New load or stick with it?

jt4

WKR
Needless to say finding some powders, bullets, and primers is tough. I have about 2 years worth of the components left for the load I've been using and haven't seen my powder or grain bullet come up in a while.

Is it worth it to load up on a different grain bullet and the powder while it's available in case I need to switch to a new load, or take the chance and wait for what I've been using to come back around?

How long can the shortages keep going before reloading components go back to being relatively available?

EDIT: Currently using .308 168 ttsx and debating picking up 130 ttsx for my -06

Last edited:
I would stick with what you have, if it is accurate and does what you need it to do. You say you have 2 years worth, so you should be able to find some along the way here and there. If you start a new load, who's to say those components will be available in 2 years? I would stick with what works and keep looking, putting my name on the "notify me when available" lists on all of the vendor's websites.

Last edited:

MThuntr

WKR
I'm convinced it's not some much a shortage but actually hoarding and gunbroker greed sales that are pushing this nonsense longer.

I'd stick with it and keep watching...I had used several in stock alerts for components (209A primers) that I need and once they popped up I was able to get them. Popular powder and primers are harder so you may need to look at the Discord alerts and keep an eye on Powder Valley. It is time consuming and expensive to pay for HazMat shipping.

Also tell us what you need. You never know some guy down the road may have 200 bullets that he doesn't need and will sell them to you.

packer58

WKR
I guess there's two school of thought's on this one.....

> If it ain't broke don't fix it... Meaning, keep looking for your current components and stick with your current load.

> Pick up some more available components and go through your normal load development, you very well could end up with two reliable loads that suit your needs.

JFK

WKR
In my opinion it’s not a horrible idea. I normally load Barnes and could not find the bullets anywhere….not even on gunbroker. I ordered some hammers since those are always available, used them same powder that I use with the Barnes and stumbled upon a great, accurate load. Now I have two options. The kicker though is if you have to find a different powder it may not be worth it.

ToolMann

WKR
If you're mainly a hunter you can always get a 2nd seating die and build a second, maybe even cheaper load for range fun. I'm doing that exact thing today as the Accubonds I shoot hunting have gotten a bit pricey for slinging at steel. Had a 2nd set of dies already so just picked up some Hornady bullets that are easy to find. Plus I get to build a new load!

I shoot the 130 grain TTSX in my 30-06, it's taken antelope, deer and elk. Monos play by different rules than traditional lead core bullets whether bonded or otherwise. It's pushed close to 3300 FPS which gives a flat trajectory, plenty of velocity for expansion at longer ranges and vicious terminal behavior on those animals above it's been in contact with.

As you know, they don't lose weight. No need to start with 20, 35 or 50 grains more bullet weight to begin with.

Midway has the .308 130 TTSX in stock, I ordered a box along with a couple other things today.

Vern400

WKR
Needless to say finding some powders, bullets, and primers is tough. I have about 2 years worth of the components left for the load I've been using and haven't seen my powder or grain bullet come up in a while.

Is it worth it to load up on a different grain bullet and the powder while it's available in case I need to switch to a new load, or take the chance and wait for what I've been using to come back around?

How long can the shortages keep going before reloading components go back to being relatively available?

EDIT: Currently using .308 168 ttsx and debating picking up 130 ttsx for my -06
When Obama was elected it took me 2 years to get the 22 mag cartridges that shoot best from my rifle. Right when I got caught up, the pandemic hit and it's all gone again. It'll probably be back late this year. But the more dems try to infringe the linger it'll take.

PRC_GUY

WKR
It is a bad time to test a new load now, primers and powders are so hard to find and you go to gunbroker , you will pay for a stupid price. I would stick with current load for now.

Zappaman

WKR
My "two years" worth is like a dozen loads-- ready to hunt with. If the gun is well built and your load is good-to-go, you should need one bullet to check zero (or a few to correct), then one (or two) to kill that year ;)

My buddy's "two years" worth is a case (or two) of 1000 rounds.

Powder Valley JUST sent out an email with lots of sierra, barnes, and hornady bullets coming available. I agree the hording "effect" is still in play, but I hope "competition" is still alive and well in the US! If so, we should start seeing more availability soon. Especially in the primer (cocaine) market where that "cartel" needs to be broke!!!