New lens or new camera?

mc1119

Lil-Rokslider
Hello, I have a Nikon D3200 that came with 2 lenses, the 18-55 and 70-200 i believe. I am wanting to carry a camera with me when I go out hunting for point and shoot purposes, and maybe a little video taping, but mainly to take nice quality photos of animal.

I’m wondering if I upgrade lenses on my Nikon to the 18-300 for better zoom or look into a different camera all together? I’m no expert in photography so any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi
The kit you have is fine if you want snap shots, not doing this as a hobby and printing nothing bigger then 16x20 that you will frame and put on the wall for artistic, rather then trophy, purposes. You probably have the 55-200 telephoto zoom.
Before you buy something you don't need, what is this set up not doing that you want it to do. There are plenty of cameras that will do a better job if you were getting into photography and doing great things with the image.
Best to call me to discuss. I am here thru Friday 9-6

Joel
Camera Land
516-217-1000

Highly recommend dealing with Joel. He is extremely helpful and will get you set up with what ever your needs are!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
I own $10,000 plus in lenses and used my phone for a backpack trip. Glass is heavy. How far are you hiking and won't do you want to video/photograph?

Camera Land gave good questions. Doubt you have a 70-200 but if you do, it's way better than 18-300 but 70-200 is heavy. I pretty much shoot 2.8 glass these days but I have the old 18-200 and it's a great walk around lens. This thread reminds me I dig it out.

jspradley

WKR
I'd personally buy a better lens, you can always upgrade your body to a better Nikon body and be able to use the same lens. You will still be limited to the quality of the lenses you have if you just buy a better body

Unless you were looking to ditch Nikon altogether and get a whole different system.

OP
M

mc1119

Lil-Rokslider
Hi
The kit you have is fine if you want snap shots, not doing this as a hobby and printing nothing bigger then 16x20 that you will frame and put on the wall for artistic, rather then trophy, purposes. You probably have the 55-200 telephoto zoom.
Before you buy something you don't need, what is this set up not doing that you want it to do. There are plenty of cameras that will do a better job if you were getting into photography and doing great things with the image.
Best to call me to discuss. I am here thru Friday 9-6

Joel
Camera Land
516-217-1000

Looking to take up close photos of game from a distance. 2-400 yards being distance.

With the camera you have the best all around lens is the Tamron 18-400. There will be no distance you can't get a terrific shot at

OP
M

mc1119

Lil-Rokslider
For the cost of the lens would there be a different camera that may be more portable and durable that would accomplish the same thing that you would recommend? Or would you recommend staying on the Nikon d3200 camera?

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
I think you need realistic expectations. 400 yards is a long way. 18-400 is truly versatile but you'll need to be on a good tripod and you're not going to get photos that belong in National Geographic. I second spend your money on glass, not a new camera.

Point and shoots have a purpose but I just use my phone as my point and shoot. Pick an all around 18-300 or 18-400 but remember there is no free lunch. That versatility comes with tradeoffs. I get good crops with my 70-200/2.8.

But a versatile and then start building good glass. You can get a used 300/f4 for less than $400. No VR but stick it on a tripod and you'll be pleased. I'm still shooting a D600 and there are much better cameras out there but I'm full frame with quality glass and it works.

OP
M

mc1119

Lil-Rokslider
Is it possible to use the D3200 on a spotter and digiscope with it? If I have a styrka s7 spotter what would be required?

For the cost of the lens would there be a different camera that may be more portable and durable that would accomplish the same thing that you would recommend? Or would you recommend staying on the Nikon d3200 camera?
There is no small camera with the sensor size of the Nikon that will get you the same quality results