New Mexico elk hunt 2022

Hello all
So a buddy and I drew rifle elk tags for oct 15-19th in unit 51 for this year. I live in Washington and normally just hunt Wa,ID, and AK. Do to work I will not be able to make the long trek to our unit this summer to scout. I am planning on going down for 5 days before the hunt and hunting the 5 day season. I don’t normally head to the internet to try to get info about a hunt as I know the best info is picked up in the field but figured I’d give this a try. I’m not looking for any honey holes I was just wondering if anyone who may have hunted this tag before or lives in the area would want to give me some guidance on what to expect from this hunt, general areas as a starting point to find elk, areas to cross off of my list, things like that or really anything you may think would be helpful. Feel free to shoot me a message if you would like.
Thank you very much

That is where I saw my first elk. We were camped by a creek and as the shadows got kinda long I heard a freaken herd elephants crashing through the woods up on a hillside. A bunch of calves and cow elk stepped out of the trees surveyed the landscape and promptly trundled straight down the hillside into the creek like a bunch of ducks or otters. While the calf and cows were mucking around having a party several bulls moseyed around from the other side of the creek and calmly enjoyed some fresh grass and a drink. Haven't drawn that tag yet.

Hey Olypenhunt,

I drew the Oct. 22nd rifle tag for this year. Really looking forward to it! Happy to crossreference ideas etc. I don't know much but have chatted with a couple of guys who have has success in the unit.