New Mexico area 16

Gila

WKR
This was a pretty fun read from the start. OP just couldn't be that stupid. But after the rest of his comments, maybe I'm wrong. Probably just an arse hat.
I don’t understand why you guys are slamming the OP myself. Some guys don’t even remember all of the states they put in for let alone one unit in a state they are unfamiliar with. He has some valid questions. 16A and 16D have similar hunts and similar elk populations. The same outfitters cover both GMUs. The Gila GMUs don’t have the best success rates in NM. There are much better units as far as success rates and odds to draw. The quality of the hunts in the Gila are exceptional. Very little hunting pressure, easy access in 16A and 16D, and massive bulls are why people put in for those tags.

Apparently he had a bad experience with getting his refund from an outfitter. Seems like a valid gripe to me.

Scoot

WKR
Gila, unless he's a buddy of yours I can't understand why you'd defend him. I agree he did ask a few valid questions. The other 90% of what he posted was uninformed, arrogant, rude, and much of it seemed fueled by an interest in trolling. If you disagree with that then we simply don't see this thread similarly.

The OP did a very nice job of baiting people into giving the kinds of replies he knew would come from his initial post. Then he followed that up by being a rude ass. Odds are good he doesn't have any tag in the gila, and as was said above, he certainly didn't come across as the kind of person who deserved one. I'd finish with a "JMO" but based on most of the replies above that take isn't unique to me.

Gila

WKR
I have seen some real dickheads on huntin n’ fishin forums over the last 20 years and he doesn’t come off as one of them. When you guys get nasty he doesn’t come back at ya. I don’t know him but I don’t have an issue with him. No one has to read his posts or reply to them.

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
Not slamming the OP at all. JMO ,on all his reply's seemed off. When he first described the unit at "Area 16", the thought maybe he was just confusing it with " AREA 51"

Scoot

WKR
I have seen some real dickheads on huntin n’ fishin forums over the last 20 years and he doesn’t come off as one of them. When you guys get nasty he doesn’t come back at ya. I don’t know him but I don’t have an issue with him. No one has to read his posts or reply to them.
I agree in some ways and I've definitely seen that too. But, there's no doubt in my mind he's a troll who's trying to get a rise outta people by being an ass. Have others been bigger dickheads in the past? Yep, no doubt. But, his posts referring to all the jealous hunters and his plans on how he's going to approach his hunt- he's a troll. The good news is, him being a troll who's trying to get a rise out of people has no impact on me. I'm not mad and I don't really care, but I do feel compelled to call a spade a spade (as I see it). I totally respect your take and if you see it differently, I'm perfectly ok with that.

Regarding your last sentence-- you're definitely right and that's the mature thing to do to handle things like this. I'm notoriously immature by nature, but I'll take your suggestion and drop it.
Good luck this fall, Gila!

Jethro

WKR
Sorry Gila, but no question can be deemed legit if the person asking doesn't even know what unit his tag is for.

If the OP drew in the guide pool, he's already under contract. The outfitter can answer all his questions. Most likely even tell him if his tag is either sex or bull only and what unit its good for.

Gila

WKR
Do you think the rut will show up early? I'll be in 16d first archery
I know 16d like the back of my hand. Last season the rut turned on in 16d like a light switch the 21st of September. The bulls bugled like crazy that day. The first half of sept the bulls will be running around the rubs and scrapes. I am a rifle hunter but I have seen the archery guys hiking in there during the first season. The monsoons have been good to us so far this year. There are more available water sources this season then there were last season. it is going to be a banner year in the 16D...

OP
Short Track
My guide told me it was a dry year!! That the antler tips were going to be lousy. This was about 2 months ago.

Gila

WKR
My guide told me it was a dry year!! That the antler tips were going to be lousy. This was about 2 months ago.
It is a quantum leap better than last year. Last year wasn’t as bad as previous years and the racks were in great shape over all. Chocolate beams with plenty of mass with few breaks, ivory tips. I saw few broken racks in the back of the trucks also.

Gila

WKR
I’d hold out for a 350+
During the first rifle....maybe. If you know where they are before the season opens. During the first archery, you could hold out for a 6x6 but if you have done limited scouting, you will have limited encounters. Jomho...

During the first rifle....maybe. If you know where they are before the season opens. During the first archery, you could hold out for a 6x6 but if you have done limited scouting, you will have limited encounters. Jomho...
I was kidding. Kinda. I’ve hunted the Gila 4x since 2012 during archery. I’ve had opportunities every hunt on 350+ bulls. I finally connected on this guy that is well over 350.

The 2nd pic is the one I killed in 2012. My first hunt in the Gila and he doesn’t quite make 330. I had moved to Hawaii and then found out I drew. There was no way I was missing that hunt and never stepped foot in the Gila until I hunted it. What a great place to hunt elk! And turkey’s too!

Attachments

• D1D68C85-F845-4302-A562-F128BD2C2EF9.jpeg
    D1D68C85-F845-4302-A562-F128BD2C2EF9.jpeg
    627.9 KB · Views: 72
  • B7B86FDC-128E-40D2-99DB-1667BC49DD19.jpeg
    B7B86FDC-128E-40D2-99DB-1667BC49DD19.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
The gods seem to have a strange sense of humor.
d5bd18d3c5a3b84a4addd30e327cdfb3.jpg

Last edited:

Jtapia12

FNG
16 is the cream of the cop in New Mexico You should start doing your homework and be ready they don't call a Gila monsters for nothing

Gila

WKR
Good luck better be in shape
I’m an old, fat guy and I don’t have a problem getting around In there. Just snake up the ridge and then snake the ridge back down. I live a mile high but generally only hunt up to round 8,500 ft. The elk in the 16s don’t migrate, they just move up and down. They will move around a few miles each day and they will move down into the winter range but other than that they are always in the same general area. As far as archery season goes, you will only be as successful as your skill set, but with a few days of preseason scouting you can get it done.

Gila

WKR
The hardest part for me in the Gila is not cardio. It’s the rocky terrain. My feet hate the Gila, but the rest of me loves the Gila
That’s a good point. In the early season I wear knee high snake boots. the rocks are a killer for sure. I have run into more buzz tails in there, early Sept. than I care to admit. so far I have only encountered the Hopis which are nasty enough but the diamond backs can ruin your day. I have not run into the killer mojave but they are in the Southern parts of the 16s from what folks have told me. Stepping over things isn’t a very good idea.