New member with an ultralight savage build

OP
statikpunk
To be honest....for the price of these.....I have $400 in mine......if it still doesn't shoot.....put a new barrel on it. For the price, a Krieger, Hart or Lilja barrel wouldn't be a bad edition....just sayin.

thats exactly what I was thinking when I started whacking on it. I figured hell the worst that could happen is I have to shell out a few bucks for a new barrel (even if I shelled out the cash for a carbon fiber stock and barrel I would still be under the cost of some of the high end mountain rifles).. 400 bucks! that was a smoking deal, I got mine for 550 on a double sale, and I thought I was doing good, cabelas is 799 of course that's cabelas for yah. I would buy all of them I could at 400 bucks just for the actions alone.

No, it was new. On sale at crapbelas for $500 and I received another $100 in promo when I used my cc.

For the money I have in it, plus the money for the barrel I want.....it would still be under original msrp! Then you add a good stock and metal, plus bolt handle....you are less than half of what a good semi custom is. I almost bought a Mt ascent, but I just don't trust them. For the mixed reviews and the cost of that production gun, I wasn't going to gamble on it.

brushape

WKR
Is the picture of the complete gun with or without the barrel shortened? Also did you only reshape the forend or also the butt? I actually have an extra stock laying in storage that I replaced with a manners on my other savage build I may try this with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
statikpunk
Is the picture of the complete gun with or without the barrel shortened? Also did you only reshape the forend or also the butt? I actually have an extra stock laying in storage that I replaced with a manners on my other savage build I may try this with
Yes, the picture is with the barrel at 17 inches. I took both 3 inches out of the forearm and the barrel. so the barrel and stock ratio stayed the same. I did not reduce the butt stock much, I took 1/2 inch off the end just to get it closer to my LOP (it was really long from the factory) and I removed the savage logo cap from the pistol grip and hollowed the grip out, as well as ground off just enough plastic from the grip to get rid of the checkering that was there. other than that nothing significant, just enough to blend the new butt pad with the stock and to create a consistantly rough surface for the paint to stick to.

OP
statikpunk
View attachment 49801View attachment 49802
I got my scope today a leupold vx 2 with CDS all together with the sling I ended up 2.5 ounces lighter than my forbes rifle ! Totally pleased with that. Especially since all together I spent about 1100 bucks less on the savage. Of course so far the forbes rifle still shoots a little better and does it with a 21 inch barrel, but the savage is still a work in progress.

oops my attachments didnt work lets try that again
weight1.jpg
weight.jpg

Last edited:
For the money savage are hard to beat. When you say it gets out shot by a rifle that is literally twice the price isn't really apples to apples....

OP
statikpunk
For the money savage are hard to beat. When you say it gets out shot by a rifle that is literally twice the price isn't really apples to apples....

Ha! you might have a point. I would compare a 1 dollar apple to a 2 dollar apple :) to be fair the forbes is far and away better in a lot of ways and did it all from day one without any labor. That being said I enjoyed the labor so all said and done I think for the next rifle I would go with the savage again and just expect to have to do a little work on it. It seems to me that most guns no matter how much one spends on them always seem to need a little work.

also a good point to make about the savage is that my forbes will be a 7-08 forever without spending some serious cash, were as the savage barrel can be changed in five minutes at home with nothing but a wrench and a "no-go" gauge . that certainly says something to a guy who likes to tinker with his guns. For the money I saved on the savage I could buy a Proof research carbon fiber barrel and then it would most likely "certainly" outshoot the forbes rifle.

The fit and finish on savage isn't that great, but I don't buy them because they are pretty. I buy them because they are cheap and with very little effort I can change out a barrel for something decent and a stock for something better and still have half the money in it vs a remmy and it shoots just as good.

brushape

WKR
I'm copying some of these mods on mine right now... when you cut off the savage logo deal at the bottom of the grip was it hollow under there or did you have to glue on a cap?

OP
statikpunk
I'm copying some of these mods on mine right now... when you cut off the savage logo deal at the bottom of the grip was it hollow under there or did you have to glue on a cap?

underneath the indian head label is a screw that holds the cap on. I took off the cap, then used a dremel tool to remove the stud that the screw set into. I left it hollow and painted the inside.

brushape

WKR
underneath the indian head label is a screw that holds the cap on. I took off the cap, then used a dremel tool to remove the stud that the screw set into. I left it hollow and painted the inside.

Thanks man I'll dive into that tonight, waiting on scope mounts but loving the compact size of this gun
b048ae0873b0f3b78ab2a402181e9349.jpg

OP
statikpunk
looks good so far. yeah I couldn't agree more. It turns a mediocre rifle into a really nice one. lots of people would pay big money for a 6 pound rifle all in. Im half tempted to pick one up in .223 also

DEW0341

WKR
Thanks man I'll dive into that tonight, waiting on scope mounts but loving the compact size of this gun
b048ae0873b0f3b78ab2a402181e9349.jpg

Is that a savage on the right? What manners is that? And how much does that weigh?

My 6.5 cm savage action I can't say I'm in love with it but by god it shoots fantastic! I have it in a B&C m40, varmit heavy barrel and a Burris xtr2 on top it's not exactly the lightest thing around. When I shoot this barrel out I'm thinking of going to a proof barrel and going to a manners carbon stock

brushape

WKR
Yeah that's a savage also the build thread is on here somewhere I weighs about 7 pounds without the scope. Stock is a manners eh3 she's a great gun

I wouldn't mind one in 223 and 243. I just didn't have the money at the time I bought mine. Looks like it came out nice though.

I would love it if they made one with a blind mag, metal trigger guard and a good stock. It would really compete with tikka then.