New Mexico Audad

Maah Daah Hey

Lil-Rokslider
I was just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to prevent snakes from coming near your tent at night in New Mexico. I have never been down there but from what I have heard, the snakes are drawn to your tent during the night because of the heat put off. The reason that I ask is because a few of us are heading down to New Mexico in February and we are planning on packing in and sleeping where we end up each night.

I am also wondering if anyone has any experience with unit 31? I am not asking for any "honey holes" but I am wondering what might be a respectable size Barbary for that area. I know that some areas are known for larger sheep. Are there any tips for a guy that has never hunted this animal before?

deadwolf

WKR
You could always try the trick from "True Grit" and put a rope on the ground around your camp : ) I'd be curious if that really works!

sk1

WKR
I was just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to prevent snakes from coming near your tent at night in New Mexico. I have never been down there but from what I have heard, the snakes are drawn to your tent during the night because of the heat put off. The reason that I ask is because a few of us are heading down to New Mexico in February and we are planning on packing in and sleeping where we end up each night.

i wish i could help you, this year ill be hunting some rattlesnake country and wonder the same thing. the best method i would imagine is the hammock style tent, but of course this requires trees solid enough to tie off to.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Will snakes be a problem that time of year? Figured it would be to cold for them to travel around much

OP
M

Maah Daah Hey

Lil-Rokslider
I am not sure if snakes will be a problem that time of year. I am hoping they won't but I have never been down there.

jamaro

FNG
The snakes are going to be denned up that time of year... That will be the least of your worries.. :)
J-

Shrek

WKR
How about the scorpions ? In north Florida and South Georgia if it gets warm in the afternoon they will come out. I had one crawling down my chest while in my tree stand last season. Makes my skin crawl just thinking about it.

jamaro

FNG
teens at night ramping up to the 60's. I can't tell if this thread is a joke or not... If people are afraid of desert critters then stay home. :) j/k.. Yes, there are plenty of ways to die out there.. Just be smart.... You will be fine... Snakes warn you and well scorpions, well... they are where they are

Shrek

WKR
I was just F'n with the op. I would never not hunt because of snakes and bugs or grizzlies for that matter. I did stop hunting the National Forrest around here due to dangerous predators. We had a serial killer hunting hunters for a couple of years.

hunter4life

Lil-Rokslider
No problem with snakes or scorpions at that time of year, I usually just sleep out under the stars during aoudad season.
I have never hunted in unit 31.

OP
M

Maah Daah Hey

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for that info Hunter4life. I definitely have been out in the woods with some nasty creatures crawling on me while I was in the military. Now that I don't have to "Work harder, not smarter" I figured I would ask from the experts and see if you guys had any advice.