New Kuiu Kenai

xcutter

WKR
Considering it as an outer layer instead of Guide jacket for mid to late sept elk in Colorado. Or should this kenai really be viewed as an insulating mid layer?
I have the last revision of the Kenai Jacket. I plan to use it like I would a puffy jacket in mid September. Seems to be really warm for it's size and weight.

FWIW on this newest one. The only noticeable change is the addition of inside pockets and it's longer. Awkwardly longer in the back. I prefer the previous version much more myself.

And this new one is about an ounce heavier.

I don’t like the new as well. Maybe the insulation saturates less but I prefer the old version minus the right shoulders. They did fix that.

Considering it as an outer layer instead of Guide jacket for mid to late sept elk in Colorado. Or should this kenai really be viewed as an insulating mid layer?
I wear it for both. Outer layer for September elk in the morning and evenings, outer layer for Iowa bowhunting early and mid season, and then a mid layer under a guide jacket when it gets really cold.

FWIW on this newest one. The only noticeable change is the addition of inside pockets and it's longer. Awkwardly longer in the back. I prefer the previous version much more myself.

Longer in the sleeves too or just the body? I have the original version in a L, but a medium-tall type fit would be perfect for me.

FredBear86

Lil-Rokslider

How much longer than the previous version? That's one thing I dislike with the previous is how when I raise my arms the whole jacket rides up above waistline.

gdavis

Lil-Rokslider
For those who have owned the previous versions, does the new version have the same exterior fabric? I had the last ultra vest and was not happy with the durability and was hoping for more durability out of the new one. I know its not what it was designed for but...... a guy can hope. A kutana hybrid with a hood and pit zips would be the ultimate in my opinion.

PHo

WKR
I just got the newest version tonight. For reference I have been wearing the second version of the Kenai in a medium. I'm 5'7 with an average build. For me, the sleeves on the second version medium were a little too long, and my other gripe about them were the position of the pockets - they were placed a little too far back and just didn't feel comfortable when using them. Otherwise everything else was pretty good, the shoulders were perfect for me as well as the length. I got the newest version in a size small. The shoulders are the same width as my older medium Kenai - that is to say I think they widened the shoulders overall. The length in the new small was the same as the length in the older medium. They also fixed the pocket position and moved them forward a little, which I find a lot more comfortable. The loft was about the same so I'm expecting them to provide the same amount of warmth. It seems like the same face fabric as the previous version as well, so pretty dang quiet. To me it seems like they remedied all the things that I didn't like about the previous version, however you have to consider the fact that I ordered one size smaller that the previous version. YMMV.

Bump79

WKR
For those who have owned the previous versions, does the new version have the same exterior fabric? I had the last ultra vest and was not happy with the durability and was hoping for more durability out of the new one. I know its not what it was designed for but...... a guy can hope. A kutana hybrid with a hood and pit zips would be the ultimate in my opinion.
I also was extremely disappointed with the durability of the face fabric of the Kenai. I got it last year for Christmas and returned it a few weeks later. I wore it out and around a few times and it was falling apart on the back with snags and abrasion.

Kuiu did return it for me though but I had to pay shipping for it and the next product. Was super stoked on that.

utley010

FNG
For those layering it under the guide jacket or the peloton 240, what size are each? Do you use the same size Kenai and Guide? Or a size larger on the softshell/outer layer?

Recently bought the new Kenai jacket and was disappointed. I have not owned the older Kenai so I cannot compare the two. The insulation in the new Kenai is very underwhelming. If you hold the jacket up to the light, you can see through the jacket. It feels as if there is no isolation in the jacket at all. There is zero wind protection and wind cuts right through the jacket. I was not expecting much for wind protection as this is a mid layer, but was hoping for some. I really want to like the jacket as the fit is perfect and the materials seem very high quality. The jacket is dead silent. Unfortunately I can not justify paying $240 for a jacket with this little insulation.

I have an older version of the Kenai jacket and bought the new Kenai pants when they came out last summer. I enjoy my kenai jacket down to about 20F, and the pants were marketed to be warmer than previous kenai.I was hoping for a garment that had at or near the amount of warmth that my Grumman down jacket provides on my top half. The Grumman for me provides INSTANT, game-changing warmth in frigid temperatures. This was the level of warmth I was looking for.

Truth be told they have served their purpose ok, however I am pretty disappointed with the face fabric, and they didn’t perform to the level warmth-wise that I dreamed of when buying them.

These are my first puffy pants. They are not anywhere near as lofty as my older kenai jacket (which I love) and though they claim superior warmth to previous iterations, I don’t think these lived up to that hype. The face fabric is already super pilled up, after only one season of use. And although I have not yet managed to tear it or get any abrasions, it is not near as tough as they make it sound.

Bottom line: Did they perform better than not having a puffy pant, yes, and they are relatively warm when paired with all my other layers. Were they key on a North slope caribou trip this year, yes, it was mid 30s-50s and wet, this is probably a niche condition where I will continue to use them. Were they key on my late season Idaho mule deer hunt, yes, temps were frigid and below 0F at times, 15-25F for most of the time, although I was happy to have something, I think there is a warmer garment out there that would have served the purpose better. They are quiet, and they wick moisture quite well. However, I still carry my zip off long johns. I am also still doing quite a few pushups on the glassing knob to kick the furnace on and stay comfortable when it’s below 20 degrees. They look more like they have 3-4 seasons of use than the 1 season of use that they received.

I am still looking for a piece that fills niche of wicked, warm with a wicked warmth to weight ratio.

Any folks out there that have used these and the lost park pants, super down ultra, super down pro, or Grumman, and able to break down a direct comparison?

RSC12

FNG
Any new comments about the new version of the Kenai pants? Definitely interested in purchasing as a outer layer to throw on while glassing. I hunt the PNW so moisture is always an issue. Plus I like the quietness. It's between these and the stone glacier grumman (obviously warmer but not sure if necessary).