New member saying hello looking for advice

Hello rokslide members. Would like to say thanks for having me and I look forward to learning as I'm completely new to the elk scene.

I come Here looking for advice as a young boy and current member has referred me to here! I'm looking to get after some elk. And really don't know where to start. Let me brief you a little about myself

I'm 29 and from Virginia. I've hunted legitimately since about 15 which is when i really started figuring it all out on my own. I'm a dairy farmer as I work on my farthers farm hopefully mine someday. I do all the milking and Very very seldom will he let me take a break from it. He makes me earn my way! In order to hunt in the fall I get up at 230-3am of the morning milk the cows then head to the mtn for a hour or so walk to the places I hunt.

With that said I like every person, have a bucket list. Mine ain't going to Paris, or NYC, or Mexico. Mines killing stuff! My list is made up of elk mulies and a big whitetail. Now I'm no rookie to whitetail or shooting guns, smoke poles or bows. I've been at it since I started as absolutely love a good bow hunt. Our mtns here aren't like y'all's in te west but I've logged my time in these to
Make some Cringe.

Here's my issue. Elk are halfway across
the US from me and I can't rightfully jus go after em and learn how to hunt them as I have here. I understand it takes a little leaning and understanding. With that said I'm trying to figure out my best route. I hate the idea if going on a guided hunt and paying so much money for a animal but I hate to go DIY and end up SOL haha.

A friend who went to NM last year on a guide killed a elk. And we was going to make a trip together. We are both rookies but are not pansies and dot mind and can handle the packing and such. Just the matter of finding the best route.

Hope to hear from you all. Don't be shy on telling me your feelings and being honest don't bother with thinkn you will hurt my feelings either cause I'm a honest upfront fella who was raised on honesty.

Thank y'all for ya time