal brand 3xl Tall size.

So I tried on a 2xl and it fits slightly snug and the sleeves are just a bit too short. 2xl is not gonna work.

On the plus side, the material is much thinner than last year's model and stretches well.
Yeah see this is the kinda stuff i was worried about the large fits me very well. That and there is just no reviews on it anywhere, i guess because guys havent had enough time to try it.

macabra11

FNG
FWIW I ended up ordering the new Chugach TR set in 2XL despite hearing that Kuiu stuff should always be ordered a size up. I am 6'3", 250 lbs and normally wear a 2XL shirt (sometimes an XLT because I have a long torso and arms) and 40/42 pants. This was my first Kuiu product ever, so I was nervous about fitment. Well let me just say that the 2xl in this product is PERFECT. Sleeve length is great and there is enough room for multiple layers underneath, or I can just go with a light baselayer and have it be a little baggy (as expected).

I absolutely love the feel of the material, stretchability and the weight. I haven't gotten a chance to test the performance, but I might have the wife hose me down in the backyard one of these days to see.

If I had any complaints it would be that it is kinda noisy and it doesn't really pack down as small as I hoped. The noise issue isn't a super big deal because I am a rifle only hunter, and I figure if it's raining, or if I am in heavy snow, then noise won't be a factor.

gdavis

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks man. I'm pretty close to hunting season here so would be nice to get some reviews before it starts raining. Good luck on the moose hunt
Got back on Thursday from the moose hunt. Rain jacket did great. Packs down good. We got rained on pretty hard for a few days, stayed dry. Didnt notice any difference in breathability really other than i did not find it to be as windproof as other rain jackets. But that could have been the coldness of the fabric against my skin when the wind was blowing. 40 degrees with rain and wind can be cold so it might be that. It seems to have great stretch, very comfortable. The durability seems to be sufficient for probably 90% of applications. It is definitely a thinner fabric than the old chugach and more stretch. I have the kutana pants, jacket and new chugach jacket. I like having the added thickness and durability on the pants so gonna be keeping the Kutana pants and the chugach jacket, selling the kutana. Oh and by the way, we got a nice bull. Spent 3 days packing this old bad boy out.

Attachments

• Moose.jpg
    Moose.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 110