New Mexico Bear OTC?

So from everything I have read, a Bear tag is OTC in New Mexico. Assuming that is correct, my question is, would it be worth buying one? I will be in Unit 9 for my archery Elk draw. I can not seem to find anything on the bear population in that area.

Does anyone have any general info on bear population in the area?

Felix40

WKR
Bear tags are OTC. I dont know how many there are in unit 9 but Im sure there are some. One thing to keep in mind is that hound hunters get to run dogs in Aug so the bears will already be under pressure by the time you get here

Austink47

WKR
As I understand it is OTC with a quota. If you call or email game and fish they will help you out.

CMF

WKR
hunting elk in 36 sep 15-24 and considering picking up a bear tag.
Is it legal to hunt the gut pile after you kill an elk and is this an effective strategy?

Unless your in a place that have service it might be difficult. You have to call in to make sure they have not filed unit quota.

ID2NM

Lil-Rokslider
hunting elk in 36 sep 15-24 and considering picking up a bear tag.
Is it legal to hunt the gut pile after you kill an elk and is this an effective strategy?
Yes, that is perfectly legal. However, if you alter or move the carcass in any way to improve your chances of getting a bear, it becomes illegal baiting. If the elk dies in a brushy mess then you're SOL. Ive discussed this with multiple wardens and its an often-used, legal tactic.

I don’t think most people are checking in their elk and the take on bears encompassed 2 units. I think there were 20 bears killed last year. There were less than 20 elk killed in 9? Seems like it was just a random statement.