New Mexico 1st archery season

Gila

WKR
The monsoonal flow this year could extend into the first part of Sept. Most of the state has been affected. It hasn’t been this wet since 2016. And I don’t recall that we had this much rain then. In 2016 I saw pictures of bow hunters standing in the bed of their trucks wit their gear as the truck floated down the road. That was on Bursum Rd in the Gila. Obviously this summer there has been a lot more debris flow from the burn scar areas. That means boulders and trees will be laying across the two dirt track paths that we call mountain roads down here. This applies to most elk units in New Mexico. Bring a UTV side by (with a winch) that can haul gear around if if you can. My UTV has a bed large enough to haul out an elk and gear for two people, just to give you an idea.

One minute the sun will be out and the next will be lightening and rain blowing sideways. With a storm, the arroyos will be full of rushing water with logs in seconds! You will need some good, really good, rain gear and boots. I wear knee high cordura waterproof boots that can breathe. Must keep your feet dry or you will have foot problems. I used to put an extra pair of socks and foot powder in my day pack, just to give you an idea. And you will need a place where you can dry out your gear, clothes, boots, at the end of the day. It can get really nasty quickly. Sometimes the mornings are dry but conditions change at the drop of a hat. As long as you are prepared, I think you should have a pleasurable hunt. I have a first rifle tag in an awesome unit so I am stoked to say the least. Good luck to all and be safe!

Last edited:

Cspraggins

Lil-Rokslider
Great insight. I leave in two weeks to hunt the last week of first season. I know it’s green in the gila, water will be everywhere and the moon will be bright, so I anticipate lots of glassing and then ambushing known bulls with some aggressive calling. We will see what we can pull out of there this year!

Gerbdog

WKR
Heading out for first archery hunt in the Gila... ill bring a canoe and some paddles for the blown out roads haha. Maybe i can use the paddles if my truck starts the float? your right though, its SUPER green down there right now and there is water everywhere and some roads are thrashed.

Dont try a crossing your not confident your gonna make, you'll end up on the news on the top of your truck awaiting rescue.

OP
Gila

Gila

WKR
Get into the unit a couple of days early if you can. You will have to compete with Labor Day campers. Wood cutters go in the first week of September also. People camp there with their trailers and load up their stove wood. They go where they want to, regardless of who is there hunting. But they will be in the easy to get to areas that are close to roads generally. If the water flowing across the road is moving fast, may not be a good place to cross.

Here in the South, the full rut is about two weeks later than the units in the North. With the full moon the bulls should be moving around visiting scrapes during the first week. Middle of the night bugles mostly. After the first week of the first season they will be chasing cows. Just generally though....ya never know.