New Mexico buck down

WKR

WKR
What a hunt!
Filled my public land southeastern NM antelope tag on the last day of the 3 day season. I scouted for a day and a half before the opener and located alot of big bucks and 2 trophy class bucks.

Opening morning I set up in a valley where we had seen a nice buck with his does the night before. After putting a stalk on him and getting into 300 yards from him and his does I put the spotter on him and decided to pass. I guess I just didn't want the hunt to be over yet. The rest of the day we came into alot of bucks and had plenty opportunities but they just weren't shooters yet.

Second day we went over the the complete other side of the unit where we had scouted up the funky big buck. Set up on the top of a water tank that gave a vantage point over the valley they had been grazing. Located the buck and his does and then played the waiting game. He just never got close enough. Hung up around 700-800 yards. So I got down and tried it on foot but he was too smart and there wasn't any cover to stalk in behind.

Third day I was starting to feel the pressure of going home empty handed. I told myself if I couldn't get on a good buck in the morning I would shoot a meat buck. We went back to "the valley of plenty" as we called it and started glassing. Found a decent buck and started making moves but his doe blew us out. So I told my buddy it was time to just go fill the tag, but as luck would have it on the way out of that valley we spotted a really nice buck and there was enough terrain to try and make a play on him. We stalked in and I put him on the ground.

He scores at 73.5 inches and he's got alot of character. Super happy with this buck and had a great hunt. I might not ever draw new mexico again being that I'm a non resident but I would love to go back.

If I was more proficient in long range shooting 700 yards plus, there was opportunity for some record book bucks, but I'm just not yet willing to shoot at game animals that far.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0(2).jpg
    imagejpeg_0(2).jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 299
  • imagejpeg_2.jpg
    imagejpeg_2.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
The big buck i passed on opening morning

Attachments

• 20210821_132639.jpg
    20210821_132639.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 248
OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
The funky buck

Attachments

• 20210822_071508.jpg
    20210822_071508.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 185
Congrats thats a very Nice buck. Not sure I could’ve passed that buck opening day though. He looks pretty tall and nice.
P.S is your buddy from Caccia Outdoors?

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
Congrats thats a very Nice buck. Not sure I could’ve passed that buck opening day though. He looks pretty tall and nice.
P.S is your buddy from Caccia Outdoors?
Thanks, yeah he was really tall. But looking back I think it was the right move. Would have missed out on alot of memories if I tagged out in the first 30 minutes.
Haha he sure is. You know him?

Thanks, yeah he was really tall. But looking back I think it was the right move. Would have missed out on alot of memories if I tagged out in the first 30 minutes.
Haha he sure is. You know him?
Congrats again. Don’t know him personally he just looked familiar and I’ve watched a few of their videos on YouTube.

Reactions: WKR

Wags

WKR
Well done, you got a stud, not a damn thing wrong with that buck at all. I'd gladly have taken him.

That's a great buck! Not sure I could have passed on that 1st shooter, but you made the most out of that hunt. Thanks for sharing and congrats!

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
That's a great buck! Not sure I could have passed on that 1st shooter, but you made the most out of that hunt. Thanks for sharing and congrats!
Yup I felt a little insane passing on that buck but it was the right choice in the end.