New Mexico deer tag 2B

wyodog

FNG
I found out yesterday that a friend and I were successful in the NM draw and we drew the muzzleloader tag for 2B. Pretty excited to say the least, this will be my first deer hunt in NM.

Anyone else draw a deer tag yet?

Any advice on area 2B?

Dapper

FNG
My son and I drew an archery deer tag for unit 36. We've never hunted mule deer before. We struck out for elk. I've hunted New Mexico once before, that was elk.

Good Luck and enjoy the experience.
Dan

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
Archery deer for 33... "that unit sucks" and "there's big deer in those dunes" is what I've heard so far... :)

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, that's what I keep hearing. I'm headed out that way on a road trip next weekend. Looking forward to it.

I'll be doing my first western hunt in 2B at the end of October, so if you could give me any insight to the unit that would be awesome (especially after you are there.) Hope you have a great hunt!

I found out yesterday that a friend and I were successful in the NM draw and we drew the muzzleloader tag for 2B. Pretty excited to say the least, this will be my first deer hunt in NM.

Anyone else draw a deer tag yet?

Any advice on area 2B?

It has been a long time since I looked at Regs for NM deer but I think that is 52 for elk? If so, I saw a MONSTER in there a few years ago. Maybe the biggest deer I have seen in the hoof- well over 200. That was in 52 while elk hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have also drawn a New Mexico 2B tag for this year.... but I am late Rifle season Nov 4-8

If anyone has any pointers it's appreciated - With my dates I am hoping for an early winter, I've done tons of homework on Google Earth and other Forums - going to be getting back away from roads and hoping to turn up a good buck... most of what I've read leads me to believe the majority of the unit is hunted from the road - leaving me at an advantage

Best of luck to the rest of you with the tag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be happy to pass anything along I find out once I put boots on the ground.

We had a heck of a time finding bucks, ended up shooting a decent little forky hanging out with does. Hopefully going to be a different unit for you than it was for us, as the migration may be moving through at this point. Lots of road hunters, so don't be afraid to hike and glass. Saw a few bears so be wary of that, and the horses there apparently attack people so steer clear haha. Talk to the oil guys there as they were very helpful, although be wary as many of them are paid by outfitters to help find big deer for clients. At this point you will probably be seeing more guides etc so expect some competition and pray for Colorado snow. Good luck!

Thank you!!! I just got the road an hour ago - I'll have a day of scouting, we brought the bikes to get deep behind the closed roads too

Talk to the oil guys there as they were very helpful said:
I never thought about the oilfield guys being scouts for the outfitters but that makes sense. There are roads all over that unit and they wear them out all day long!

I never thought about the oilfield guys being scouts for the outfitters but that makes sense. There are roads all over that unit and they wear them out all day long!

Yea I brought some almonds to pass along as "Thank you's" to any of the oil guys that help us out... (we farm almonds in Northern California) maybe I can make a friend and get some insight, as I've heard the same thing that they can be helpful in pointing out bucks