New Mexico Draw

Mojave

WKR
Goal this year is a 32 plus Barb, not shooting one in a high fence just not the same.

Going to wait until I know what I have for tags and then book for Feb 22 in West Texas again, different outfitter though.

Mojave

WKR
FLA
West TX. is THE place for BIG FREE RANGE Barbary Sheep.
I've been twice and took a 34" and a 33".
FLAK what outfitter did you go with?

I hunted a big place (500,000 acres), but it was pretty flat and only about 5000 acres was sheep country.

Need to find someone who has a lot more land.

Mojave

WKR
Last year I had three friends that drew zero tags, and one of the game wardens in Las Cruces said the same thing.

One of my co-workers only puts in for elk and his wife only puts in for oryx. They aren't poor, and it's resident rates. So I don't really understand the strategy.

Just checked pending!

Last year I had three friends that drew zero tags, and one of the game wardens in Las Cruces said the same thing.

One of my co-workers only puts in for elk and his wife only puts in for oryx. They aren't poor, and it's resident rates. So I don't really understand the strategy.

Just checked pending!
Yeah I don’t understand it. As a NM resident you’re choosing to not hunt if you don’t draw so complaining is crazy. Apply for killer tags for first and second choice and a guaranteed tag for 3rd and you’re hunting every year.

Mojave

WKR
I explained to him that he had a 30% chance of hunting (he only applied for one muzzleloader elk unit), and she had a 10% chance of hunting. He works on WSMR, so she might draw a WSMR badge hunt.

ID2NM

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I don’t understand it. As a NM resident you’re choosing to not hunt if you don’t draw so complaining is crazy. Apply for killer tags for first and second choice and a guaranteed tag for 3rd and you’re hunting every year.
There is no such thing as a “guaranteed tag” as a resident in NM. Not even close.

Ten Bears

WKR
There is a whole thread dedicated to this argument.

Let's keep this one clean while we all wait for the crushing blow of rejection....or the slight chance of a great tag....

Good luck to all! It's getting close...

Mojave

WKR
My phillisophy is easy. I don't apply for tags that I don't want or for areas that are marginal at best. I also don't apply for units that allow a million people to be in the field at the same time (34 regular rifle deer).

I am also done with late season applications for elk on over prescribed units.

Here are my 5 criteria for picking a unit.

1. At least 65% public land and the majority of the habitat is available to anyone
2. Earliest rifle season available
3. limited quota, no reason to share the experience with half of the state.
4. Minimum 40% harvest quota met the previous year.
5. Trophy quality is only important on once in a life time tags, and then I want 100% success on those harvest from last year.

I live in New Mexico and I do not apply for female species hunts other than for bighorn sheep and ibex. I also apply in Arizona, Utah, Oklahoma, Texas, Wyoming and Montana for antelope, elk, deer, mountain goats and sheep.

Last year I drew 3 New Mexico tags, and 1 Wyoming tag. Covid screwed up two of the tags Wyoming elk, and New Mexico bear. And I got skunked hunting elk and javelina in New Mexico.

Pronghorns are my biggest priority, then sheep, goats, and elk. I hunt deer if I can get a tag but it isn't a passion of mine.

I also always buy mountain lion tags and bear tags here in New Mexico. If I see one and the quota is open I'll shoot one. So far this has not paid off, but there is always tomorrow.

I'd rather have a good tag than no tag. Not everyone has this mantra, but it works for me.

Mojave

WKR
Whoops.

No tag than a piss poor tag. That is my preference. I don't have time or patience for hunts with 700 of my best friends (34 deer hunts).