New Mexico

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
Just received the email that I drew a first season muzzy tag in NM. Figured I would reach out here to see if anyone has experience with those units in particular in NM. All the pronghorn hunts I have been on are more truck glassing than anything but I would love to get some miles under my boots if there are areas away from the trucks and ATVs. If anyone has any advice I am all ears. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
There used to be plenty of Antelope at the base on that mountain, but I haven't been up there in several years.

OP
strousek

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
I figured that area would get hammered. Not a ton of tags for the units and lots of area I guess. I appreciate the input already.

My son had a youth muzzleloader tag there in 2019. It was a great hunt, but even the youth season pressure made the goats close to the roads a little crazy. There are benches up the mountain you really can't see from the road that had some bucks that we found, the Wilderness study area also is good to get away from the groups riding around. The Mountain is a lot bigger than it looks and kind of opens up when you are hiking. There are some drinkers up on the mountain as well. Across the highway is flatter and plenty there as well. Not much to hide behind on a stalk but fun to try.

abbrown

Lil-Rokslider
I ran into a herd of antelope when hunting elk there two years ago.

OP
strousek

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
I ran into a herd of antelope when hunting elk there two years ago.
I have heard of a small group over by Osier Pass in that area. I guess if there was one monster there why not. Be different to hunt one big one in a small area versus the typical pronghorn weed through dozens of bucks to find one in the right spot to stalk.

I have heard of a small group over by Osier Pass in that area. I guess if there was one monster there why not. Be different to hunt one big one in a small area versus the typical pronghorn weed through dozens of bucks to find one in the right spot to stalk.
Hey Strousek, How did your hunt end up going? I drew this unit this year for rifle. And was wondering what kind of success you had?

KHNC

WKR
So you have 5 posts. ALL FIVE asking specifically about someone's hunt. Hopefully in the future you will actually contribute. What unit did you hunt last year? How did your hunt go? what part of the unit did you hunt? Where did you camp? Please reply with specifics, or please dont ask anyone else.

So you have 5 posts. ALL FIVE asking specifically about someone's hunt. Hopefully in the future you will actually contribute. What unit did you hunt last year? How did your hunt go? what part of the unit did you hunt? Where did you camp? Please reply with specifics, or please dont ask anyone else.
KNHC, I appreciate your feedback. I am a relatively new hunter, and I am glad to share what I know.

OP
strousek

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Strousek, How did your hunt end up going? I drew this unit this year for rifle. And was wondering what kind of success you had?
They don't give out rifle tags for those units. Bow or muzzy only even for the youth tags.

They don't give out rifle tags for those units. Bow or muzzy only even for the youth tags.
This year they actually just changed it, because they removed scopes from muzzleloaders in new mexico.

OP
strousek

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
If you have a rifle pronghorn tag you will do just fine. Go scout it out yourself. They are not hard to find in flat country.