New Mathew's Traverse

BigWoods

WKR
I ordered my Traverse (Stone & EV II) in early January and had it delivered last Tuesday.

I'm running the Mathew's/QAD Integrate rest, Arrow Web quiver, Apex Covert sight, and an 8" Fuse stabilizer.

Finally got it in for tuning yesterday afternoon once the arrows showed up at the archery shop. The manager who set it up said that this was far and away the easiest tuning bow he has done this year.

I'm slinging Beman ICS Hunter Classic arrows (.300 spine, 9.5gpi ) with 100gr GT inserts for a total weight of 510gr.

After lining everything up to center shot, we didn't have to touch the windage.

Bow is pulling very smooth at right around 65#. It is whisper quiet and absolutely dead in the hand. The arrows hit hard.

Coming from a ~1996 Mathews MXZ, it is an absolutely different experience and better in every way.

Once I get a warm day here in New Hampshire, I'm going to try get the sight tape dialed in.

The only thing I may still do to the bow at this point is get a side bar; so any suggestions there would be helpful. (I'm thinking of getting a 6" bar and mounting it to the Mathew's Static Mount))

This was my 2nd three shot group at 30yds this afternoon. Didn't have time or stamina (after shooting 40 in the basement this morning) to back it up further.IMG_20190305_170326.jpgIMG_20190304_183057.jpg

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat bud.

I walked into my local bow shop yesterday to have them install a new sight on my older Mathews Monster and they had gotten a few Traverses in so I ended up walking out with a new bow.......
Quite the change, very different grip, new sight with longer bar and smaller bins so i see more of my wobble haha. A lot to get used to.

I ended up moving something on the site and am currently working out of town so i need to get it all leveled back up when I get home but its shooting good for the time being with the arrows from my old bow.

Also looking at building some arrows right around the 500gr mark for it.

I never really thought my bow had much vibration, then I shot the Traverse and that pretty much sealed the deal on my wallet.
78db4b456600922d891bb01994b1085a.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

tunafed

FNG
Picked mine up about a week and a half ago and couldn't be happier so far. Been too windy to stretch it out much. Got it set up with a 12 inch front and 8 inch side bar with a bee stinger elite mount. Still playing with the weights but 2 out front and 4 in the back seems to balance it pretty nice.

Still undecided on what arrows I eventually want to run. Been shooting some 300 spine axis at 514 gr. Chrono says 271-272, 29 inch mods pulling 73 pounds. Archers advantage says they are marginally weak at the current length. Just gonna weight until I can shoot em out farther then 30 yards before I make any changes.
5b1c3027237640d8b663660f867ed751.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I envy you and your draw length. At 27.5 everything is slow lol. Havent chronod yet but I am also only pulling 61lbs right now.

I am debating very hard between some Day Six with the SS insert or BE Rampage with the insert those come with.

I was just up in NH at coyote creek last week shooting the traverse vs ct3, he just got a ct5 in im running up there this morning after I get out of work to shoot the ct5 vs the traverse.

I have a Traverse showing up today. I shot one about a month ago and really liked the balance, draw cycle and grip. I ended up finding one gently used on Archery Talk. This will be my first Mathews bow so I hope I won't have to get a tophat kit. It is gonna come with a hamskea hybrid hunter pro and I am gonna put a HHA tetra on it and use my quivalizer for the stab. Hopefully I will be able to get it set up and shoot it for my indoor league this week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Sounds like I'm not alone in my enjoyment of this bow!

It would appear that a 6" back bar mounted off the back would roughly equate to the 8" mounted off the front. I'd like the ballance, but don't really want it sticking out much beyond the string.
For those of you running the back bar, did you shoot without? How did it compare?

Mine also is a 29" draw which at 65# should be launching my 510gr arrows at about 260fps.

Don Qui - I did shoot a prime (can't remember if it was a ct3 or ct5) and it held equally well in target but had noticably more hand shock. I've head really good things about Coyote Creek and should probably stop in there when I'm down that way. I'm in the North Country so L.L Cote in Errol is my go to shop.

Last edited:
First group of the day with mine at 20.
So far I have noticed I am not shooting groups quite as tight as i did with my Monster but i seem to be more consistent group to group. Not as many random flyers off to one side, the other, low, etc.

I run the AAE Western Hunter. It is a 10 and 8in bar. Running it from the front it is about even with the string, so if you plan to run it from the mounting point on the back a 6 would probably be perfect.
I have not shot it without the side bar.
c0c768ecef02f35ddda0dcdb1576dd8e.jpg

tunafed

FNG
I did shoot mine without a side bar the first couple days and honestly it held pretty good without. It definitely helps balance the weight of quiver and sight with it on. The bubble is pretty much dead center every time I anchor now.

Best group I shot at 40 today. Was already a bit tired but that's about as good as I can generally shoot right now. Still quite the rookie.

Noticed almost all my arrows have at least one fletching starting to peel off. Guess i need to find some glue haha. Will superglue work for the time being? I'm out if town working and planning on new arrows soon anyway. Update, just ordered a set of Rampages from the local shop that should be ready next time I'm home. .

So far I'm really enjoying this new bow!
732c149d0f6cc6f588d2680a01cda4d1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Almost forgot to ask is does yours have 60 or 70# limbs?

70# limbs turned down about 1 turn.

2 turns had it pulling 59# and it's my understanding that it can safely be turned back 3 full turns to around 55#.

Big Woods, yea I like coyote creek best pro shop within two hours of me for sure. I bought my first bow at LL Cote it’s a great shop

How do you know what you need up front and back? I have an Elite Energy 35 with a Black Gold Ascent Slider and TightSpot Quiver. I tried the Bee stinger Microhex Counter Slider, but it doesn’t actually balance my bow. I have tried all kinds of weight changes and sliding it back and forth.

Any help would be appreciated. Are you looking for perfect balance at full draw? Is this even possible?

I run the AAE Western Hunter. It is a 10 and 8in bar. Running it from the front it is about even with the string, so if you plan to run it from the mounting point on the back a 6 would probably be perfect.
I have not shot it without the side bar.
c0c768ecef02f35ddda0dcdb1576dd8e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you know what you need up front and back? I have an Elite Energy 35 with a Black Gold Ascent Slider and TightSpot Quiver. I tried the Bee stinger Microhex Counter Slider, but it doesn’t actually balance my bow. I have tried all kinds of weight changes and sliding it back and forth.

Any help would be appreciated. Are you looking for perfect balance at full draw? Is this even possible?

To be completely honest bud it was the one Aron and Brian on Gritty were using when I stumbled on the podcast which got my spark for archery going again so that's what I got but it seems to work well enough for me. When I say again I had a bow before for about a month and never shot it so I sold it lol.

I hadnt messed with weights much yet but will probably do that now that I have the new bow.

This would be a question much better answered by someone more experienced than myself.

tunafed

FNG
I'm not an expert either. For me it's just trial and error. My last/first bow I was running just a front bar and found the longer the bar (within reason) the less weight I could run and get the same results. Decided to try out a side bar this time and started with the shops recommendation of a 1-2 ratio of front to back weight. After a little adjusting of the angle the bow sits pretty level. Still have some pin float but the circles are smaller.

I like to tinker and I have until August to get it the way I think I want it so it might change a few times. That said I am pretty happy with the way it is now.

Thank you for this info! What front, side bar and mount are you running?