New Mexico 16A Elk - 2nd Archery

Dan-o

FNG
I was lucky enough to hit the lottery this year (in my first attempt at drawing a tag)! Heading to the Gila in 16a for the 2nd archery season (September 15-24). I’m driving out from Ohio on Sept 11 and plan to spend a few days scouting and setting up camp before my season opens. I’m going to stay through the entire 9 day season and my buddy Kenny will be hunting with me for 7 of the days. I’ll have my truck, my 4 wheeler, plenty of clothing, camping gear, and a chest freezer and generator for meat when needed. It’s not my first elk hunt and I’m confident I have the right clothing, footwear, food and prep, pack, calls, gps, tent, and other gear for the trip, but it is my first trip to New Mexico, so I do have a few questions for anyone familiar with the area.

I’ve done a ton of searches and read a lot of threads, but I haven’t seen these questions addressed so I thought I’d ask!

Couple of Questions:
I plan on buying a bear tag. For those familiar with NM 16a, will the quota be filled by the second archery season or should I be good? I can’t seem to find any info on when/or if, they actually close down the bear seasons in that area due to quota’s being filled. I think it’s Bear Zone 3. Bear is not my primary target, but I’d rather have a bear tag in my pocket if I need it than not have one and stumble across an opportunity. Also, since I’ll be there for the 9 day season regardless, if I’m lucky enough to tag out on elk early, it would give me a reason to continue to carry my bow around for the remainder of the trip.
Snakes? Are they an issue? I’ve been told to wear gaiters as protection. Is this something I should worry about? Like I said, I’ve never been there and the only rattler I’ve ever seen other than in the zoo is a dead one on the side of the road.

Other than those specific questions, does anyone have any tips for someone who’s never been to the area? Hunting strategies specific to that area/time of year that they’ve used?

Thanks in advance and I’m looking forward to the discussion!!

I just drove through 16A seven days ago. The gila has been getting a good amount of rain so it should be a good year. I can't help you too much with the bear info, I would suggest calling the NMDGF a day or two prior to you leaving for the hunt that way they can let you know if they've hit their quota or not.

Now we come to snakes. Rattlers are going to be a problem almost everywhere here in NM, especially the southern half of the state. In the Gila, IMHO they're not common enough that you'll need snake gaiters but there is a good chance you'll come across one. It'll definitely be warm enough during that time of year so I would keep a watchful eye/ear out for them but don't let it consume you.

OP
Dan-o

Dan-o

FNG
Awesome. Thanks for the info! I'm not one to worry about things like rattlers too bad. I appreciate your perspective! Thanks again!

blackdog

Lil-Rokslider
It's been nearly 10 years since we had the early 16A archery tag but I'd say you're in for a sweet hunt. Regarding snakes, I don't recall every seeing one during the 8 or 9 days we hunted down there so if it were me, I wouldn't be worrying about it.

If you want to PM me, I'd be happy to discuss some specific spots we found back during our hunt. There were a couple that were really awesome but we also did find elk just about everywhere we hunted.

diesel7

Banned
Bear, you'll have to call in, before heading out, tell them you'll be out of cell range for a week, and they'll either give you the go ahead or not. As far as rattlers, you'll be good up there, never seen them up that high. But you never know. If we're lucky with the rains this year, better pack for heavy downpours and crazy storms. Should be in monsoons still around that time.

OP
Dan-o

Dan-o

FNG
Elk hunt was an awesome time! I'll start a comprehensive thread this weekend with pics and stories (when I'm not in the whitetail stand) but here's the money shot!!

KHNC

WKR
Yep Dan-O and Isaiah did a jam-up job on getting this bull down! Awesome hunt and super cool bull!! We all had a great time. Hoping we can draw a tag again sometime in our life. lol. I ended up close to bulls 5-6 times of my 7 day hunt. Missed a bull that Isaiah called in for me on Monday morning. It came in on top of me at 15yds and busted me drawing. Took a long shot and was low. Last evening , me and Dan were working some bulls and we walked up on a giant bull that had no clue we existed. I mis-ranged it due to brush and shot way over its back. Rookie mistakes I cant believe I made again on a hunt! Overall , this was one of the best elk hunts I have ever been on , even tho I didn't kill. Glad to see Dan get a beautiful bull and I cant wait to do again!!

Dan-o I just drew a second season 16a archery tag and would love to hear more about your experience and hopefully you could give me some advice, thanks in advance!

Wow, great tag! Lots of envy out there. Good luck and post pics! I see a big bull in your future

Elk hunt was an awesome time! I'll start a comprehensive thread this weekend with pics and stories (when I'm not in the whitetail stand) but here's the money shot!!

Awesome bull congrats. Dan-O haven't posted enough to send a PM but just hit the lottery with a 16A second season tag. I will also being traveling down from Ohio and plan on a mid summer scouting trip to get the lay of the laid. If you are willing to discuss your experience let me know.

My buddy just got back from turkey hunting in A. Dry dry dry. Yes by all means get a bear tag! After talking to a dog hunter 2 years ago, unless something has changed, the nmdgf has not done a real population study since 2002 so the bears have overpopulated big phucking time! They are wreaking havoc on the elk populations in the Gila. They can sniff out a new born calf like no other. If the bear population was in check, the elk population would be double what it is now.

Last edited: