New member from arkansas

clint6760

FNG
Been on the sidelines for awhile. Live in Arkansas and have been getting the itch to head out west. Thinking I might start off with a antelope/mule deer hunt in Wyoming first. Start by buying points for elk/deer/antelope this year and then go elk hunting in 2-3 years.

Anyways, love the forum and all the great info. Thanks for having me.

OP
C

clint6760

FNG
Thanks everybody. A little overwhelmed with all the gear I need to start slowly accumulating so it doesn’t hit me all at once. Sleeping system, better optics, boots, clothes, and pack. Gonna be expensive. Haha

Dkiss103

FNG
Clint, we are in the exact same situation. Im itching to start going out west. I just bought my first PP in Wyoming for Antelope/Mule deer. Probably gonna buy a point for elk there also. Im in Batesville AR

raptor16

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome aboard. I go to school at Tech in Russellville; from Fort Smith. Graduate in December and plan on heading west next year.

Welcome! Don’t wait for points to build up to go chase elk! Hunt an OTC unit to get boots on the ground and start learning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
for gosh sakes don't worry about the gear and getting points. go hunt.

that is the only way you will find out what gear fits your style. in addition there are a certain amount of dues you have to pay to learn. stuff you cant get on here or in a book. go hunt! use what gear you have and upgrade carefully later.

OP
C

clint6760

FNG
I understand about needing to go hunt as soon as possible and not worrying about gear. Certain gear I definitely need because rubber boots and a 1200 cubic inch pack ain’t gonna cut it. I’m planning on buying points for Montana and Wyoming elk this year and hunting next year in Montana archery general tag.