New Kuiu Pro Suspension and Pro Bag Review

After extensively using the kuiu system over the past few years I will say the the upgraded hip belt is the improvement I think that I was looking for. Cups the hips way better and you can customize the fit. Lumbar pad is wicked in comparison to the old one. Very happy with that.

Shoulder straps definitely feel wider across your back. Hope they are comfortable with a good load. I like the Apex straps but the durability on them sucked. I've been told they won't be redoing the Apex straps. Can't wait for my 7800 to arrive.

ericF

WKR
Looks like they are either discontinuing the Ultra bags or are bringing out new models. The Ultra bags are no longer listed in the packs section and they are clearancing out the 2200 and 5500 bags in the Outlet with no sign of the Ultra 4000 anywhere on the site.

Finally ordered the new Pro suspension, the hip belt under heavy loads was the only thing that I felt KUIU needed to improve on.

@RosinBag, do you know what’s going on with the Ultra packs? I know they just redesigned them, but they are all gone from the site besides the 2200 and 5500 that are on clearance. I’ve got a 5500 Ultra and an 1850 Pro, which seem to work for my current needs, but I’m curious what they are planning next.

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Finally ordered the new Pro suspension, the hip belt under heavy loads was the only thing that I felt KUIU needed to improve on.

@RosinBag, do you know what’s going on with the Ultra packs? I know they just redesigned them, but they are all gone from the site besides the 2200 and 5500 that are on clearance. I’ve got a 5500 Ultra and an 1850 Pro, which seem to work for my current needs, but I’m curious what they are planning next.

I don’t know if any new pack bags coming out, it could just be some house cleaning. Generally though, when things disappear and end up in the clearance area, something new could be coming.

I don’t know if any new pack bags coming out, it could just be some house cleaning. Generally though, when things disappear and end up in the clearance area, something new could be coming.

Thanks, that’s sort of what I figured. I’ve seen them drop certain colors before or go out of stock on things, I just found it odd.

Heard from a little birdy that they are just going to phase them out and stick with the pro series.

That’s a bummer if true, the more I mess with the 5500, the more I’m convinced it’s just about perfect. Only things I’d change are a roll top closure, the lid attachment clips, and adding a small mesh pocket for tag/keys/etc inside the top pocket like the Icon Pro’s have.

I think they hurt themselves by pushing the Ultras as a system with the lightweight suspension that didn’t do well. The Pro 6000 weighs twice as much as the Ultra 5500.

I’m hoping this isn’t an indicator of a change in focus without Jason at the helm, prioritizing lower returns/warranties versus building ultralight gear. If the Pros were outselling the Ultras 10:1 or something, it’s just business.

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
That’s a bummer if true, the more I mess with the 5500, the more I’m convinced it’s just about perfect. Only things I’d change are a roll top closure, the lid attachment clips, and adding a small mesh pocket for tag/keys/etc inside the top pocket like the Icon Pro’s have.

I think they hurt themselves by pushing the Ultras as a system with the lightweight suspension that didn’t do well. The Pro 6000 weighs twice as much as the Ultra 5500.

I’m hoping this isn’t an indicator of a change in focus without Jason at the helm, prioritizing lower returns/warranties versus building ultralight gear. If the Pros were outselling the Ultras 10:1 or something, it’s just business.

The Ultra 5500 isn’t half the weight of the Pro 6000. Even with the older Ultra suspension and the Ultra 5500 bag, it was only about 24 ounces different than the new Pro system with the Pro 6000 bag. The New Pro 6000 bag and the new Pro suspension only weigh 5 # 13 ounces all set up.

From what I’m told it’s more to do with the unfinished seams and the longevity of the pack itself. I absolutely love my 2200 and 4000 ultra packs and I’m a big fan of cutting weight as I don’t think the thicker Pro series fabric is necessary though I see the benefit of the pro series for the small weight increase. The new fabric they are using inside the pockets is nice and is probably a bit more water resistant. Not to mention the seam finishing makes it a lot more burley. It’s probably more to do with warranty claims is my guess on seams failing due to it not being finished. I can see this being an issue down the road on my ultras unfortunately.

My 7800 came in the other day and I think it’s going to be an absolute bombproof pack. The redesign was well done on the front pocket. I could honestly use this pack for everything at the expense of added weight but it compresses to nothing and basically flat.

Though I agree the lid attachment points could have been a bit more simplified to run it lidless. The back adjustment straps for the lid closest to your back work quite well. The flaws in my eyes are compression strap that closes the lid could simply be one of the accessory straps clips if you feel it’s necessary as well as the front lid buckles could be changed to the compression strap clips.

I get the buckled straps could be just rolled up and toggled off for a cleaner look but the front buckles can be removed for when running it lidless and attached with the compression strap clips to an attachment point at the top rear portion of the pack.

Really wish they moved up the pro 3600 to about 4000ci I think they would nail that line in terms of capacities for just about everything humanly possible

One other thing I noticed is that the bridge straps that connect to the top of the shoulder straps that the attachment point on the shoulder strap itself is not adjustable vs the old system.

The Ultra 5500 isn’t half the weight of the Pro 6000. Even with the older Ultra suspension and the Ultra 5500 bag, it was only about 24 ounces different than the new Pro system with the Pro 6000 bag. The New Pro 6000 bag and the new Pro suspension only weigh 5 # 13 ounces all set up.

Apologies if I wasn’t clear, I was talking about the bags themselves, not the full kits. The Ultra 5500 is listed at 24 oz, the Pro 6000 is 52 oz. The Pro 1850 weighs the same as the Ultra 5500, so you can gain 3x the capacity for zero weight penalty, or carry the Ultra plus something ridiculous like a small axe for very little weight penalty compared to the Pro 6000.

I expect less durability from the Ultras, and they wouldn’t be my choice if I was lucky enough to go on 6+ week long western hunts each year, leaving the pack riding around in truck beds, skiffs, bush planes, and on horseback.

Current circumstances limit me to 1 hunt a year like that, so I let my Icon Pro endure the brunt of my hunting seasons and save the Ultra for the mountains where weight matters more.

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn’t worry about the durability of the Ultra pack material. That stuff is still damn good and I have beet my 4000 to death and it shows little wear. It’s bloody like it has been beaten to death, but no damage to it at all.

SlickStickSlinger

Lil-Rokslider
I'm using the Ultra series to day hunt from spike camp and the Pro series to get to spike camp. Durability should be just fine on both ends and the light weight and size from a 2200 works well to get in the backcountry without a huge weight penalty for day the day hunts. The 2200 might even be a little on the too big side for this type of function.

TravisIN

WKR
Just got my 6000 in. Pretty sweet bag. I’ve ran a metcalf the last couple years which I think is like 4300ish ci. I’ve ran it on 7 day hunts and was able to fit everything in the bag. It was tight and I had to be smart but it fit. The metcalf was able to compress great for day hunting, I’d leave the lid at camp and it’d go super small. When I got the 6000 I was wondering how small it’d compress and if it’d be too big. I was even considering just throwing my 1850 in with me and swapping bags when I got to camp. Then I compressed it without the lid which is what I’d usually do with the metcalf. Well it compresses down to practically the same size as the 1850. Here they are together. Obviously both are empty. The second picture is the 1850 on top of the 6000
41c2268a843695439643fc6e6c3da16a.jpg
87b3ee4ffeffaca58969a5ee470951cf.jpg

The only thing I’d change so far is there would be a bladder hose opening on the middle of the main bag. Not sure how I’ll feel about having bladder on one of the sides. I’ll give it a shot, it may not be noticeable at all. Just different that what I’m used to. Other than that one little thing the bag lay out is pretty sweet. Take this for what it is, just my initial impressions of the 6000 bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just got my 6000 in. Pretty sweet bag. I’ve ran a metcalf the last couple years which I think is like 4300ish ci. I’ve ran it on 7 day hunts and was able to fit everything in the bag. It was tight and I had to be smart but it fit. The metcalf was able to compress great for day hunting, I’d leave the lid at camp and it’d go super small. When I got the 6000 I was wondering how small it’d compress and if it’d be too big. I was even considering just throwing my 1850 in with me and swapping bags when I got to camp. Then I compressed it without the lid which is what I’d usually do with the metcalf. Well it compresses down to practically the same size as the 1850. Here they are together. Obviously both are empty. The second picture is the 1850 on top of the 6000
41c2268a843695439643fc6e6c3da16a.jpg
87b3ee4ffeffaca58969a5ee470951cf.jpg

The only thing I’d change so far is there would be a bladder hose opening on the middle of the main bag. Not sure how I’ll feel about having bladder on one of the sides. I’ll give it a shot, it may not be noticeable at all. Just different that what I’m used to. Other than that one little thing the bag lay out is pretty sweet. Take this for what it is, just my initial impressions of the 6000 bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually run my bladder on one side and tripod on the other. Seems to balance pretty well for me.

recurveman

Lil-Rokslider
Just bought the new suspension. Wasn't a huge fan of the old pro suspension when I had more than about 40# in the pack. I ran the ultra 7000 pack and old pro suspension last year. Not sure how many days I wore that pack but it was well over 60 and it held up like a champ. Washed blood off of it so many times it should be permanently red but it cleaned up really good. I will say that the pack material does hold water when it gets wet causing the pack to weigh quite a bit more than when it is dry. Note to self. Keep pack dry if possible.

I would miss the ultra packs if they didn't bring them back. The ultra's don't have quite as many features but it is plenty and I like the weight savings more than the features. If they don't bring it back I will be on the hunt for a used ultra 7000 pack so I have a spare.