new mexico 16A information

bowhunt

Lil-Rokslider
was planning on hunting Colorado unit 76 archery this year until yesterday when I found out I drew a 1st season 16A archery tag. I would love to here from some of you guys if you have been in or hunted this unit, any information would be appreciated. I will be hunting with my son or going solo. I drew a Utah book cliffs tag last year and killed a nice bull on the last day of the archery season, anyone need info on the unit I could help.

4IDARCHER

WKR
I drew the same tag. Also never been there but I am going guided. Should be a heck of a hunt for sure! Good luck.

Congrats on drawing that tag!
That early hunt is often hot and dry down there (I've also seen biblical floods that time of year). As boring as it is, finding water is your best bet. Roads can be sloppy if it's wet.
Good luck!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
was planning on hunting Colorado unit 76 archery this year until yesterday when I found out I drew a 1st season 16A archery tag.

The only good solution I see for this scenario is to hunt both. The 16A early season ends just in time to put you in 76 prime time. Otherwise you're going to eat your 76 tag cost to get your points back, and then be behind the point creep curve to draw next year.......unless you've got more points than it takes.

OP
bowhunt

bowhunt

Lil-Rokslider
I drew the same tag. Also never been there but I am going guided. Should be a heck of a hunt for sure! Good luck.

congrads on the tag it should be fun for sure. Iowa land of the giants I've hunted your state 4 times and killed a couple of good bucks, great state for whitetails. should be back there next year.

diesel7

Banned
was planning on hunting Colorado unit 76 archery this year until yesterday when I found out I drew a 1st season 16A archery tag. I would love to here from some of you guys if you have been in or hunted this unit, any information would be appreciated. I will be hunting with my son or going solo. I drew a Utah book cliffs tag last year and killed a nice bull on the last day of the archery season, anyone need info on the unit I could help.
16a is in my opinion one of the best units you can draw for elk! More elk than anywhere else, except for the Colorado border. You'll have better luck towards the end of the hunt. A guy from this forum last year killed a really nice bull up by willow creek somewhere. I would recommend that area.

4IDARCHER

WKR
congrads on the tag it should be fun for sure. Iowa land of the giants I've hunted your state 4 times and killed a couple of good bucks, great state for whitetails. should be back there next year.

Yep, I too have been blessed with a couple above average bucks. Awesome place to live (for a lot of reasons) but hoping 16A is a nice place to visit!

OP
bowhunt

bowhunt

Lil-Rokslider
The only good solution I see for this scenario is to hunt both. The 16A early season ends just in time to put you in 76 prime time. Otherwise you're going to eat your 76 tag cost to get your points back, and then be behind the point creep curve to draw next year.......unless you've got more points than it takes.

I like your idea, but there's a four letter that none of us hunters like when sept oct nov comes around that's work, unfortunately I will have to pass on Colorado this year. I should be alright I have 18 pts