New Mexico 16C Archery.

huntnful

WKR
Drew the early archery tag in 16C! I don’t normally ask for info, but this seems like a pretty legit tag. So I’d like to reach out for any help. I took the first 12 days of the season off. Of course I’ve been studying maps and have my areas picked out. I’ll probably be solo and would like to pack in and not hunt from the roads or trail heads. ANY info is so much appreciated. PLEASE ONLY PM and don’t post info in this thread. Thank you very much for any info.

Btaylor

WKR
What areas have you picked out so the guys can tell you if they are any good or not? ;)

Congrats on the tag!!

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
What areas have you picked out so the guys can tell you if they are any good or not? ;)

Congrats on the tag!!
Hahaha they're just theories, but I'd definitely welcome some local or boots on the ground knowledge!

KHNC

WKR
I think that tag is good for 16A an 16D too! Really great area. If you park beside than one rusted gate and drop into that canyon, its probably full of elk! :)

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
I think that tag is good for 16A an 16D too! Really great area. If you park beside than one rusted gate and drop into that canyon, its probably full of elk! :)
It appears it’s only good for 16C. Which I’m still plenty happy with lol.

bignocks

FNG
General tips for the area. Service sucks. so id download onx and download all the maps of the areas. It rains many of the days but usually not so much that you cant just throw a jacket on and wait it out. Also at any high points check service on ur phone and mark those on ur on x. atv was nice as some roads get rough and if I remember u might be allowed to use them in areas to pack out. I know you want to backpack in but I have done both and unless your going into the wilderness area I wouldnt recommend it from my experience. I thought being mobile was a benenfit so you dont commit to an area that isnt good. Familiarize yourself with the wilderness sections if you do want to backpack in. When I was there i found the bulls would buggle all thru ur camp all night and shut up just as the sun crested the trees. So If thats the case Id get up early and try tagging along to keep dibs on them until shooting light. None of my areas where very good for glassing so basic binos are plenty imo. hope something in all this helps.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
General tips for the area. Service sucks. so id download onx and download all the maps of the areas. It rains many of the days but usually not so much that you cant just throw a jacket on and wait it out. Also at any high points check service on ur phone and mark those on ur on x. atv was nice as some roads get rough and if I remember u might be allowed to use them in areas to pack out. I know you want to backpack in but I have done both and unless your going into the wilderness area I wouldnt recommend it from my experience. I thought being mobile was a benenfit so you dont commit to an area that isnt good. Familiarize yourself with the wilderness sections if you do want to backpack in. When I was there i found the bulls would buggle all thru ur camp all night and shut up just as the sun crested the trees. So If thats the case Id get up early and try tagging along to keep dibs on them until shooting light. None of my areas where very good for glassing so basic binos are plenty imo. hope something in all this helps.
That is EXCELLENT info and I greatly appreciate it! Thank you!

Yeah I planned on packing into the wilderness for the first couple of days to see what's in there for sure.

Thank you! I plan to make the most of it!
The Gila isnt high elevation persay compared to Colorado. But the terrain is tough. Rocky and dry mostly. Alot of short ridges which means alot of up and down. The rocks are what really jack me up in the Gila. Still though it is my favorite NF to hang out in and hunt. Literally nowhere else I'd rather be

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
The Gila isnt high elevation persay compared to Colorado. But the terrain is tough. Rocky and dry mostly. Alot of short ridges which means alot of up and down. The rocks are what really jack me up in the Gila. Still though it is my favorite NF to hang out in and hunt. Literally nowhere else I'd rather be
Yeah it looks like a lot of up and down! Maybe not necessarily huge climbs, but those 200’ hills add up quick haha. I’m definitely looking forward to it!

BBob

WKR
How did your hunt go?
He killed.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
How did your hunt go?
I killed a bull on the first day. They weren’t talking at all and I didn’t run into anyone else that had killed. Also knew two dudes, one guided, one unguided during the same archery hunt that didn’t tag out either