Just thought I would introduce myself. Long time lurker, first time....well you get the point.

Currently residing in South Easern Washington. I typically hunt the Cascade Crest with a muzzleloader, but occasionally dig out an old trad bow just to mix things up. Elk, calling mountain lions, and bear hunting are my current addictions.

Anyways, just wanted to say that I love this site. The information and stories are the perfect motivation to push just a little harder and go a little farther on each outing.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to RokSlide... How well do you do calling lions? I have tried several times in Arizona, but no luck yet.

OP
fair-chase
Thanks guys.

Rosin: Calling lions is fairly easy, shooting lions is a whole 'nother story. I was able to manage 9 confirmed call-ins (visual confirmation) last year and not a single one of them hit the dirt. It can get frustrating at times but I think it's worth it. You have to be prepared to put in many hours of calling for just a glimpse of these magnificent creatures. And a glimpse is usually all they give you.

I think the most important rule to keep in mind is to not waste time "cold calling". A lions territory is so vast and the population densities are low enough that it's not very productive to just set up anywhere like you would for a coyote stand and begin calling. Cut a track, find fresh scat, or find a fresh scrap first. Then put yourself in a posistion to call that lion into view. This may mean going days without calling just looking for fresh sign first, but it will save you time in the long run.

Not sure about your hunting grounds but around here I have a lot of luck using cow/calf elk sounds. Since I usually find fresh cat sign trailing our elk herds it makes sense. For this reason I usually look for the elk herd first, and then begin looking for signs of lions. For your area find what the lions main diet is and start looking for heavy populations of that prey species. If you can find a heavy concentration of the primary prey species you should be in a good posistion to find a lion. I know it's basic, but I've forgotten this rule on a number of occasions and it ended up costing me lots of time.

If your interested in calling them, I would suggest looking up Rain-Shadow Game Calls. He has many great vocalizations for electronic callers as well as a few toutorials and call in stories. I use these vocalizations on my Foxpro and it seems to work out great.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
FC all good info. I use a Wildlife Technologies call and use lion vocalization mostly. I never call just for lions, my set ups are generally for bobcats then turn to lion after about a half hour. One lion called in this way by my buddy and the lion hit the dirt. Also cat hit the dirt in AZ when spot and stalked, but after a lengthy blood trail no cat. I am glad to hear you are getting it done, one will be dead for you in the future most certainly.

Last edited:
OP
fair-chase
I certainly hope so. If not, I'm still happy just seeing them.

Sounds like your on the right track as well. I also only throw in the lion vocalizations towards the end of the calling session. Occasionally it will make a cat sound off that I didn't even know was there.

OP
fair-chase
LOL. And I hope I never have another tripple again. I'm shooting for singles from here on out. I like the adreneline rush but sometimes it's a little overkill. :)