New Kuiu Daypack...

Curtis C

WKR
That does look interesting. I'm guessing the 1lb estimate is without the straps or belt.

When are they expecting the arrival if the new frames and bags?

OP
HellsCanyon
I think these new day packs won't be available till near the end of 2012/early 2013. I have no idea when the new Icon frames and Bags are available if they aren't already!

What i like about it is the ability to roll it up and throw it inside your pack frame for the hike in, then day hunt out of it and STILL have the ability to bring a load of meat back on the first trip. We are really lucky as hunters to live in the age we do where we have such competitive gear companies and newer and newer stuff keeps coming out! :)

Mike

Lawnboi

WKR
I hope they put it through the wringer before selling it, seems like alot of guys were not very happy with thier ikons.

Im not ready to invest in a kuiu pack quite yet.... but thier cloths are top notch!

dotman

WKR
I personally think they as a company need more pack building experience before I'll consider getting a pack or atleast get someone on board that knows what makes a good pack. The last atempt sucked. Hard to compete with MR and Kifaru when they have so many years of testing, failures and finding out what actually works.

OP
HellsCanyon
I personally think they as a company need more pack building experience before I'll consider getting a pack or atleast get someone on board that knows what makes a good pack. The last atempt sucked. Hard to compete with MR and Kifaru when they have so many years of testing, failures and finding out what actually works.

True, but that first attempt was worlds ahead of other first time attempts. You can clearly tell that they are designed by hunters. Now how successful those hunters are is the question! :p I think this years model pack and frame look pretty excellent and I think will really work. Give them a base line pack that works (maybe this years??) Plus a year or two and i think I'd have enough confidence to buy and use one of their packs! Just my .02

Mike

dotman

WKR
I do agree they have to start somewhere but going to be hard to pull me away from Kifaru. I don't like being a crash test dummy, that's what we have Aron for :)

OP
HellsCanyon
Ha so true! And I'm anxiously waiting for my first Kifaru order to get here so I don't plan on buying another pack for a long time!! ;)

Mike

dotman

WKR
Ha so true! And I'm anxiously waiting for my first Kifaru order to get here so I don't plan on buying another pack for a long time!! ;)

Mike

Hope you have a bunch of extra cash saved up, if you thought Kuiu was addictive and expensive just wait :) I don't even like thinking how I covered their payroll in just 1 month but man it is good stuff. And someone said being a drug addict was expensive obviously wasn't a hunter :)

OP
HellsCanyon
Hope you have a bunch of extra cash saved up, if you thought Kuiu was addictive and expensive just wait :) I don't even like thinking how I covered their payroll in just 1 month but man it is good stuff. And someone said being a drug addict was expensive obviously wasn't a hunter :)

Ain't that the truth! The real question is do you regret any of those purchases??? :)
Honestly I am in the market for a new shelter. My current cheap lightweight tent is in tatters and I'm looking at something Kifaru. At this point I can't afford it and am toying with the idea of just taking a TARP or make my own silnylon floorless for this year. Its all goin to depend on the Idaho draw results this week! Lol

Mike

dotman

WKR
Nope not at all. If it will just be you and you are on a budgt I recommend the kifaru paratarp. I have the super and it is huge. I used a cheap one man buritto wrap the past 6 years. The paratarp is not that expensive and with the annex you can add a stove for a perfect little solo shelter, also keep good tabs on the classified adds on kifarus forum, they do come up and you can get a great deal, with the mega now out I bet a few come up for sale soon. But time is not on your side if you have to order.

Last edited:
OP
HellsCanyon
I'm thinking with all those mega tarp orders some super tarps will be coming up for sale! ;) It likely will be two people some of the time. I wasn't aware you could add the anex to that small of a tarp, interesting....

cmeier117

WKR
Ain't that the truth! The real question is do you regret any of those purchases??? :)
Honestly I am in the market for a new shelter. My current cheap lightweight tent is in tatters and I'm looking at something Kifaru. At this point I can't afford it and am toying with the idea of just taking a TARP or make my own silnylon floorless for this year. Its all goin to depend on the Idaho draw results this week! Lol

Mike

Just got the Super Tarp today in mail. Just save up and get it. Don't think just buy it, or the mega tarp. Also they hold their value well so you will still pay over $250. But keep your eyes peeled.

dotman

WKR
Just got the Super Tarp today in mail. Just save up and get it. Don't think just buy it, or the mega tarp. Also they hold their value well so you will still pay over $250. But keep your eyes peeled.

Did you set it up and are you sleeping in it tonight? Come on tells us what you think, bigger then you imagined? I know I was kinda shocked at the size once setup, almost feel it is too big but I love it. Mine is purely a solo shelter.

cmeier117

WKR
I just about slept in it but my wife was laughing at me and told me to get my butt inside! I got 4 packages today and she was hunting geared out by the time I got to opening the Supertarp! It is bigger than I thought. I am thinking 2 guys no issues. It is longer than I thought so gear will have to go at head or feet. But I think it is going to be perfect for me.

OP
HellsCanyon

Good advice thank you. I'm still toying with the idea of making my own... I mean I have access to a sewing machine, and can get silnylon for $10/yd at 64" wide, have thought about making my own, buying stove jack material from TI Goat and seeing what I can't put together. Don't think it would be that hard... heck I've seen my mother make prom and wedding dresses, surely I can sew together a darn tarp! ;) Or I'll likely fail and end up with a Kifaru!

Mike

cmeier117

WKR
Good advice thank you. I'm still toying with the idea of making my own... I mean I have access to a sewing machine, and can get silnylon for $10/yd at 64" wide, have thought about making my own, buying stove jack material from TI Goat and seeing what I can't put together. Don't think it would be that hard... heck I've seen my mother make prom and wedding dresses, surely I can sew together a darn tarp! ;) Or I'll likely fail and end up with a Kifaru!

Mike

I almost made one out of tyvek. I made some ditty sacks out of tyvek with a draw string. My father in-law takes a small tyvek tarp. I think it could be done just get the right needle and thread.