New Mexico 16A Archery DIY or Outfitter?

I hunted 16a. The Elk are far & few between. Wolves, poaching, whatever. The population is way down.
and what I did see hanging at various camps were 5x5. 5x6. Nothing close to 400"

Gila

WKR
If a hunter can’t find a bull to stick during the peak of the rut in the 16s, me thinks one should try golf? It’s hard to pass up a 6x6 during an archery season, simply because fewer opportunities come about than with the first rifle season. But if you know what you are doing the probability of sticking a big bull is somewhat high in that unit. Obviously the odds are higher to harvest a trophy bull with a rifle. NMDGF manages the Gila units to increase the number of Trophy bulls.

Gila

WKR
Ah I see. Genetic traits that have occurred for decades in an area have no relevance. Gotcha :rolleyes:
Actually some of the old timers say that the Merriam’s elk did not become extinct in the Gila.

BBob

WKR
^^^Yes I have seen that. But as far as I know genetic testing hasn’t proven that out. I want to say Heffelfinger has done some of that research.

And that's why they call it hunting not shooting. Sometimes it is the hunter's day but most of the time it is
the Elk's day...especially big bulls....

Mike76

FNG
The reserve Bull is a terrific loss to the population and gene pool. pool.
Poachers that get away with this BS should be under a huge penalty. Much larger than a 10,000. dollar fine and a misdemeanor ticket. Felony is also too good for these poachers. they definitely need to be made as an example and jail time plus a fine and loss of hunting privileges.
In my book that is even too lenient.
It is amazing what one will do to say look what I killed.
If it were a Silver Duley, I'm sure they can locate it and question those guys. Big Loss.
We are all sure there are 400-inch Bulls in the Gila Units but they as we all can understand are far and few between.
Just seeing a Bull that size is an understatement. I have seen some great bulls in my Archery ventures but can say never a bull that size and I have been in some pretty good places. Those calibers of Bulls are few between and then havening the time to even try and score one on the hoof is impossible and a guess anyway.
Just sad to hear those things but these things continue to go on.