New Mexico Elk Draw Thread

ericF

WKR
Thanks! Gotta upgrade the optics with the cash I’m getting back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got 6 different refunds from NMDGF on the credit card this morning so check your account if you are waiting on the refund to hit.

HankNM

Lil-Rokslider
Well I did not draw this year. Only the 5th time in 15 straight years of applying in NM.
Never drawn a true trophy unit tag really,but usually fill a tag.
Will have to do some OTC here @ home.

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
hey everybody. well I am guessing by now everyone knows their draw results for NM. I was blessed enough to draw for rifle MB hunt in Unit 6a. I have hunted this unit before and I really do like it.

After 5 years of applying I drew 16b/22 NM Archery Sept 15-24. Not at all familiar with the units. Does anyone have any information will to share?

Loco4dux

WKR
After 5 years of applying I drew 16b/22 NM Archery Sept 15-24. Not at all familiar with the units. Does anyone have any information will to share?

Call Tom Klumker at SF river outfitters ASAP as he’s almost full it sounded like.

Ccoggin

FNG
I've applied 5 years in NM as a resident for elk, deer, and oryx. I've never drawn an elk or oryx tag, and only one good deer tag (2B). This is my first year applying as a NR and I'm more excited this year with lower draw odds. What is wrong with us? Haha
I drew unit 2C for the January archery mule deer. Any advice on what to expect as far as terrain and weather?

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
I drew unit 2C for the January archery mule deer. Any advice on what to expect as far as terrain and weather?
I can help you, I've hunted it a few times.
-Mud! If the temps are cold, the roads stay frozen. If it warms up during the day, it'll be a mudfest which can really limit the areas you can drive to.
- Cold! It can be REALLY cold at night. My SXS wouldn't start until mid-afternoon last trip as it was so cold the battery didn't have enough power to turn it over. Everything in my cooler, located in my vehicle, froze solid the first night. I was told it was -6F at 6am, not sure what it actually got to as I didn't have a temperature gauge.
-Crunchy snow or mud. Really depends on the temps, but hiking/stalking can be tough.
My advice, have tire chains and know how to use them. When you need them, you need them. Be careful about where you go. There are roads that run into areas you may not be able to drive out of nor turn around. A winch on my SXS was a reassurance a few times. You'll see A LOT of road hunting. Last time I was up there, those were the only bucks I saw killed, from road hunters. I put a lot of miles in each day away from roads and had fun, but it was a tough hunt.

EDITED to correct spelling from auto-correct.

Last edited:

Ccoggin

FNG
I can help you, I've hunted it a few times.
-Mud! If the temps are cold, the roads stay frozen. If it warms up during the day, it'll be a mud test which can really limit the area you can drive to.
- Cold! It can be really cold at night. My SXS wouldn't start until mid-afternoon last trip as it was so good the battery didn't have enough power to turn it over. Everything in my cooler, in my vehicle, froze solid the first night. I was told it was -6F at 6am, not sure what it actually got to.
-Crunchy snow or mud. Really depends on the temps, but hiking/stalking can be tough.
My advice, have tire chains and know how to use them. When you need them, you need them. Be careful about where you go. There are roads that run into areas you may not be able to drive out of not turn around. A winch on my SXS was a reassurance. You'll see a lot of road hunting. Last time I was up there, those were the only bucks I saw killed, from road hunters. I put a lot of miles in each day away from roads and has fun, but it was a tough hunt.
Thanks for the advice. I'm using an outfitter so hopefully that will help some. As far as stalking, is there much cover up there or is it open terrain? I'm just hoping to get within 80yds or less.

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the advice. I'm using an outfitter so hopefully that will help some. As far as stalking, is there much cover up there or is it open terrain? I'm just hoping to get within 80yds or less.

An outfitter should know the drill up there, and be able to navigate just fine. IMO, there is plenty of cover in most areas. It's a mix of PJ with some pines for good measure. I saw several bucks, but closing the distance was the hard part. The issue was mostly the crunch of the snow last trip. I've gotten to 35 yds before, it all depends on the weather and temps.