New Mexico Early Archery

I have been combing through forums looking for any information possible on unit 15 in New Mexico. I was lucky enough to draw the early tag 1-14th of sept. Let me know if you have any pointers or any place to start thanks a bunch! I am going non Outfitted and looking forward to the adventure. Thanks in advance, and God Bless!

Gerbdog

WKR
It's NM elk hunting... there are 350+ bulls behind every scrub bush.......

That early season is gonna depend a lot on how that area of the state is doing for monsoons. If they havent had good monsoons then all the wildlife is going to be near the watering holes just to survive.

If they have good monsoons and there are other watering places in the unit then i would look for the cows to find the bulls, the bulls are going to start moving looking for the cows.

I'd listen at night to see if the bulls are talking much, that early season can be hit or miss and often is a lot of spot and stalk and a lot less calling. Get up high where you can get a good vantage point of a couple drainages and just sit and watch. Doesnt mean you wont have a day when the mountainside is all fired up, but as i said, i'd wait to see if they will talk first.

Another, Hey I have this tag, tell me your info thread….Sheesh do a little bit of the work yourself and then search out some help in needed areas.

OP
sfarmory20
Another, Hey I have this tag, tell me your info thread….Sheesh do a little bit of the work yourself and then search out some help in needed areas.
Without the ability to take a scouting trip I am only trying to get some advice on where to start. Trust me, I know the work it takes first hand.

KHNC

WKR
Any units in other states you would like info on as well? New Mexico Unit 15 isnt what it used to be. Most of the big bulls are already dead. They were killed from info on threads just like this one. However, there are still a lot of elk in that unit to be shot.

Gila

WKR
1st archery season is usually very hot....the flies are horrendous the first part of September. The bulls will start to move around and they will want to wallow at least once in the evening and once in the morning before going back to bed. Find a wallow and if the timing is right, you will get a shot at elk. For typical elk behavior look within the elk herds triangle (bed, food, water). There are a lot of elk in GMU 15, the bull to cow ratio is quite high, and there are some huge bulls in there. If you are an experienced DIYer archery elk hunter...know elk behavior...put in 40+ hours of productive, boots on the ground scouting...and hit what you shoot at...will increase your chances of harvesting a trophy bull.

We had some good early monsoonal flow last month. This next week the monsoon flow will be at it’s peak. The first week or so of September can be very wet And flash flooding can be a problem. It is hit and miss with bugling or calling. The 2nd week is usually better than the first week. You have one helluva good tag there, make the most of it! The best advice I can give is: plan your hunt and work your plan.

Gila

WKR
Any units in other states you would like info on as well? New Mexico Unit 15 isnt what it used to be. Most of the big bulls are already dead. They were killed from info on threads just like this one. However, there are still a lot of elk in that unit to be shot.
If New Mexico handed out OTC tags I am sure that GMU 15 would have been hunted out long ago. However we take pride in our quality over quantity elk hunting. GMU 15 is a primitive weapons only (bow or muzzleloader) unit. And there are not very many tags available. I consistently see bulls harvested out of 15, 16s and 17 (another primitive weapons unit) that are 350 plus. A non-resident is lucky if they draw a tag to hunt these units in their lifetimes. It is difficult for residents to draw these tags as well. I have no problems giving information on HOW to hunt those units. I do have a problem with telling people WHERE the elk are in these units. But having said all that, if you can’t find elk in the Gila then you should take up golf! 👽

KHNC

WKR
If New Mexico handed out OTC tags I am sure that GMU 15 would have been hunted out long ago. However we take pride in our quality over quantity elk hunting. GMU 15 is a primitive weapons only (bow or muzzleloader) unit. And there are not very many tags available. I consistently see bulls harvested out of 15, 16s and 17 (another primitive weapons unit) that are 350 plus. A non-resident is lucky if they draw a tag to hunt these units in their lifetimes. It is difficult for residents to draw these tags as well. I have no problems giving information on HOW to hunt those units. I do have a problem with telling people WHERE the elk are in these units. But having said all that, if you can’t find elk in the Gila then you should take up golf! 👽
Being a resident of New Mexico, I would have assumed once you read my post, you would know i was being facetious. But, if you want to encourage more and more guys to post info like this online, with Specific unit numbers, then Ok. It will continue to be nearly impossible to draw for everyone, including residents.

Gila

WKR
It will continue to be nearly impossible to draw for everyone, including residents.
GMU 15 may have been a sleeper unit many years ago but the cat that got out of the bag is long since dead. I no longer apply for 15 because I have stakes in other units, so that will increase your odds by one anyway. I think the real reason why it is getting harder to draw these units is because the number of DIYer elk hunters is increasing. With e-scouting technology and cheap gear and travel, people are getting into hunting the Western states. I don’t have a problem with it, but as a resident I don’t want to lose my opportunities either. Just about all of the hunting magazines and some of the big “outdoors” product companies mention the best elk hunting units in New Mexico. Here is one:

OP
sfarmory20
Without the ability to take a scouting trip I am only trying to get some advice on where to start. Trust me, I know the work it takes first hand.
GMU 15 may have been a sleeper unit many years ago but the cat that got out of the bag is long since dead. I no longer apply for 15 because I have stakes in other units, so that will increase your odds by one anyway. I think the real reason why it is getting harder to draw these units is because the number of DIYer elk hunters is increasing. With e-scouting technology and cheap gear and travel, people are getting into hunting the Western states. I don’t have a problem with it, but as a resident I don’t want to lose my opportunities either. Just about all of the hunting magazines and some of the big “outdoors” product companies mention the best elk hunting units in New Mexico. Here is one:

I agree 100%, I am from Kansas, and we run into the same issues. The difference is the amount of public land/access out west. I feel there are more folks heading out west because everything here around home is either leased or the locals cannot compete with the big money coming from the south for hunting properties. We are Farmers/Ranchers and cannot justify paying hunting value for farm ground. Not complaining, because there are a lot of great folks coming in and supporting our small communities and I have met lifelong friends while they’re here hunting. I would say the “Kansas Whitetail” saying is the “New Mexico Elk” equivalent in terms of Advertising.

Gila

WKR
Most of the Elk habitat here in the South is public ground. There is also some private land open to public hunting. The state is just somewhat restrictive with allocating tags. Some states pay the landowner per acre for access to public hunting only. Other states hand out landowner tags for public hunting. New Mexico allocates unit wide landowner tags for public hunting access. Quite a few non-residents who don’t know the area and can’t get here for preseason scouting generally go with an outfitter. That is because GMU 15 is one of those trophy units that you may only get a tag for once in your lifetime. However, I have seen non-residents who claimed years of elk bow hunting experience walk out with 350+ bulls.

FOR A START
If you are coming from Kansas, you will probably come down I25 and exit at Socorro, to head West on Hiwy 60. If you want to grab some chow before exiting in Socorro, keep heading South and just past town a few miles is an exit for San Antonio. The Owl is famous for their green Chile burgers. If you want some great New Mex food, try the Crane. Socorro is the place to pick up on supplies or parts you might need. There is a Walmart and Tractor supply, auto parts...whatever you need. You will want to take hiway 60 from Socorro heading West toward DATIL. In Magdalena, you can get gas and food, ice. The restaurant there is really good also. Head West and past the VLA is the town of Datil. In September, the bulls bugle right in the middle of town.

There is RV camping in DaTil and gas. If you want to hunt the South East part of the unit turn left on Hiwy 12 which goes to Reserve. Down the road there are forest roads on the right (North). If you want to hunt the Northwest part of the unit keep going on hiwy 60 toward Pie town and Quemado. There is Elk all over the unit but they aren’t everywhere of course, so you will need to locate the herds that you want to hunt. I don’t know much about those two towns as I don’t have a reason to go up there.

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
15 is a big unit with lots of easy access to public lands and lots of elk scattered about in it. Seriously, just look at the maps and figure out the access and just go. I guarantee you will find elk one way or another if you keep at it. It’s not that hard!

Gerbdog

WKR
Most of the Elk habitat here in the South is public ground. There is also some private land open to public hunting. The state is just somewhat restrictive with allocating tags. Some states pay the landowner per acre for access to public hunting only. Other states hand out landowner tags for public hunting. New Mexico allocates unit wide landowner tags for public hunting access. Quite a few non-residents who don’t know the area and can’t get here for preseason scouting generally go with an outfitter. That is because GMU 15 is one of those trophy units that you may only get a tag for once in your lifetime. However, I have seen non-residents who claimed years of elk bow hunting experience walk out with 350+ bulls.

FOR A START
If you are coming from Kansas, you will probably come down I25 and exit at Socorro, to head West on Hiwy 60. If you want to grab some chow before exiting in Socorro, keep heading South and just past town a few miles is an exit for San Antonio. The Owl is famous for their green Chile burgers. If you want some great New Mex food, try the Crane. Socorro is the place to pick up on supplies or parts you might need. There is a Walmart and Tractor supply, auto parts...whatever you need. You will want to take hiway 60 from Socorro heading West toward DATIL. In Magdalena, you can get gas and food, ice. The restaurant there is really good also. Head West and past the VLA is the town of Datil. In September, the bulls bugle right in the middle of town.

There is RV camping in DaTil and gas. If you want to hunt the South East part of the unit turn left on Hiwy 12 which goes to Reserve. Down the road there are forest roads on the right (North). If you want to hunt the Northwest part of the unit keep going on hiwy 60 toward Pie town and Quemado. There is Elk all over the unit but they aren’t everywhere of course, so you will need to locate the herds that you want to hunt. I don’t know much about those two towns as I don’t have a reason to go up there.
I cant believe you didnt mention the buckhorn across the street from the owl.... a better green chili burger for sure..... you must be an owl guy, haha ;)