New Mexico 2b

Jwestphal

FNG
First time hunting in New Mexico. Got drawn for unit 2b. And advise on areas I should pay more attention than others? Is the national forest a good area or should I stick to the BLM lands? I plan on going out next month to start getting a lay of the land.

If you search these forums, search google etc., you'll find that just about anything that can be said about 2b has already been said. It's got to be one of the most discussed and over-hyped units for any game species of all time. Congrats on the tag though, and good luck.

OP
J

Jwestphal

FNG
Alright, don't have any experience gents. Was looking for some help as a new hunter to New Mexico and was told this was a good forum to ask. Appreciate the inputs though.

BUCKELK

FNG
First time hunting in New Mexico. Got drawn for unit 2b. And advise on areas I should pay more attention than others? Is the national forest a good area or should I stick to the BLM lands? I plan on going out next month to start getting a lay of the land.
I hate unit 2B. Hard to strategize and hunt it like a hunter ethically should. I've literally walked into a roadless area 7 or more miles, gotten up high, glassed water all day and evening and seen nothing. Woke up the next morning early and everyone is just blasting them off the main road sage flats when they by chance see something. Not that that doesn't happen everywhere, but 2B is the worst I've seen.

I’m sorry but there is no “roadless” area in 2b. Roads are everywhere. However, many have locked gates and are only open to gas access. You certainly can walk or bike in but they definitely are not roadless.

proselio

FNG
Lots of does, Good luck!

proselio

FNG
Muzzleloader 2 years ago scored a little 6 pointer on last day saw deer every day mostly does.

Mattskeen

FNG
I drew a rifle tag in 2b 2 years ago and again this year. If you want to kill a legal buck from my experience you’ll have no problem. Saw hundreds of deer in my week down there. If you want to kill a 4 point or better buck, be prepared for a grind. I ended up killing a 160 4 point on the last day of the hunt and it was the biggest buck I saw in the 8 days I spent down there. A lot of people on the roads but I never really ran into anyone hiking much. The residents seem to just kill the first buck they see and by the end of the hunt there wasn’t a whole lot of people left. I’d recommend going a few days before the hunt opens and stay till the end. Also, bring chains. From what I hear the mud down there is no joke. Good luck!