New Mexico Elk Draw 2022

svivian

WKR
Welp my Australia buddy drew 16d elk and come to find out our other buddy, who I helped hunt a trophy unit last year in Colorado, also drew 21a elk on his first ever time applying since they applied together. Both are for 1st season rifle lol looks like I will need to put two groups together for this season :ROFLMAO:

OP
KHNC

KHNC

WKR
Just applied for Idaho Super tag yesterday. The combo and the deer. So ill most likely draw one of those and hunt idaho this fall with a rifle in a controlled unit. :)

Fitzwho

WKR
Refunds hit last night as well. Now to decide what to do with those dollars. They're already spent as far as I'm concerned, so... decisions, decisions.

Nevada apps -$374 (Silver State Tags included)
Kansas - points (cousin's wedding in Canada during the ML season and an AZ elk tag during rifle, so no go for there this year).
Wyoming Pronghorn and Mule Deer? - Probably burning one or both of those point caches
MT Pronghorn? - maybe add that and do a multi-state, week long pronghorn hunt.
SD Black Hills Whitetails
CO Leftovers

Who am I kidding all my luck ran out for NM so it has to shift over to Utah right? I'll start planning my Henry Mt Mule Deer hunt now.

Last edited:
There was a lot of talk prior to the results being released about a substantial decline in applicants this year. Do we have to wait until next year to see that data?

@RuggedYogi I figured I’d use a 4 yr spread to show that applicants have increased while tag allocation 84/10/6 has remained the same (relatively speaking).

I ended up drawing mule deer but not elk unfortunately. Dates align with my hunts in Idaho and next year (Feb 2023) I’d like to use my existing NR license for Barbary sheep.

Attachments

• 9E00DD66-92B4-4209-8BE3-D26429553339.jpeg
    9E00DD66-92B4-4209-8BE3-D26429553339.jpeg
    361.4 KB · Views: 36
@RuggedYogi I figured I’d use a 4 yr spread to show that applicants have increased while tag allocation 84/10/6 has remained the same (relatively speaking).

I ended up drawing mule deer but not elk unfortunately. Dates align with my hunts in Idaho and next year (Feb 2023) I’d like to use my existing NR license for Barbary sheep.
Thanks for this.

I haven’t drawn a New Mexico tag in 5 straight years of applying. Tough state to draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven’t drawn a New Mexico tag in 5 straight years of applying. Tough state to draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't drawn in 15 years and that's playing mid tier units. Demand is high and keeps going up.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

FLATHEAD

WKR
I've never drawn a NM Elk tag, gotta be 15+ years.
Never drawn a Pronghorn tag.
Havent had a Barbary tag since they went to a draw.
Have drawn an Oryx (OIL) 2nd time applying, a couple deer tags and Javi.

I drew a first season archery tag in Northern NM. Excited for some high mountain adventure after a year break exploring southern NM!

No elk on my end. I did get lucky with a barbary tag though. I have another elk hunt lined up, so that's better for me date wise anyways.

My brother in law drew Unit 15 Oct. 15-19 Muzzy tag! I am excited to head back to NM and chase some bulls this year.