New Mexico 16B - DIY Only

Macdad

FNG
So is your hunt over mite have missed it. I hunted 4 years ago with an outfitter second archery diamond creek area. Very dry and had people riding horses as we were set up on elk calling just ride through like they didn't even know. I think dressed like hunters but were not. Saw bull and cows everyday. Just couldn't get on them all with in 100 yrds biggest about 387 smallest about a 340. I wish outfitter still guided but he quit.

Gila

WKR
So is your hunt over mite have missed it. I hunted 4 years ago with an outfitter second archery diamond creek area. Very dry and had people riding horses as we were set up on elk calling just ride through like they didn't even know. I think dressed like hunters but were not. Saw bull and cows everyday. Just couldn't get on them all with in 100 yrds biggest about 387 smallest about a 340. I wish outfitter still guided but he quit.
The horses generally stick to established trails if they can. Once horses are moving on a trail with a load, it is not a good thing to divert them or even stop. Your outfitter probably knew this but the bulls will go where the bulls go.

Drew NM resident 16B elk tag for rifle and a 16 FAD tag for Muzzleloader for the 2021 season. As I study things I am gaining an appreciation for how big the unit is and getting some ideas on how to hunt it. We're headed down to scout things out a bit later this month. Wondering if there are any additional comments from last years hunters that I can apply to my scouting plans?

you just never know in the Gila. I’ve seen mucho agua, and hardly any. Not much snow this winter, and rain hasn’t happened. Still early though. That could change obviously
Hi I am looking for someone to share my remote horse pack camp in second season. I am a fit 69 with lots of experience in this unit . Just want someone to share camp and meat packing duties back to camp and my horses. 915 345 8610.

DIY experience in 16B. Packed 2 bulls out on foot. No horses, no outside support. Hunted in n.w. and in central portion. A packer is better if available. We shot one bull mid afternoon didn't find him till the next day at noon. He was starting to spoil due to the heat. He bedded in the open sun. Terrain is user -friendly. One was about 2 miles in. Other was about 2.5 in there were 4 of us to pack it all out.
first or second hunt? how was the rut activity? were bulls vocal?