New Mexico area 16

come2elmo

WKR
I will be in 16a for second rifle. Trying to convince the wife it would be a great summer trip to go take a look...Is there anything around there that might interest her and the rest of the family. Took a quick looked at google maps and onx and civilazation is awful thin out there....Her idea of camping is a 30ft class c....with full hookups....

Gerbdog

WKR
I will be in 16a for second rifle. Trying to convince the wife it would be a great summer trip to go take a look...Is there anything around there that might interest her and the rest of the family. Took a quick looked at google maps and onx and civilazation is awful thin out there....Her idea of camping is a 30ft class c....with full hookups....
The Gila is an awesome area... although i'd say if your not into fishing, hiking, camping, etc. then it may seem like... the outdoors haha. There are some hotsprings in the area worth visiting but they are NOT (or atleast not the last time i was there) done up with concrete bottoms or anything, its just a mud bottom hot water area along the river. Gila cliff dwellings are also worth a visit if they are open if your into history and like seeing primitive structures in cliffs (its pretty cool).

Nick87

Lil-Rokslider
How is anyone going to help you if you don't even know what unit you've drawn a tag for.

OP
Short Track
I have no problem taking a 4x4 or 4x5 in a trophy unit. Just to piss you jealous people off. 1st one in sight
is going down.

Be prepared to hike a lot. Very Hilly terrain where the big bulls hang out. I did 12 miles/day.
Not a huge density of Elk but when you find them there will likely be a large Bull. They were bugling for me
2 years ago in 16D first rifle. If it wasn't for the hunting there is no reason I would visit the Gila.

If this is a serious thread you should hire an outfitter. Without one you may not see a bull and waste a great tag.
Secondly I wouldn't want to be packing out Elk alone in that terrain. The big boys don't hang out by roads.

BBob

WKR
I have no problem taking a 4x4 or 4x5 in a trophy unit. Just to piss you jealous people off. 1st one in sight
is going down.
Just like Grandma used to say to my stubborn bullheaded young self "You'd cut off your nose to spite your face young man, see how far that's going to get you!" :ROFLMAO:

OP
Short Track
Even if you get a world class bull. A shoulder mount is not fitting in your living room.
Looks like about 5000' 6000' on the elevation map. Is that correct ?

Gila

WKR
Maybe if you are poor it wont.
In NM a euro mount is about 300-400. Shoulder mount is 1100-1400. If I ever do get a 400+ I will build another room in the house if I have to! Having said that last year’s bull covered up quite a bit of space.

5000-6000 yes. altitude is not the issue. The Hills in 16D are fairly steep not rolling. It is rare you will catch a big bull out on any flats. They hang in the deep nasty shit toward the end of the rut. Especially second rifle.
You will see plenty of 290-300 class bulls on the flats but that is not what you go to 16D for......