New Mexico - Draw Odds & Hunt Results Posted

robie

WKR
Anyone else see there unit have terrible harvest statistics last year?

I know it was very warm but I drew the 16E rifle hunt. Normally in the 30-50% success rate range went down to 17%. I'm hoping that was a product just how warm it was last year.

Any of you guys have a archery 16E tag?

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
That's how my unit was, 16C. I talked to some guys who hunted it last year and they said it was unreasonably hot and dry and everything seemed out of whack. I'm hoping this year is different.

Fitzwho

WKR
My hunt has been running 35-45% since 2013. Unit 37 rifle. About 30 tags per season and 9 to 13 successful hunters per year.

Hailes

FNG
I hunted 16C early archery last year from the 1st to the 13th. Rained for 3 days straight and temps were quite cool so they werent hitting water. Shot a 300 class bull on the 13th after they finally fired up for a day. I was then told the bulls never did fire up again for rest of season.

woodmoose

Lil-Rokslider
just means you all are headed for an EPIC year! Lots of holdovers,,,,,,

or so I hope for you all as I'm elk hunting vicariously through others this year

4IDARCHER

WKR
I drew 16A 1st archery. I am hoping if it has to be hot then at least we can find some decent tanks or ponds with good activity.

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
just means you all are headed for an EPIC year! Lots of holdovers,,,,,,

or so I hope for you all as I'm elk hunting vicariously through others this year

I just went to the gila and scouted during the extended weekend. You might actually be right, there was sign of elk everywhere! Also just about every cow I saw had a calf, and there were quite a few bulls that looked young, but not real young so maybe they all survived last season.

NMhunter92

Lil-Rokslider
Elk

All of you are going to be in for a great hunt. Elk everywhere and horn growth is looking good. Good luck

Jbark60

FNG
Anyone else see there unit have terrible harvest statistics last year?

I know it was very warm but I drew the 16E rifle hunt. Normally in the 30-50% success rate range went down to 17%. I'm hoping that was a product just how warm it was last year.

Any of you guys have a archery 16E tag?

Hate to burst your bubble but elk hunting in 16e has been terrible lately. Just got back from the archery hunt and the elk were few and far between. Not sure if it's the wolves or just over harvesting for the past few years but you're in for a tough hunt. I wish you luck buddy.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Hate to burst your bubble but elk hunting in 16e has been terrible lately. Just got back from the archery hunt and the elk were few and far between. Not sure if it's the wolves or just over harvesting for the past few years but you're in for a tough hunt. I wish you luck buddy.

Well crap. Not what I was hoping to hear. Did you find any elk?

I not going to be picky.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
We found elk, just not like it used to be. Have you been in the unit much?
My hunting buddy hunted it 4 years ago. We are going up 6 days early to scout. Just hoping to turn up a couple bulls.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I have been trying for 8yrs for a NM tag. I finally got drawn. I am so ready to go. I am hunting first rifle Oct 14-18th. I have never killed an elk. I did go hunting in Co on a OTC tag. Got blanked. My buddy got drawn last year in Co. I went with him, got blanked.... I see a pattern.... But I refuse to stop chasing them. I do not make a boat load of $$$ so I have to DYI all my hunting. Just getting drawn is a success... I will take that as a win..... Fingers crossed 25 days til I roll out. But whose counting......Good luck to all...be safe and enjoy the hunt.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
I have been trying for 8yrs for a NM tag. I finally got drawn. I am so ready to go. I am hunting first rifle Oct 14-18th. I have never killed an elk. I did go hunting in Co on a OTC tag. Got blanked. My buddy got drawn last year in Co. I went with him, got blanked.... I see a pattern.... But I refuse to stop chasing them. I do not make a boat load of $$$ so I have to DYI all my hunting. Just getting drawn is a success... I will take that as a win..... Fingers crossed 25 days til I roll out. But whose counting......Good luck to all...be safe and enjoy the hunt.
What unit you headed to?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I'm headed for Unit 52. Not sure how that will turn out. I'm a firefighter here in Houston and I busted up my knee during the hurricane. So I will be moving slowly. I've waited so long to get drawn then get hurt a couple weeks before the hunt. Dang dang dang.... oh well. I will still enjoy no matter what. Just getting to go is a win for me

I'm headed for Unit 52. Not sure how that will turn out. I'm a firefighter here in Houston and I busted up my knee during the hurricane. So I will be moving slowly. I've waited so long to get drawn then get hurt a couple weeks before the hunt. Dang dang dang.... oh well. I will still enjoy no matter what. Just getting to go is a win for me

I've hunted units around 52 and they are all target rich environments.
The last three season's harvest results for 52 first rifle have been: 30%, 25%, and 36%.
Looking at odds like that I'd be willing to bet you'll be able to create a few opportunities!

I see you hurt yourself. You can still make it happen!
Hunt smart, hunt slow, and get off the road! You'll get into them.
I went out with a guy last year on his first season hunt in a unit near yours... bulls were still talking, so keep your ears open!

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I am looking forward to the opportunity to create some memories. I do hunt hard and even when I whitetail hunt I don't go back to camp til after dark. There is no doubt that I will put the time in. Lets hope the Elk Gods are with me. I'd rather be lucky than good.