New member of Rokslide...

Hello all. I am a recent member to Rokslide. I have spent the last several weeks prowling Rokslide trying to get a feel for the members...It was obvious very early on that Rokslide has a great group of members so I decided to join. So here I am. I do have a question...I have 18 PP in Colorado. I have been holding out for either unit 10 or 201...my Colorado elk hunting buddies claim these are the best units. Problem is that every year it takes more and more points to get drawn. I am getting frustrated. What would you do if you had 18 PP?

OP
R
Heres a pic of me on the last day of the 2012 elk season at Bolam Pass west of Durango Co. I hunted the entire season this year. Being retired you can do that. I spent the whole time solo backpacking...4 weeks alone...it was sweet. Spent the last 10 days down around Durango...and finally got into the elk...worked several big bulls, and called in 7 bulls to within 20 yards...AND NOT A DANG ONE WAS LEGAL! But it was a blast. Had several BIG black bear encounters which was "interesting"...on one encounter I had to stand up and pull my Glock 36...but she changed her mind.Picture 169.jpg

Maxhunter

WKR
Welcome to Rokslide. I'm sure some of the Colorado guys will chime in and recommend a good area to use your points. I sure wish I was retired hopefully only 10 more years. Great picture!

Jdog

WKR
Heres a pic of me on the last day of the 2012 elk season at Bolam Pass west of Durango Co. I hunted the entire season this year. Being retired you can do that. I spent the whole time solo backpacking...4 weeks alone...it was sweet. Spent the last 10 days down around Durango...and finally got into the elk...worked several big bulls, and called in 7 bulls to within 20 yards...AND NOT A DANG ONE WAS LEGAL! But it was a blast. Had several BIG black bear encounters which was "interesting"...on one encounter I had to stand up and pull my Glock 36...but she changed her mind.View attachment 5695

That is money!

18 pts! Wow...i never reach that point! :)

tstowater

WKR
I have 18 PP in Colorado. I have been holding out for either unit 10 or 201...my Colorado elk hunting buddies claim these are the best units. Problem is that every year it takes more and more points to get drawn. I am getting frustrated. What would you do if you had 18 PP?

Welcome to the site. Seems that you are suffering from the proverbial point creep. Either the guys in front of you are going to need to draw out or not apply if they are all applying in the same units as you. Someone out here is going to be able to give you a thought or two about your options.

Point creep sucks! Odds r u will never catch those units as they are creeping 1-2 pts a year. It sucks to be that vested and not be able to use them. Have you looked at a ML hunt in those units?

Welcome!

OP
R
when and if I ever get drawn I am torn as to bow or rifle. Being it would be a once in a lifetime draw part of me wants to go with a rifle...kinda increases your killing distance just a tad...out to 300-400 yds haha...BUT...downside to gun season is the length...not very long season...and I LOVE bowhunting, especially elk, and the season is a month long. And I live for the mountains...so all the extra time would be sweet. But I need to get drawn first so we will see when and if the day comes. Appreciate all the welcomes to the forum. BTW I shoot a Martin Hatfield TD 65#, awesome recurve. I also have a Elburg 63# longbow called the "Condor", I hunt both elk and deer with it. Been shooting instinctive since I was 8 years old. First 2 times I elk hunted I used my old Bear compound, but being a backpack hunter I hated the weight(solid fiberglass limbs, thing must have weighted 10 lbs) plus when I'd call bulls in I was always in the dark timber and never seemed to have time to use the rangefinder (the ones back then u had to look at a tree trunk and turn the dial till the trunks lined up, if that makes sense)and the bulls were always walking. I'm good instinctive to 40yds so now I am traditional 100%.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome. There is no good compromise for points stay the course for a top tier and endure the creep or drop down and hunt a mid tier unit and wish you had held out

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Rifle odds are terrible in comparison to the archery odds. You seem like the kind of guy that would get it done with your bow on a good unit like this and you probably would kick yourself in the butt for using your rifle anyway. GO BOW!

Just did a little quick research for you... you are one of about 30 guys in the archery pool with 18 or more points. Some of the better units did clean off the top level last year so they may actually not creep this year. Theoretically you should draw no matter what for 2, 201, or 10 within the next 6 years. There were 5 tags for NR last year in those units and you were one of 30 guys with 18+ points. Chances are you would draw sooner than 6 years too.

If you want a good hunt right now, unit 61 is probably the next best option. You would be guaranteed with 18 points.

Welcome to the party and good luck!

Coop

OP
R
thanks Coop with that info...gave me some hope. Think I'll just suck it up and hold out for an archery tag. Where did u go to obtain the info you refer to? Thanks

Curtis C

WKR
You could put in for the Hybrid Draw if it is offered in 2013. Seems in the normal draw you wont have a chance for the next couple years. The hybrid is random so that offers a tiny bit of hope to draw sooner.

Welcome to Rokslide.

C

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Coop hits on it for you, and if you want to learn that research technique he's talking about, see the article we just uploaded from Kevin Clerkin. It's techy, but everything you need is there. Link at bottom.

I'd say you can wait like you and Coop agreed or...

You don't seem to be short of time off, so start scouting those mid-level point units now. If you spend 3-4 days in the ones you mention and others like 61 and 40, you'd know exactly what you're in for. Points are not a reliable prediction of the hunt quality and in many cases, you can find what you're looking for with less points. If you know what is there, you won't feel so much like you're wasting points if you apply for something with less than 18.

Even if you're going to wait for the top tier units, you should be looking at them before you draw. Those top tier units have been targeted in the mags as hot picks for years and are attracting more attention than they deserve. Lots of guys focusing on them and is why the point creep is so high. You'll likely have plenty of non-hunting pressure in those units as few of the tag holders come alone but send their scouts out to different areas which just puts more people in the field when you'd rather be alone. Plus, if someone sees a great bull, everyone starts chasing him.

Here's the article link

http://www.rokslide.com/research/254-colorado-breaking-down-the-odds/