New member from Sweden, headed to Idaho

seww

WKR
Hey all,

I managed to find this forum from another post in Wildlife in Utah forum, asking for some help regarding Idaho.

I'm an avid hunter and outdoorsman from the North of Sweden, we're talking about 1,5 hrs above the Arctic Circle, Fairbanks level give or take. Up here we usually hunt moose, brown bears or small game. Dogs are a big part of hunting here, off-leash. I myself have a small hunting dog of a breed called Nordic Spitz, which I use for Caipercaille and black grouse. We have also shot a few martens in the past 8 years of his life.
I have so far taken down two moose, one small bull and a cow.

In January/February a friend of mine and myself usually drive a bit further North to hunt for ptarmigans in the snowy mountains. We drive the snowmobiles out to the mountains, then strap on the skiis, usually old wooden skiis that are 8+ feet long. And you ski around in the snow, trying to find this tiny white bird in the snow. Great fun!!

My family and I moved to Utah and Salt Lake City in September of 2018, but my father's dementia got worse and we had to move back to Sweden in June of 2019 to help out my sister. Now my dad has gotten a nice place in a home, and my sister won't be needing my help as much, so we're planning on moving back to the US and now we're looking into Idaho Falls, ID.
Smaller than SLC, but big enough for jobs and amenities for our soon to be 4-yr old son.

I hope to meet some people on here that live in Idaho Falls or around, and get a small network of friends with similar interests and also I can be of a big pack help if needed. Sometimes we pack out moose and I don't mind playing the mule. Not sure if I'll be making any hunts this year, if lucky we move in November, so it might be too late.
But I'm open for suggestions or invites if someone needs a packmule or partner up in the mountains for a weekend. I don't care for meat or anything in exchange for some outdoor time.

Short and sweet, looking forward to be part of this forum!

Cheers!

William

PS. Here's a picture from last October when I took down the cow moose. That dog's name is Vera and she is a Jamthund, google and you'll get some information of the breed. Swedish moose hunting dog.
Ko med Vera.jpg

BAKPAKR

WKR
Welcome to Rokslide. Idaho is a great state with a lot of hunting and fishing opportunities. Good luck with your move.

OP
S

seww

WKR
That was quick!
Thank you, I know the general area, spent 4 years of college in northern Utah, Logan, so I'm not completely lost :)
Wifey is from Salt Lake City too so.

Welcome to Rokslide. Idaho is a great state with a lot of hunting and fishing opportunities. Good luck with your move.

ODB

WKR
I live on the opposite side of the state from IF, but we plan on passing through often. I spend a bit of time in Ketchum as well - a good place to be for a few days. Once you get settled, it's be a great place to meet.

Northern Sweden is super nice. Have been to Lulea and Pitea visiting a friend, and we drove up north a bit as well. Was happy to eat plenty of moose!

Welcome!

Welcome! I live about 3 hours from Idaho Falls but I drive all over to find new areas to hunt. Ill probably hunt over there at some time.

Welcome! I live about 30 minutes from IF. I'd be glad to help as needed or help look out for job opportunities.

OP
S

seww

WKR
I live on the opposite side of the state from IF, but we plan on passing through often. I spend a bit of time in Ketchum as well - a good place to be for a few days. Once you get settled, it's be a great place to meet.

Northern Sweden is super nice. Have been to Lulea and Pitea visiting a friend, and we drove up north a bit as well. Was happy to eat plenty of moose!

Welcome!
Cool! We live in Lulea at the moment but I was born and raised in Gallivare, if you know that town. 1,5 hrs above the Arctic Circle!

Our plan is to be in IF around 12/1 so we'll see, would be awesome to meet up!

OP
S

seww

WKR
Welcome! I live about 30 minutes from IF. I'd be glad to help as needed or help look out for job opportunities.
Thanks, that would be cool!
But I already have a remote job so I'm good for now, my wife might need some help though.

ODB

WKR
Cool! We live in Lulea at the moment but I was born and raised in Gallivare, if you know that town. 1,5 hrs above the Arctic Circle!

Our plan is to be in IF around 12/1 so we'll see, would be awesome to meet up!

Don’t know Gallivare. But when I was there we went north to some kind of festival where my friend played. You may have heard of him, Mikael Backman. Plays harmonica for the band Ramblin Minds (with and without Ronnie Erickson) and a folk/bluegrass-style band John Henry.

OP
S

seww

WKR
Don’t know Gallivare. But when I was there we went north to some kind of festival where my friend played. You may have heard of him, Mikael Backman. Plays harmonica for the band Ramblin Minds (with and without Ronnie Erickson) and a folk/bluegrass-style band John Henry.
Huh how about that. Sorry, I've only heard of Ronnie, but I'm not too involved in the local stuff. I have an issue with Sweden as a whole so 🙂.
But that's cool you've been up here since it's so far north. I mean, Lulea is about an hour or so south of the Arctic Circle. I think Fairbanks is a little bit further north than that, that's high up!

Reactions: ODB

codycleve

FNG
I'm in Salmon which is about 140 miles away, Idaho falls is where most people from here make their grocery runs. A lot of people from IF recreate up here. Hopefully we will get a decent steelhead run this year as you will be here in time for that.

CorbLand

WKR
I lived just outside of Idaho Falls. Great area with lots of outdoor opportunities. I now live in Logan, makes me wonder if we crossed paths at USU? What did you major in?

OP
S

seww

WKR
I'm in Salmon which is about 140 miles away, Idaho falls is where most people from here make their grocery runs. A lot of people from IF recreate up here. Hopefully we will get a decent steelhead run this year as you will be here in time for that.
I'm sure up to check that steelhead run! Have only had one salmon on my rod, most likely close to 20 lbs. That was in 2005... :)

OP
S

seww

WKR
I lived just outside of Idaho Falls. Great area with lots of outdoor opportunities. I now live in Logan, makes me wonder if we crossed paths at USU? What did you major in?
Well look at that, a fellow Aggie! :)
I majored in Economics, but graduated in 2008. It's been a while...