New Mexico Aoudad / Barbary Sheep questions...for an archery tag

cronsman

WKR
Hey all,
So I just drew an archery Aoudad tag for NM Unit 29/30 this coming January and was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me any tips or advice or maybe even general areas to start looking (if you're so generous).
Im going to try to scout as much as possible (live 4 hours away) but I'll be gone most of the year on deployment so it'll be a bit tougher to adequately prepare for this one.
I'm excited for the challenge (and oh boy what a challenge it looks like haha) but its the only thing I drew so really only thing to focus on!

Any help would be appreciated (scat, sign, patterns during that time of year, best time of day to find them, daily habits, etc)! Thanks in advance!

TX_Diver

WKR
I'm not saying anything. You drew my tag!!!

JK. I don't know anything about them other than a buddy I bow hunted ibex with took a barb with his bow a few months later so it can be done.

Good luck on the hunt!

Felix40

WKR
I killed a ewe with my bow in an OTC unit. Its just going to take a lot of luck. I would focus on areas with sheer cliffs. At least if you find one in the cliffs you will be able to have some type of funnel for them to travel along. If you try to hunt rolling hills I think it will be hard to get in range on a stalk and it can be hard to know which direction they will go as they feed.

OP
C

cronsman

WKR
Haha that’s why I’m trying to get as much info as possible. Thanks for the replies so far. Keep em coming!

Felix40

WKR
Another thing I thought of...they have a really strong will to live. More arrow holes would be better and give one a lot of time before blood trailing.

I stalked to within bow range of one while hunting them with a rifle and still managed to mess up the opportunity. Good luck. You'll need it. Serious bragging rights if you get it done. Report back.

Interested to hear if anyone has any tricks to get it done with the bow. I drew the ALW tag in February and would love to do it with the bow, but definitely going to have the gun at the ready as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northpark

WKR
We hunted them in Texas in January. Awesome critters. We rifle hunted and wiggling within 300 yards could be a challenge. The only time in 4 days we got within 50 yards was in real cliffs country. If I was gonna bow hunt one I’d be looking for one bedded in some cliffs I could come at them over the top. Oh and I’d be aggressive. Seems like they don’t stay in one place long.

hunter4life

Lil-Rokslider
I used to guide barbary sheep hunts in NM and have killed a whole bunch of them with people (70 or thereabouts). We were always rifle hunting, but I would say 10% of the kills were <50 yards. The best spots I found to get in close were in thick cholla cactus patches. If you could find them in there, then just get the wind good and you could get right in on them. The closest shot one of my hunters had was 10 feet on a 29"er. If you are not too picky about killing a big ram, then getting one with a bow is definitely achievable. I have hunted bow ibex and found that to be much more difficult than getting in close on aoudad.

I'd love to hear more about your hunt. Congrats on tagging out. I actually drew that tag for the 2023 season. Send me an email [email protected] I'd like to bounce a few of my hunt ideas off of you.