New Kuiu Pro Suspension and Pro Bag Review

kickemall

WKR
Like you, I've never liked the bags Kifaru has but they always carried a load better, for me anyway. I know you've used both so do you have an opinion if Kuiu is getting close to Kifaru in heavy load comfort - if there is such a thing? Kuiu's made some nice changes since my last pack from them and if the comfort is close I'd like to go back because I like their bags much better. Thanks,

Dave

ORhunter74

Lil-Rokslider
Would you say that it might be worth running the new suspension with the old Apex straps? Or would that defeat the purpose of the newly shaped straps? I literally just bought the whole shebang not too long ago. If it’s literally twice as comfortable like you say.... it makes me take pause. I’ve run 70 lbs of sand in my new (old) suspension and the only pain I had after 3 miles was the back of my leg. Lol

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think if you ran the Apex straps on the new suspension you would be plenty happy. I am going to run the new ones for a while for a while and think I will be happy. At some point I think there will be an updated Apex as well.

Firebug93

FNG
Would you say the new packs are starting to get up there in durability with Stone Glacier?

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The frames compared to stone glacier

Sorry Firebug, I thought you were just referring to the suspension. I have no real world experience with the SG. I have only tried it on at the sheep show a couple years back. They seem very well made and many people like the SG. I have zero worries about the Kuiu stuff now.

Firebug93

FNG
Sorry Firebug, I thought you were just referring to the suspension. I have no real world experience with the SG. I have only tried it on at the sheep show a couple years back. They seem very well made and many people like the SG. I have zero worries about the Kuiu stuff now.
How does the kuiu hold elk quarters without an actual meat shelf like the SG? Do you feel you have to keep adjusting the quarters on a hike out?

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don’t haul bone in quarters, I bone everything out if it’s on my back. On the kuiu I leave the very bottom middle buckle connected when I put meat between the bag and frame. This creates a wedge type affect at the bottom and prevents meat from going out the bottom. Running a bone in quarter, I would think I would do it the same way so the quarter is supported at the bottom as well.

How does the kuiu hold elk quarters without an actual meat shelf like the SG? Do you feel you have to keep adjusting the quarters on a hike out?
I’ve hauled lots of bone in quarters whether it be deer, elk, bear, goat etc on the kuiu load shelf. Never had an issue with anything moving or sliding down. Just get the straps good and tight and it’ll be a non issue.

Robnewf

FNG
I'm impressed with the new suspension. I own a whole series of the icon pro bags, 1800, 3200, and 5200. Never really had a problem with them. Have since moved on to a kifaru and they' re waist belt and lumbar pad is an improvement. Seems like kuiu has upped they're game. Did find the lumbar pad slip down on my kuiu frame loaded with 80+ pounds of moose meat but nothing to make me hate the pack.

Sent from my 9024O using Tapatalk

JNDEER, I will bring your feed back up to them. I would think making one more size belt is very doable. It comes down to is there enough demand for the production of this. Essentially every company that only makes two sizes runs int the same thing. And as for reference, my belt is about 1” from bottoming out when I cinch it down. I used to use the smaller one because I wanted it lighter and I just dealt with it being it a little small. I have come to figure out the ounce of belt is worth the comfort.
As a guy with a 38 inch waist, the shortness of the belt pads was something i had to get used to. I can't say that I don't like the older belt now but, it was truly the only area where I felt the Kuiu gave up comfort.

madkaw284

Lil-Rokslider
Kuiu has launched the new Kuiu Pro Suspension and the Pro Bags and both are on their website for ordering and specifications.

I have had the Pro Suspension and the 6000 Pro Bag for a couple of weeks now. I did my best to go over the features of the new items in their respective videos.

6000 Pro Bag:

Kuiu Website for 6000 Pro Bag:

Pro Suspension:

Kuiu Website for Pro Suspension:

If you have any questions about either of the new items, just ask on this thread and I will answer it and if I don't know the answer I will get it for you.

Overall, both the Pro Suspension and the Pro Bags seem to have some very good and efficient improvements.

Hey Doug, I noticed you said in the suspension review that you had 3 additional lumbar pads in your previous pack. I have the same issue, a case of no-ass. I’m using a 2018 icon pro and I want to put some more padding back there but I can barely fit one. How were you able to fit 3 of them back there?
Thanks for the review. Nice work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey Doug, I noticed you said in the suspension review that you had 3 additional lumbar pads in your previous pack. I have the same issue, a case of no-ass. I’m using a 2018 icon pro and I want to put some more padding back there but I can barely fit one. How were you able to fit 3 of them back there?
Thanks for the review. Nice work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I won’t kid you and say it was easy. It is designed to fit two and they were tight to get those in. When I decided to try three, I believe I spent about 30 minutes or more working the third one in. If I recall, I ended up putting it between the other two as it seemed to have less friction there compared to against the material. I still have that suspension set up that way as I don’t want to take it out and try and get it back in.

I’ve hauled some pretty good loads in the load sling.
I recently added some extra straps to the frame which I intended to use to secure the meat to the frame itself and then use the regular straps around the bag also.

AndyB

WKR
Some side by side picks that might help, I really like the new belt, and the fact it is flexible now that they have got rid of the rigid outer belt sheet.

I put a 25k bag of cement in my pack for a 66lb total and gave it a little run. The belt locked down like an Alabama Tick. Much more form fitting and adjustable.

Attachments

• Old pro belt.jpg
    Old pro belt.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 217
  • new pro 1.jpg
    new pro 1.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 224
  • new pro2.jpg
    new pro2.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 225
I'm looking at this. New, they are a less expensive alternative to SG and others. I appreciate the review as I gear up for my first western hunt this year.

Robnewf

FNG
Looks like the new lumbar pad tapers from top to bottom? That would really prevent it from slipping down and lock it to the hips. Thoroughly impressed.

Looks like the new lumbar pad tapers from top to bottom? That would really prevent it from slipping down and lock it to the hips. Thoroughly impressed.

It is tapered and also adjustable now. The lumbar pad is very comfy and well thought out on this Suspension.