New Mexico, Arizona Archery 2020 recap

Sako300

WKR
Haven’t seen or heard of very many large bull elk killed this past archery season in both states? Usually, all the big outfitters have their flat brimmed hats pictured with 330-370’’ monsters???? Was the cow cycle off from the hot weather leading to September? I always thought September 18-22 were the prime dates? Maybe not this year? Do you think the rut and larger herd bulls will start closer to October 1st?

I have no idea! I'm here to hear from more experienced hunters.

I'm thinking something is odd this year. We have had heat, smoke, dryness...all the factors that I can think of that are throwing off the entire season before and all has been fine. Something is off right now, and it seems to be off for most of the Western US.

I have my flat billed hat safely stored in my pack...just in case I get that monster :)

Felix40

WKR
South central NM the rut seemed normal. Lots of bugling all of September. I’ve been wading through bulls trying to kill a bear.

Gila

WKR
Here in the Gila the rut is later anyway. The experts pretty much agree that the third week of September in most of the northern states, was supposed to the best week for hunting the rut this year. If one looks at historical data, the success rate for the 2nd archery season here is more than twice that of the 1st. The 1st rifle or ML season yields more and bigger bulls then any of the other seasons. The rifle seasons here in the 16s will still be in the rut and have not occured yet. I have seen some biggons come out of the Gila this past week. I mean some were the elk of a lifetime.

Having said that, there just aren't the numbers of hunters out there this season so far. The reason is covid and the economy. Here we have had rather strict travel restrictions and social distancing. We are still in a stay at home order as well. The only places I have been since February are the gas stations, tractor supply curbside service, and the mountains (by myself). Typical for those that don't live and work in the cities down here. Ask the question at the end of next month and you may get another answer.

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
Tons of huge bulls have hit the dirt in Az this year. The hunt ended yesterday. Give people time to get home and write their posts. I’m sure everyone will shar pics and gps coordinates here shortly.

Ctitus25

Lil-Rokslider
I was in 16A from the 15th to the 20th. Bulls were talking but really started firing off on the 19th and 20th. Had a few close encounters and ended up leaving 10in of arrow in a bull's shoulder at 30yds on the last day. That ended my hunt when we were unable to confirm the bulls condition due to lack of good blood. I'm bummed that I won't be bringing home that elk, but it was my first archery elk hunt and my guide taught me a lot.

OP
S

Sako300

WKR
Well, I know guys were finding dead elk with arrows in them Arizona from other hunters who lost them. The guys who found them are posting threads on the unit and specific arrow makes and bull size! Might want to try that route! That sucks man! I’m sorry

OP
S

Sako300

WKR
Tons of huge bulls have hit the dirt in Az this year. The hunt ended yesterday. Give people time to get home and write their posts. I’m sure everyone will shar pics and gps coordinates here shortly.
Don’t forget flat brim hats!😉

Ctitus25

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I know guys were finding dead elk with arrows in them Arizona from other hunters who lost them. The guys who found them are posting threads on the unit and specific arrow makes and bull size! Might want to try that route! That sucks man! I’m sorry
My guide knows to keep an eye out if he finds a dead head that looks like the one I shot, but that's in NM