New Mexico/Arizona Deer Outfitters

I've decided to switch things up a bit this year. Instead of my annual Wyoming Muley trip, I've begun exploring the possibility of a New Mexico or Arizona hunt. At my age, I've given up on the DYI approach a few years now, in favor of a few amenities like a nice bed and a hot shower. Though, I wouldn't rule out a comfortable wall tented base camp. I prefer a spot and stalk hunt, but not looking to ride around in a truck all day. Also, a bum knee keeps me from a rugged mountainous hunt. Flat and rolling terrain is more my speed anymore. Can anyone personally recommend a good outfitter?

I know nothing of New Mexico's or Arizona's draw system. I'm a nonresident with zero points, (if they even have them). Do I have a shot at drawing a tag for 2022, or would I need to start building points for down the road? Thank You, all.

SDHNTR

WKR
Drawing tags will be your biggest hurdle. AZ will take a lot of points and NM will take a lot of luck to draw anything good. I’d stick with private land in WY.

OP
eaglemountainman
Drawing tags will be your biggest hurdle. AZ will take a lot of points and NM will take a lot of luck to draw anything good. I’d stick with private land in WY.
I'd love to stay with the private that I hunt in Wyoming. I've come to know it real well over the years. Plus I've been able to draw every year with either 1 point or zero points on a Special. Unfortunately back to back years of late winter/early spring heavy snow storms, coupled with EHD outbreaks, have done a number on older age class bucks that were already stressed hard from the rut. Five full days and lots of miles on my boots turned up nothing bigger than a few young 2x2 and 3x3 skippers. Ended up tagging a decent whitey.

Is it true that Montana outfitter clients will get a better shot at tags beginning 2022? If it is, I could go that way too, I suppose.

GoBig

FNG
Your chances of drawing a tag in AZ or pretty close to zero, NM takes a lot of luck. Are you focusing or looking at deer or elk? NM mule deer tags aren't hard to draw as a Non resident but the quality or numbers aren't there. NM you can purchase Landowner elk tags but they are pretty proud of them. If i were targeting Muleys I would probably look at a guided hunt in Colorado where you can buy landowner vouchers, but these won't be cheap either.

Big difference between drawing a Strip tag and a regular desert mule deer tag in AZ.

I’ll gladly perpetuate the myth that only large mule deer can be found up on the Strip. Hell, the same for large Coues but they only exist in Mexico.

OP
eaglemountainman
Big difference between drawing a Strip tag and a regular desert mule deer tag in AZ.

I’ll gladly perpetuate the myth that only large mule deer can be found up on the Strip. Hell, the same for large Coues but they only exist in Mexico.
I've heard of the strip, but not familiar with it. I'm not pinned down to any particular area. Just looking for an honest and conscientious outfitter who can give a realistic opportunity at mature muleys. Any help?

Wheels

WKR
My suggestion is to give JP Vincente a call at Big Chino Outfitters in AZ. I had a good hunt with them a few years ago, they hunt OTC areas and have access to a big private ranch. Not a mountain hunt and nice camp accommodations. There are probably a few that will bash them for something that the kids did a couple years ago, but my experience with them was a good one.

GoBig

FNG

Lol, I am sure there are good deer. I was thinking more of the upper end point units. I am in no mans land with 11.

Lol, I am sure there are good deer. I was thinking more of the upper end point units. I am in no mans land with 11.
Some nice desert mule deer were taken during the youth hunt this year. Know about couple of 180” class bucks and one over 200.

Am in no man’s land myself for several species. Sucks booty.

Will be curious what happens going forward with the upcoming trail camera ban.

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
I’d get ahold of Michael Clifton with 3C outfitter in NM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're looking for a fun AZ OTC for Mule Deer or Coues check out SchulzOutfitters out of Buckeye. We hunted with 2 of their guides for late season elk back in November and both of them couldn't stop talking about desert mule deer hunting...in fact it is their passion! It will be archery only for OTC but some of the pics they showed us of muley's they had located were very impressive. The weather this time of year where they hunt will be pretty mild and not the most rugged of areas. It will be all spot and stalk...which is the funnest part to me.

NM doesn’t take to much luck outside of the north west units. Just research. Now Elk that’s different story.

Ranch only tags are OTC And draw is not bad if you do your research and use outfitter pool.

I’ve hunted deer every year for past five years.

I’m probably kicking myself by saying this though

Tourguide

Lil-Rokslider
I'd love to stay with the private that I hunt in Wyoming. I've come to know it real well over the years. Plus I've been able to draw every year with either 1 point or zero points on a Special. Unfortunately back to back years of late winter/early spring heavy snow storms, coupled with EHD outbreaks, have done a number on older age class bucks that were already stressed hard from the rut. Five full days and lots of miles on my boots turned up nothing bigger than a few young 2x2 and 3x3 skippers. Ended up tagging a decent whitey.

Is it true that Montana outfitter clients will get a better shot at tags beginning 2022? If it is, I could go that way too, I suppose.
FWIW, I got one of those outfitter tags in Montana this season. You are limited to land owned or leased by said outfitter. You can't hunt blm or state ground. From what I was told that was a 2021 thing and may not fly in 2022

Trap

Lil-Rokslider
FWIW, I got one of those outfitter tags in Montana this season. You are limited to land owned or leased by said outfitter. You can't hunt blm or state ground. From what I was told that was a 2021 thing and may not fly in 2022
I hope I am wrong but I read it differently. Beginning in 2022 they said outfitters clients would get purchase 2 preference points in the draw where a diy non resident only gets to purchase 1 per year. And they doubled the cost per point too 100. Will be probably sure thing to draw if you go guided