new MDT HNT26 Chassis

Well.. This one covers most of my criticisms of chassis for a hunting rifle..

weight, check
Cold to the touch metal, check (though the frame around the action mag is still metal and might be colder to hold there)
Big mag release that can catch on stuff, check (Edit: upon closer look, this still seems a bit bigger than ideal. I thought it was like the seekins havak or hawkins hunter trigger guard release at first glance)
DBM hanging down low, check
Price.... ouch

31 oz with arca rail forend and folding butt stock is nuts. I have heard some negative things about MDT folders though.

If a guy is going to nitpick, I could go for another couple inches of fore end and a more vertical grip. This thing looks sweet though.

Last edited:

B23

WKR
I was looking at these the other day and loved most everything about it, except, the price but as a friend of mine often says, "there's worse things you can spend your money on".

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
So this looks better than then XLR? I was about to order one of those but this now really has my interest. I hate having my fingers numb from the cold and holding a piece of alum or magnesium in freezing weather is holding me back.

ChromeKype

Lil-Rokslider
Function over form here boys.

Specs are delicious but man that is the ugliest thing I have ever seen. I thought the XLR was ugly, but this makes that look half way palatable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
wind gypsy
Function over form here boys.

Specs are delicious but man that is the ugliest thing I have ever seen. I thought the XLR was ugly, but this makes that look half way palatable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like they always say.. beauty is in the eye of the beer holder (or something like that).

Looks didn't cross my mind but since you brought it up, I think the butt stuck is better looking than the AR buffer tube contraption on the XLR but the XLR fore end is a little cleaner looking.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Have you looked at the Mountain Precision Hunter chassis from Defensive Edge? Oh... and for those lefty's.... they didn't leave you out lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
wind gypsy
Have you looked at the Mountain Precision Hunter chassis from Defensive Edge? Oh... and for those lefty's.... they didn't leave you out lol.

Not a fan of that fore end.

204guy

WKR

There's no LH option in the orientation menu & there's no lh bolt cut out for an ambi option so fill us in.

The folding stock is really appealing, otherwise I'm having a really hard time seeing the benefit of a chassis for hunting..
Once you throw a mag in there the weight doesn't look that impressive compared to some of the LR CF stocks.

I'm really curious how comfortable it would be shooting a magnum in that thing?
The scope rings are tall as shit in the picture, looks like the optic needs mounted super high to clear the forend.

sneaky

"DADDY"
There's no LH option in the orientation menu & there's no lh bolt cut out for an ambi option so fill us in.
It's in the description of the stock.
043d28524e08decd613f5b23f2ffdcfb.jpg

OP
wind gypsy
The folding stock is really appealing, otherwise I'm having a really hard time seeing the benefit of a chassis for hunting..
Once you throw a mag in there the weight doesn't look that impressive compared to some of the LR CF stocks.

I'm really curious how comfortable it would be shooting a magnum in that thing?
The scope rings are tall as shit in the picture, looks like the optic needs mounted super high to clear the forend.

You can get adjustable LOP, cheek rest, folder, and ARCA rail for 31 ounces. Not aware of any carbon stocks doing that. Can swap a barrel of whatever contour you want and it will fit. Hard to beat the ergos and ergo options of a chassis.

I’m not overly concerned with getting a scope low with the adjustable cheek but would nice to not need extra tall rings.

I’d still rather carry a stock though!

Last edited:
You can get adjustable LOP, cheek rest, folder, and ARCA rail for 31 ounces. Not aware of any carbon stocks doing that. Can swap a barrel of whatever contour you want and it will fit. Hard to beat the ergos and ergo options of a chassis.

I’m not overly concerned with getting a scope low with the adjustable cheek but would nice to not need extra tall rings.

I’d still rather carry a stock though!
Yeah the adjustaboe stock features are pretty cool, I said once the mag is included there's not much weight advantage those things are heavy..

B23

WKR
Considering Shawn's a southpaw it's probably pretty likely they'd make those for lefty's too.

I have a MDT LSS XL gen 2 for my .300 Weatherby, huge fan of it so far. Already shooting better than factory stock. With that being said the folder is decent but when it first comes in it is sticky. Work it a whole bunch and it is decent. The only gripe I have at all is the retaining set screw in the buffer tube castle nut junction. After about 13ish 180gr Nosler Accubond Factory loads, it is slightly loose again to cause the absolute smallest play. Now I am sure some Loctite will fix that right up but just my first impressions shooting a good bit.

That being said, what the hell lol. I just buy one of their chassis systems to create my elk sniper and then 6 months later they decide to release the hunting purpose built chassis lol.

I would like to see them make a smaller tikka mag for both long and short configurations. Currently for the long action they only have a 5rd metal mag that's a custom 3.560" long.

Last edited:
OP
wind gypsy
I would like to see them make a smaller tikka mag for both long and short configurations. Currently for the long action they only have a 10rd metal mag that's a custom 3.560" long.

I think you're constrained to AICS pattern mags regardless of the action with this chassis.

More folks are starting to make hunting specific AICS pattern mags (Curtis, Hawkins, MDT) but I'd agree it still not ideal for a hunting rifle to me. The Curtis mags look like the best option for long action.

RECCE

FNG
I believe they classify the Tikka T3x Roughtech 6.5 PRC as a medium action. Looking at the new chassis from MDT and wondering if its compatible with the new 6.5 PRC rifle Tikka offers? Should I select short action or long action and which magazine? Thank you.