New Mexico area 16

204guy

WKR
I'm just waiting ready to pounce on the niteforce, swalvoski fire sale thread.

horniac

FNG
I drew 1st week of Rifle. Area 16, not sure if it's 16A or 16D. Tag code Elk 242.
Any one familiar with this area?
What airports are closest?
How is the terrain ?
Odds of harvesting anything ?
Not even sure if this tag is either sex, or Bull only.
All I know it's in the Gila area of NM. Other than that, I'm totally clueless.
Oct 16th weather should be decent, will they be bugling still?
I‘m sure your outfitter will be able to answer all your questions...

Good luck On your hunt!

Horniac

mproberts

WKR
Don't worry, I'm coming home with a 7x7 320" ++ trophy. If you have nothing nice to say, go away !!! Never seen such a bunch of jealous hunters, ever.
I have no problem taking a 4x4 or 4x5 in a trophy unit. Just to piss you jealous people off. 1st one in sight
is going down.
How's all my jealous fellow hunters today ???

Confucius says: Those who wait for 400 class bull eat tag soup.
When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps.
-Confucius

OP
Short Track
From my notes, it's 16A, 1st rifle season. From research, the area will be crawling with guides. Obviously I was in the 10% pool, not the 6% pool. From reading about the amount of guides in the area, I can't imagine seeing any Elk after opening day. Not that I was ever there before, but it seems to be populated with expensive guides. Therefore, any 6x6 will be going down.

horniac

FNG
6CE7358A-487A-41F6-9FAB-87A06C855C4B.png
So you put in the guide draw to draw arguably one of the best tags in the state but are going unguided? I didn’t think you could do that...

Horniac

Jethro

WKR
From my notes, it's 16A, 1st rifle season. From research, the area will be crawling with guides. Obviously I was in the 10% pool, not the 6% pool. From reading about the amount of guides in the area, I can't imagine seeing any Elk after opening day. Not that I was ever there before, but it seems to be populated with expensive guides. Therefore, any 6x6 will be going down.
Why don’t you just discuss what the unit is like and what to expect on the hunt with the outfitter you’re under contract with? Rather than guessing.

BBob

WKR
View attachment 285703
So you put in the guide draw to draw arguably one of the best tags in the state but are going unguided? I didn’t think you could do that...

Horniac
He simply chose not to have the outfitter do the application for him. Under most of those services you pay the outfitter for the tag and then wait for them to be reimbursed by the state and then reimburse you. You can apply in the guided pool on your own but you must be under contract with a licensed outfitter. You enter the outfitter number on the application. You must use that outfitter if you draw, you are under contract and I believe if you void that contract you will lose your right to hunt with that tag. You must hunt with an outfitter at least two days in the field for it to be a valid outfitted hunt. Basically it, someone can correct or add details if they like.

Gila

WKR
actually it is second rifle.....first rifle is Mobility Impaired

some guides will respect your space....but some won't I am talking about the DIY hunters....

mproberts

WKR
He simply chose not to have the outfitter do the application for him. Under most of those services you pay the outfitter for the tag and then wait for them to be reimbursed by the state and then reimburse you. You can apply in the guided pool on your own but you must be under contract with a licensed outfitter. You enter the outfitter number on the application. You must use that outfitter if you draw, you are under contract and I believe if you void that contract you will lose your right to hunt with that tag. You must hunt with an outfitter at least two days in the field for it to be a valid outfitted hunt. Basically it, someone can correct or add details if they like.
One addition... the outfitter you applied under can release you from your contract to hunt with another outfitter. This is what some of the major application services do. They apply everyone under one outfitters number then release them to whatever guide they decide to go with.

horniac

FNG
Submitting my own apps under contract and using the outfitters # is the only way I have ever done the guide draw. OP says he put in via the guide draw but is asking about the hunt as if he is doing the hunt unguided. Not cool if he is...

Horniac

OP
Short Track
I love when people stalk me across the internet, cutting & pasting my posts. It's a compliment. You guys, most of you, were jealous and ruthless since my OP. and thanks to the 2 or 3 who were helpful, sharing information.

I know 16a has the reputation for #1 in the state, however I just don't see it with the amount of guides / diy'ers descending on the area.

BBob

WKR
Narcissist much? You really just cannot see why you got (and continue to get) push-back can you? Good luck with that attitude, your outfitter is going to love you.

16A the best? Certainly one of the best but mby not "the" best, that would not be fair to other fantastic units in the area. The number of guides and DIY has been the same for a long time yet positive people that put in the work have fun successful hunts so you just go on with your doubts and have a crappy hunt if that's what you want.