New member heading on my first elk hunt this fall

one can’t emphasize enough to be in the best shape possible, I’ve met a lot of guys from the East that thought they were in hunting shape only to find that they really weren’t, one canyon can ruin you, the air is thin.
also, the boots you wear will also make or break your hunt. Long days on your feet, the terrain that elk live in can be devastating if you don’t have the right boots.
I have started the diet to drop a couple pounds and then will start pratice hikes this summer with the frame pack. Got a pair of Crispi Summits. Not a great way to train for this air. That will be a test.

Good luck. Enjoy the experience and take gear / animal behavior notes on the trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Behlftball

Lil-Rokslider
I did one guided elk hunt. Guys were supposed to be able to shoot to 300 yards. I shot my 6 point at 430 yards. Many guys were missing at 200. I think guys from the east in the tree stands think 100 yards is a long shot. Elk can be 400 yards away while you're beneath them and shooting up at a 25 degree slope. Also don't just practice shooting off a bench because that's not how it's going to be. Get in shape and shoot straight. The guide should do the rest

GBHunter

FNG
Congrats on your upcoming adventure. Great optics and learning to pick things apart with them will help lead to success in finding your prey. Have a great trip.

Tightwad

FNG
The most important piece of gear you'll have is your boots, just make sure they're comfortable going up/down steep slopes.

I remember my first elk hunt and how I thought it would be like those shows on the outdoor channel, and being rather disappointed.