New Mexico 16B - DIY Only

emmagator

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy and i drew first season in 16B. Looking for info from guys that have done this hunt DIY, please don't respond telling me the only way to hunt it is with horses. We are experienced archery elk hunters from Western Oregon and have hunted rugged country and put meat care as a priority. With that said, i am working on a deal with a packer for getting meat out, but will be hunting on foot. We wont be going in beyond 3-4 miles. Currently focusing on the NW part of the unit as it looks more manageable on foot.

Looking for guys who have DIY experience in this unit. Thanks ahead of time for any responses or info.

elkster

FNG
DIY experience in 16B. Packed 2 bulls out on foot. No horses, no outside support. Hunted in n.w. and in central portion. A packer is better if available. We shot one bull mid afternoon didn't find him till the next day at noon. He was starting to spoil due to the heat. He bedded in the open sun. Terrain is user -friendly. One was about 2 miles in. Other was about 2.5 in there were 4 of us to pack it all out.

OP
E

emmagator

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks elkster. Finding someone available and willing to pack out meat is proving to be difficult. I have been in contact with one outfit, but nothing finalized yet.

when did you hunt the unit?

elkster

FNG
Its been 8 or 9 yrs. I don't see things changing much due to the vast amt. of acres combined with the limited number of tags.
We used topo maps then and the tanks ( sometimes indicated by windmills) were not reliable sources of H20.
We packed in to a spot all day, reached our destination late afternoon, and the windmill was collapsed and rusted.
No water. Long night.

DIY experience in 16B. Packed 2 bulls out on foot. No horses, no outside support. Hunted in n.w. and in central portion. A packer is better if available. We shot one bull mid afternoon didn't find him till the next day at noon. He was starting to spoil due to the heat. He bedded in the open sun. Terrain is user -friendly. One was about 2 miles in. Other was about 2.5 in there were 4 of us to pack it all out.

Dang that sounds like easy money there other than the spoiling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
My dad who was 60 at the time and I did a DIY hunt 2 years ago for 2nd rifle. It was my first elk hunt and his first in ~30 years. Similar, not more than 4-5 miles in. Didn't find success but got on great sign and heard some bugling. Would have loved to be in the same place for archery.

Wheels

WKR
I've hunted 16B ten times DIY. We hunted first season last year and saw more people then ever before, granted it had been 8 years since we drew a tag. In my opinion, the unit has gone way downhill from what it was in the 90's and early 2000's. Hunted 14 days last year and saw 20 elk, 6 of them being bulls. We were truck camping as we always have done in that unit, hunting 2-3 miles in. My buddy shot his first bull last year, but overall it was tough. Water shouldn't be an issue, that is during the monsoon season, although you never know what mother nature has planned for this year. If you plan on sitting water within 2-3 miles from a road, expect company. We used to only have to deal with locals on the weekends, but last year there were resident hunters in the woods the whole season. It's also funny that they supposedly only give 6 or 7 NR DIY tags for that hunt, but we ran into several NR hunters during our hunt. Never hunted the NW corner, mainly the eastern half of the unit, so I can't help you on that. This unit used to be a blast to hunt, lots of elk and some really big bulls, very disappointing to see what it has become, but

Wheels

WKR
Cont.
there are still some nice bulls there. I was after a big 7 point herd bull that had a dozen cows, he drug them into some country that I couldn't keep up in, and was also worried about getting him out if I did shoot him.
You should have a good time, it can get frustrating if you aren't seeing or hearing anything, but you'll find some if you keep at it.

Sounds like water is hit or miss? anyone know if Iron Creek runs water year around?

you just never know in the Gila. I’ve seen mucho agua, and hardly any. Not much snow this winter, and rain hasn’t happened. Still early though. That could change obviously

FlyGuy

WKR
Hunted it last year. Water wasn’t an issue for us. Lots of little drains flowing water. Plenty of elk and plenty more deadfall to keep them safe.

You can’t cheat the mountain

OP
E

emmagator

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted it last year. Water wasn’t an issue for us. Lots of little drains flowing water. Plenty of elk and plenty more deadfall to keep them safe.

You can’t cheat the mountain
yea it looks like many of the draws i see on google earth may hold water. See what rainfall does from now till hunt.

I also drew the 16B early archery. I have pack llamas that i will be dragging down with me. For those that have experience in the unit if distance was not an option where would you focus your efforts?

I also drew the 16B early archery. I have pack llamas that i will be dragging down with me. For those that have experience in the unit if distance was not an option where would you focus your efforts?

If distance wasn't an issue? 15-20 miles or more in, at least......

Wheels

WKR
There is some serious terrain to deal with in the unit. Distance in does become a factor when traveling on foot. Then there’s the issue of getting meat out from that far in. My advice is to be aware of creeks that you cross going in, they can become major rivers when a storm comes thru. I remember one year where there were hunters stranded in the unit for a couple weeks due to flooding.

If distance wasn't an issue? 15-20 miles or more in, at least......
the farther the better, I agree there, the concern would be how many elk would you be walking past to find more elk? Does anyone know where the outfitters like to focus their efforts? I would like to avoid certain drainages if outfitters have camps set up and are shipping people in and out throughout the season.

SDHNTR

WKR
There is some serious terrain to deal with in the unit. Distance in does become a factor when traveling on foot. Then there’s the issue of getting meat out from that far in. My advice is to be aware of creeks that you cross going in, they can become major rivers when a storm comes thru. I remember one year where there were hunters stranded in the unit for a couple weeks due to flooding.

I was there that year and it was downright scary! We didn’t get stranded in the wilderness but the amount of trees falling from the wind and soggy ground was terrifying. Burn areas turned into mudslides and washed the road out back into Reserve. We got stranded at the trailhead.

We killed a nice bull DIY but it was a rodeo. Our original packer bailed on us due to the weather and the mud. Once we killed, my buddy went back to camp to get the big packs while I worked on boning our the bull. He ran into an outfitter on the way out, waved a few Benjamin’s around and the next thing I know we had is another packer to get the bull out. We could have done it, but it would have seriously sucked and reduced our hunting time.

I surely wouldn’t let not having stock stop me from hunting, but by the same token, not having them will very much limit the country you can hunt. That’s the best advantage to a packer. Just gives you greater flexibility. I’d keep trying if I were you.

Don’t underestimate that country just because you are experienced. It’s no joke. Steep af and lots of deadfall. Everyone told me this too but I was still shocked when I saw it with my own eyes. Words can’t do it justice.

the farther the better, I agree there, the concern would be how many elk would you be walking past to find more elk? Does anyone know where the outfitters like to focus their efforts? I would like to avoid certain drainages if outfitters have camps set up and are shipping people in and out throughout the season.

That's the chance you take. But hunting that unit 4 times, I can tell you you'd be eliminating a bunch of competition from the guys hunting from their trucks, even if it meant walking in past elk that may, or may not be there ;)

I was still shocked when I saw it with my own eyes. Words can’t do it justice.

I am in awe everytime I venture into the Gila Wilderness. Whether hunting or hiking in. The diverse wildlife and encounters with that wildlife is forever etched after you've experienced it.

Another thing that amazes me is the GNF resilience to weather. It faces it all at different times bouncing back everytime as a stronger healthier forest in the end. What a great place to be and especially to hunt. Those hunting it for the first time, or anytime for that matter, should feel very blessed ;)