New Mexico Draw

Just submitted my application for New Mexico...poor odds but I’d be really happy with any of the units selected if I’m lucky enough. Tried to balance choice #1 (impossible odds) with two that were a little bit less crazy. We’ll see how it goes.

Good luck everybody!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryder12

FNG
So when is the deadline for the Texas draw? Lol. From NM and wish you good luck. It's hard. A NM resident hunting for 50 years and I have gotten 4 Elk tags and 4 antelope and I enter every year in mostly standard hunts. I use to enter Barbary, Oryx, Ibex. I got one Ibex tag and they canceled the hunt. I'd still like to hunt Ibex but it is a tough hunt. I thought bow hunting would let me hunt deer more and longer for trophy, wrong no tags for me. Zero tags last year.

NoWiser

WKR
So when is the deadline for the Texas draw? Lol. From NM and wish you good luck. It's hard. A NM resident hunting for 50 years and I have gotten 4 Elk tags and 4 antelope and I enter every year in mostly standard hunts. I use to enter Barbary, Oryx, Ibex. I got one Ibex tag and they canceled the hunt. I'd still like to hunt Ibex but it is a tough hunt. I thought bow hunting would let me hunt deer more and longer for trophy, wrong no tags for me. Zero tags last year.
There's no reason a NM Resident shouldn't be hunting for something every single year if they really want to.

There are a ton of elk tags I'd absolutely love to have as a NR that have >50% draw odds as a resident and there are plenty I'd be very happy with as a 3rd choice with 75%-100% draw odds as a resident. If you REALLY want to hunt, I think you need to evaluate your priorities come application time.

Our state sucks... I haven’t had a deer tag in like 10 years, I do get an elk tag fairly often but its ridiculous. Residents should not have this much trouble getting a basic deer or elk tag. In 40 years I have never drawn a rifle antelope tag, something is a miss

CAM_D

FNG
There's no reason a NM Resident shouldn't be hunting for something every single year if they really want to.

There are a ton of elk tags I'd absolutely love to have as a NR that have >50% draw odds as a resident and there are plenty I'd be very happy with as a 3rd choice with 75%-100% draw odds as a resident. If you REALLY want to hunt, I think you need to evaluate your priorities come application time.
This is the truth. The guys who complain about never getting a tag are not working the draw reports. You can't apply for Q/HD units all the time and expect to draw. I went 4 years straight drawing both deer and elk archery tags before I had a bad draw year last year. I even drew the coveted 2c deer archery tag in that run. I want to hunt every year, so my 2nd and 3rd choices are easier to draw units (archery) that may take more work to get an animal, but I get to go.

mproberts

WKR
poor odds but I’d be really happy with any of the units selected if I’m lucky enough. Tried to balance choice #1 (impossible odds) with two that were a little bit less crazy. We’ll see how it goes.
The year I drew it was my second choice which according to gohunt had exponentially harder odds that my first choice, so you never really know how it's going to play out. Good luck man!

misplaced lol

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
A guy needs to be careful when putting in for unknown units. I bought a LO tag in one ofthe tougher northern units last yr and it was as bad an elk hunt Ive done in over 3 decades of bowhunting.

The one day it snowed the previous night the 3 of us split up and in appx 30 miles of country we cut 2 cow tracks. Ive never seen it that bad in any OTC units in Co.

—-

Ryder12

FNG
Must be sooo tough getting 84% of the tags and having the 10% guide option for residents
You have that wrong. The NM draw attempts to distribute a minimum of 84 percent of the licenses for each hunt to New Mexico residents, 10 percent to residents or nonresidents who’ve contracted with an outfitter and 6 percent to nonresidents who have not contracted with an outfitter.

Very few NM residents are using an outfitter.

I'll look for those greater than 50% resident odds tomorrow if I get time. I highly doubt there are any. Here were my odds last year. Yes, I want to hunt deer in a Q region.

Capture.JPG

As for the Troll account BS, I assure you that I am not. But, when people post BS, I will respond with the truth. This started out as a joke to TX hunters re their draw. Then some hot shot CAM_D that does not know what he is talking about had to give his expert opinion regarding me not getting as many tags as he thought I should be getting. CAM_D please mind your own business sir. I here by grant you to ignore me.

Ten Bears

WKR
You have that wrong. The NM draw attempts to distribute a minimum of 84 percent of the licenses for each hunt to New Mexico residents, 10 percent to residents or nonresidents who’ve contracted with an outfitter and 6 percent to nonresidents who have not contracted with an outfitter.

Very few NM residents are using an outfitter.

I'll look for those greater than 50% resident odds tomorrow if I get time. I highly doubt there are any. Here were my odds last year. Yes, I want to hunt deer in a Q region.

View attachment 274500

As for the Troll account BS, I assure you that I am not. But, when people post BS, I will respond with the truth. This started out as a joke to TX hunters re their draw. Then some hot shot CAM_D that does not know what he is talking about had to give his expert opinion regarding me not getting as many tags as he thought I should be getting. CAM_D please mind your own business sir. I here by grant you to ignore me.

AGAIN.. 84% residents...
and 10% for guided pool. which anyone can use. YOU have that choice.
along with the choice to buy a LO tag or trade work with a LO'er for a tag or buy land and become a Landowner and get a tag, you are playing with a stacked deck. so save the poor me crap.

3 posts and you are crying about this...smells trollish.
you can draw a tag every year with minimal effort and planning.

this is like a sports team winning 90% of their games while the other team pays for a substantial portion of their salary and STILL complaining....

I have applied in NM for the past 5 years...some outfitted and some not. One year I had around a 88% chance of the tag and still didn't draw, had to laugh it off. Didn't stop me from hunting there though, just took some more effort on my part. Some of the most beautiful country I have been in. Can't wait to head back this year..

Good luck to all.

Last edited:
I'll look for those greater than 50% resident odds tomorrow if I get time. I highly doubt there are any. Here were my odds last year.

Really? Seems to me that there's well over a few dozen elk tags that are greater than 50% draw odds for a resident, and countless deer tags as well. A good number of those tags have over a 30% success rate, too. Unless goHUNT and toprut are lying to us.