New Mexico 16A Archery DIY or Outfitter?

Mathews

Lil-Rokslider
Contact me or David Mathews if you decide to go the outfitted route, we kill as good of elk as anyone on the gila

Gila

WKR
If it were my hunt? No way I’d hire an outfitter. I like to do it my way. Which may not be the outfitter way.
Me to, but we are local so we can get familiar with the unit and scout. Plus I have all of the gear including my camp. Some of these guys need to jump on a plane.

ShakeDown

WKR
Last year 1st season we found over 30 bulls. Only 1 that my brother wanted to focus on. Never caught up with him.

The unit has tons of road access and elk everywhere. Just need to hunt smart and use your glass.

I also know several guides in 16a. I would go unguided, but ymmv.

Let me know what you find out. I’ll return the favor as I’m looking for a decent drop camp with horse support for 16b/22.
Never, ever thought I would draw an archery tag in the gila. I will honor this tag as an OIL with my heart in it.
My background is that I’ve guided CO for 15 years including many tours in 76.
So, I will call/stalk for myself. But given the nature of the Gila (which I have hunted previously, general 16 deer) I feel like it calls for support. After reading what you vets have said in this thread, I’m having second thoughts. would no drop camp and only DIY be a better more mobile/dynamic experience? definitely see the more rewarding side of a DIY. My concern is hiking out a bull 2-4 miles back without spoiling? I can physically pull it off. Just don’t want to F up something this sacred.
thanks and good luck Fransena!
2 to 4 miles is very doable in A. They may even be screaming at that time.
Me to, but we are local so we can get familiar with the unit and scout. Plus I have all of the gear including my camp. Some of these guys need to jump on a plane.
i still wouldn’t hire a guide. My first hunt in the Gila, I was living on a rock called Oahu. I had to fly to get here and back as well. I wouldn’t trade that diy experience for anything. I’ll never forget watching that bull looking for that cow (me) he thought he heard and steering him right where I wanted him for the shot. The gratification of doing it all, from e scouting to packing my 1st bull out to eating elk on an island in the Pacific was such a great experience and memory, I wouldn’t trade it for all the tea in Wuhan

slim9300

WKR
What kind of hunt do you want? I have archery hunted the unit. There are two ways to go about your hunt. Sit water or run and gun. Water will result in 1-2 sure shots at 300”+ bulls (likely bigger), and the other really depends on your ability but has the potential for a shot every day. Do you want a fun hunt or do you want a sure deal? This is what you will need to decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

okcrew

FNG
I drew a early season tag last year. Wasn't able to connect on a bull but saw a few dandy bulls. It was crowded and people all over on utvs.

It’s all in what your preference is. With a limited tag some choose to maximize their time and the hunt thus using an outfitter. There time and experience in the unit plus knowing what’s there is valuable.

Some may choose to DIY as it’s “part of the hunt” and the preparation of it all.

whatever your personal choice, be prepared to eat the tag and above all enjoy that experience. You have a great tag !

WRO

WKR
Jeff Lester is a beast as well, nothing beats familiarity with the unit.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Daniel0307

Lil-Rokslider
I would get down there and scout the crap out of it right before the hunt. Hiring an outfitter is no guarantee
That’s exactly what I would do... scout scout scout 3-4 days ahead of as much as possible ... you have enough experience to take a nice bull and save yourself lots of money.. no guarentees with an outfitter

jingalls

Lil-Rokslider
frans, I and a buddy have 16A first season. I’m from KS he’s from MT. We were in 16A last week scouting and hanging cameras. Guides were there scouting and hanging cameras as well. If you are willing to walk you will find the honey holes.

The big issue is camping. We’re going down a week before season to scout a second time. So that’s potentially 3 weeks camping. We don’t want to tent it that long so we’re looking for a trailer. And someone with a second season tag that’s wanting to do the same thing we are. PM me and we can talk about the options.

Gila

WKR
frans, I and a buddy have 16A first season. I’m from KS he’s from MT. We were in 16A last week scouting and hanging cameras. Guides were there scouting and hanging cameras as well. If you are willing to walk you will find the honey holes.

The big issue is camping. We’re going down a week before season to scout a second time. So that’s potentially 3 weeks camping. We don’t want to tent it that long so we’re looking for a trailer. And someone with a second season tag that’s wanting to do the same thing we are. PM me and we can talk about the options.
You shouldn’t have a problem finding a place to trailer camp. You can camp just about anywhere you can find a place to get your trailer into. Get there two days before the opener and you should be able to camp where you had planned. Some people use their UTV to get to the hunting area from camp. That’s what I do anyway. If you want power you will need a generator.

mike123

FNG

Hope your cams in 16a are doing better than mine! We have been down 5 times since may 1st and so far we have had 7 locked cams stolen or damaged.

jingalls

Lil-Rokslider
Great! Got a friend in Albuquerque that’s going to go check them next week. We shall see?

Let me know what you find out. I’ll return the favor as I’m looking for a decent drop camp with horse support for 16b/22.
Never, ever thought I would draw an archery tag in the gila. I will honor this tag as an OIL with my heart in it.
My background is that I’ve guided CO for 15 years including many tours in 76.
So, I will call/stalk for myself. But given the nature of the Gila (which I have hunted previously, general 16 deer) I feel like it calls for support. After reading what you vets have said in this thread, I’m having second thoughts. would no drop camp and only DIY be a better more mobile/dynamic experience? definitely see the more rewarding side of a DIY. My concern is hiking out a bull 2-4 miles back without spoiling? I can physically pull it off. Just don’t want to F up something this sacred.
thanks and good luck Fransena!
I have horses and have hunted 16b twice taking nice bulls both times. Looking for a fit experienced hunter to share camp duties and packing to horses duties with on second archery hunt.

Mvlopez

FNG
I somehow beat the odds and drew a 2nd season archery elk tag in 16A as a non-resident. I know there are guys out there asking for GPS coordinates for a 360", but my question is more about the need or value to hire an outfitter. I’ve always been a DIY hunter and have never gone a guided elk hunt, but realize this is a pretty special tag and it may be worth biting the bullet to hire an outfitter (assuming the wife is on board). I’ve been bowhunting elk for 10 years with some decent success so I’m not a complete newbie to elk hunting.

I did NOT apply with an outfitter, so I’m part of the 6% allocation pool. As I understand it, 10% of the tags go to people who have already signed up with an outfitter, meaning there are already 15 tag holders signed up with an outfitter. If I do decide to go the outfitter route, will I be stuck with a lower tier outfitter at this point? I’m not sure how many guides there are running around in 16a, but I kind of feel like I’m behind the curve as far as booking a solid outfitter. Anyone have experience with this or some advice?
@fransena Curious on how your hunt went and how your outfitter experience was (if you hired one)? I luckily drew 2nd archery this year and I have the same questions that you did.

That’s a premium tag and sometimes worth the added expense to incorporate a guide.

If you are open to that, we had great experiences with Ryan Nogosek and crew at A3 Trophy Hunts NM

It should be a phenomenal hunt and here is a 16A bull they got when I was there in 2018

Attachments

• 9E969E70-1C0C-4E9E-8E0E-1EB331D8E400.jpeg
    9E969E70-1C0C-4E9E-8E0E-1EB331D8E400.jpeg
    222.9 KB · Views: 50