New Leupold Scope - Which One?

Thats because you are trying to treat their low end cheaper scopes like a Mark5hd. So because your VX3 doesnt track perfect you shoot down the whole company. Its just BS. Props to Leupold for making all of their scopes in the US and not selling out to china. Even their cheap lines are made here.

BTW - my buddy had an ATACR crap out on him on a once in a lifetime alaskan moose hunt. Damn thing wouldn’t hold zero and the elevation turret wasn’t working. Nightforce isn’t bulletproof like some claim. They just sell a lot less scopes than Leupold and all of their stuff is expensive.
I’m sure nightforce will have a scope go bad here and there, I’ve read a couple reports of something failing. But the rate at which leupold fails is significantly higher than a nightforce. I personally won’t trust them for a scope intended to dial. In my case with the leupold crapping out I hadn’t dialed that scope other than to sight it in, never even sent my load into leupold to have the cds made. I do have one on a 7-08 that’s done fine but after a bad experience with another I just can’t trust them. If you or the OP is set on a leupold by all means slap one on there and go hunting 👍🏻

OP
R

RSC12

FNG
To the OP, if you like the VX3 weight and price, just get one with the BDC reticle and use holdovers. That’ll work fine out to 4-500 no problem, and they are still a good option for a set and forget zero.

Ya I use holdovers currently with my old Bushnell. It works for sure as long as I do my part. I just have a buddy who has an older Leupold with the CDS system and it sure takes the guess work out of it when in the moment.

Plus for my Bushnell in order to use the mil dot reticle I have to be on 14x zoom. I'd like to be able to zoom to whatever I'd like and know I'm still at the proper range.

SDHNTR

WKR
Ya I use holdovers currently with my old Bushnell. It works for sure as long as I do my part. I just have a buddy who has an older Leupold with the CDS system and it sure takes the guess work out of it when in the moment.

Plus for my Bushnell in order to use the mil dot reticle I have to be on 14x zoom. I'd like to be able to zoom to whatever I'd like and know I'm still at the proper range
Ok so then your options are either a scope that dials reliably, or using holdovers out of a first focal plane scope.

Again, check out Tract Toric.

PRC_GUY

WKR
Hey guys, guess I posted this on the wrong sub-forum so it got deleted. I'll try again here. I'm just hoping for some insight into which scope I should be looking at purchasing to put on my old Parker Hale 7mm Rem Mag. I'm looking for something lightweight and low profile with a dial system (Rifle is already ~ 9lb bare).

I'm debating between the:
- VX3i 3.5-10x40mm CDS-ZL
- VX3i 4.5-14x40mm CDS-ZL
- VX5HD 3-15x44mm CDS-ZL2

I'm looking to shoot at targets out to 5-600yrds and hunting to around 400yrds max. I currently have a 4.5-14 Bushnell Legend which has a mil dot system. I find the glass lacking and the 14x power difficult to use in real world hunting situations and think I would prefer to dial then using the hold over dots. It definitely has a tight field of view and makes follow up shots difficult on higher magnification.

So I guess my "new guy" question is if whether low end magnification is worth more than high end for realistic hunting distances. Also is it worth spending almost double the price and some extra weight for the VX5HD. I hunt a mix of heavy timber and open alpine. I almost wish there was a CDS version of a 2-12 in a more affordable option.

Thanks for the opinions,

RSC
Why not the VX6 HD?
The VX6 4-24-52 with 34 mm tube will do the job you wanted!, CDS and zero stop included.

If you are interested in purchasing a scope in the Leupold VX3i line of rifle scopes I would wait a month or so to buy one as it is my understanding the VX3i line will be replaced (upgraded) to the VX3HD line of scopes.

ClearCreek

OP
R

RSC12

FNG
If you are interested in purchasing a scope in the Leupold VX3i line of rifle scopes I would wait a month or so to buy one as it is my understanding the VX3i line will be replaced (upgraded) to the VX3HD line of scopes.

ClearCreek
Good to know. Thanks for the heads up.

To the OP, if you like the VX3 weight and price, just get one with the BDC reticle and use holdovers. That’ll work fine out to 4-500 no problem, and they are still a good option for a set and forget zero.
This is your answer. Had one cds leupold track bad after starting out ok and two Mk 4s have issues over the years. Find a LRD or B&C leupold for big game at any sane range, set it and forget it.

if you are dialing look elsewhere. Spence

OP
R

RSC12

FNG
If you’re dead set on leupold I’ll sell you my 3-18 x44 VX6HD when it gets back from Leupold....
Depending on the price I'd definitely be tempted. I live in BC tho and not sure where you're from. I'm not sure the process on shipping scopes etc across the border.

millsms

FNG
ive had several leupold vx3 CDS and vx6 ZL. lightweight yes but don't hold zero and have replaced with other options. LRHS is a great option for the money and good turrets and glass. i have several nightforce and no issues with dialing.

ThinkLeicaBuck

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, guess I posted this on the wrong sub-forum so it got deleted. I'll try again here. I'm just hoping for some insight into which scope I should be looking at purchasing to put on my old Parker Hale 7mm Rem Mag. I'm looking for something lightweight and low profile with a dial system (Rifle is already ~ 9lb bare).

I'm debating between the:
- VX3i 3.5-10x40mm CDS-ZL
- VX3i 4.5-14x40mm CDS-ZL
- VX5HD 3-15x44mm CDS-ZL2

I'm looking to shoot at targets out to 5-600yrds and hunting to around 400yrds max. I currently have a 4.5-14 Bushnell Legend which has a mil dot system. I find the glass lacking and the 14x power difficult to use in real world hunting situations and think I would prefer to dial then using the hold over dots. It definitely has a tight field of view and makes follow up shots difficult on higher magnification.

So I guess my "new guy" question is if whether low end magnification is worth more than high end for realistic hunting distances. Also is it worth spending almost double the price and some extra weight for the VX5HD. I hunt a mix of heavy timber and open alpine. I almost wish there was a CDS version of a 2-12 in a more affordable option.

Thanks for the opinions,

RSC
If this helps you at all, I’ve taken several big deer and also let family use my long range rifle all beyond 800 yards and I use 12x for all those kills. 80 percent of my shots are under 200 yards so I really enjoy using 4x for my closer shots. I think shooting those long range opportunities let’s say beyond 600, the 12x doesn’t let the shooter see how bad they are shaking and gives them more comfort in making the shot instead of focusing on how nervous they are they focus on the job at hand. I used to shoot longer shots on 20x and it’s tough to just focus and make the shot. Also follow up shots can be tough on 20x even at 900 yards. Hopefully this helped.

Dan2061

FNG
Im not a fan of the new VX3HD. They upgraded the turrets and gave it a handle for magnification but thats the only good thing i have to say.

Im not a fan of the new VX3HD. They upgraded the turrets and gave it a handle for magnification but thats the only good thing i have to say.
What don’t you like about them? I was looking to throw one on for my 6.5 prc. And what did you choose instead?